STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Little peek at my system...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSquared
LMAO. Yeah they are. Especially the Orions. Pfft. Who the fuq uses UNregulated power supplies these days? Especially when the amp can run at 0.5 ohm, what kinda retard would want this 1/2 ohm, unregulated power supply for an amp...on 16 to 18v? Sheesh.

might trade for a JL...I hear those do 1k at 1 ohm....or 4 ohms.
answer, and SPL competition guy as that wouldnt be a nice amp for daily.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
answer, and SPL competition guy as that wouldnt be a nice amp for daily.

Says who? I ran my 250 at .5 ohms for almost a year, no problems.

The 2100s will be ran at 1 ohm, so that seems pretty good for a daily setup, considering these amps love to be 1 or below.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by iregret
Do tell!

I'm building up my rcsb right now.

Havent put much thought, designing, or planning into it yet, as I dont have the toy to play with. I do know this...I wont have a head unit in it.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never messed around with Orion amplifiers. You may be able to drive them at a 1/2 ohm load, but whats the total harmonic distortion at that level?

What exactly are the model numbers? I'd like to look into them. It's been so long since I've been in the car audio, that I don't even know what is good anymore. Are Orion amplifiers American-made?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2100s will be ran at 1 ohm, so that seems pretty good for a daily setup, considering these amps love to be 1 or below.
If you have the electrical to support that amp running <1ohm, you shouldn't have an issue (in theory), but efficiency decreases drastically when running ohm loads that low. Even with a proper electrical system you could run into problems, there's always going to be a weak link...and that's coming from someone who ran a pair of modified Rockford T40001bd at .5 ohms each and a more than adequate charging system to run them
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Not to step on ANYONE's toes...

Run THIS amp before you claim anything about it. I've been running the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Orion HCCA amps since 1997. I've ran them at .5 ohm with clear sound, as well as at 2 ohm. If you havent owned and ran this amp, you dont know anything about it, other than what you've read. People who've never ran it claim I "might" see 1k at .5 out of it. This is 100% mil-spec american built. Not half chinese crap that started coming out of our american companies in the late 90s.

If you want to compare another amp to this... Put it in my truck.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to step on ANYONE's toes...

Run THIS amp before you claim anything about it. I've been running the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Orion HCCA amps since 1997. I've ran them at .5 ohm with clear sound, as well as at 2 ohm. If you havent owned and ran this amp, you dont know anything about it, other than what you've read. People who've never ran it claim I "might" see 1k at .5 out of it. This is 100% mil-spec american built. Not half chinese crap that started coming out of our american companies in the late 90s.

If you want to compare another amp to this... Put it in my truck.
I'm sure they're very well made amps, but they can't create power magically. As impedence decreases so does efficiency, while current draw will increase...given that pwoer does actually increase when lower impedence. I've seen instances where efficiency decreases so much that you gain little to no power dropping to .5 ohms.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Look them up. Do research. There's PLENTY amps that are damn near MADE to run at half ohm.

There's a difference between the 2100 HCCA and 2250SX. And that isnt JUST the color change from red to black. The HCCA line up can handle the lower ohm loads...Hence the reason they were all dubbed "cheater amps"
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You never answered my questions. What is the exact model number of the amplifier you're defending and what is the THD% at 1/2 load? I'm seriously interested.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deal with 12v and have for 24 years, 16-18 v capability, ability to run at .5 ohm, unregulated power supply scream compeition amp...now can it work in a 14.4v system, sure, but wont do max power like it was intended to do.

Quick Reply: Little peek at my system...