STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Sound deadener; How much and where

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadener; How much and where

I'm planning to get my stuff from Sounddeadenershowdown.com Problem is I don't know how much I need or where to concentrate my efforts to have the greatest impact on both noise reduction and sound quality. Since I'm not a hardcore audiophile and and just want the truck to be quiet and enhance the music, I believe I'll be fine with his CLD tiles and the mass loaded vinyl. Does anyone agree or is the CCF something I should really consider as well? How much of both am I going to need to have it work properly in my 01 Sierra extended cab? Where should I be placing the tiles on these trucks? I'm new to these trucks and don't know where they are lacking in sound control. I figure the roof and back wall are possibly good locations. Then there are the doors of course. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I used Fatmat when I did my old 02 but honestly any place you can manage to put it is going to help. The roof is probably one of the biggest ones to try and focus on since it's one of the areas where the metal is the thinnest and you get a lot of vibration and loss of sound there.

Here are a few pictures of when I did mine.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Im in the process of putting second skin in my ext cab, its the best product ive ever seen. I got 32sqft of their b-stock damplifier and 30sqft of b-stock damp pro with roller for around $250. From the looks of the amount of dampner I got I should have plenty to do my truck.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raam audio, best there is IMHO. Talk to Rick, he has been doing this for years.

I did my doors and tailgate with RAAMmat and it is a night and day difference, but there is certainly a method to where and how much, which is why I recommend calling.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roof. Dont forget roof.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

If you're going to go all out with MLV and CCF, you only need about 20-30% coverage with your CLD tiles. covering 100% wont hurt anything other than your wallet, but it's really unnecessary. When you put down the MLV, make sure it has 100% coverage, and any seams are bonded as the only way MLV will work the way it's supposed to is to be a completely sealed layer. Same with the CCF.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the feed back everyone.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer to your question is on the site you mentioned and several other sites through google. The general rule of thumb is to cover 25% of the panels. It's easy to go overboard.

I always used secondskin. The last batch of stuff I ordered was from raamat. Honestly, the products are very similar. What you want to look for is butyl rubber. I have tried fatmat in the past and it was garbage. At least it was then. They may have changed their formula, but it used to basically be peal and seal you could find at home depot or lowes.

If you're on a budget, I would go with raamat. Order some bxt and ensolite foam. My current build is the first time using peal and stick ensolite foam. So far it's really working great! I'll report back after I'm done with the install.

How much you want to use really depends on your goal.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Justin. I was aware of the 25% rule but didn't know if anyone knew how many tiles or sq ft that was. I also wasn't sure of the "problem areas" on these trucks that needed the most attention if there was such areas.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I'm in the middle of deadening mine. I'm going for a bit more overkill than most. I would establish your budget and buy from raamat. Honestly.

In my experience, the roof reaches a point of diminishing returns. Perhaps it's different on these trucks. I'm going to deaden the roof and then cover it in the peal and stick foam. Matter of fact, I'm ordering a few more yards of the ensolite.

What I would do is concentrate on the doors. I'd seal up the holes in the doors and the pillar behind the door.

Here's the how to from the raamat site:

How-To

I would guess it would take 6 yards of ensolite and 2 packs of bxt 2 to do the entire cab. I would start with 1 pack of the bxt 2 and 4 yards of ensolite. Deaden and see how it sounds. If it needs more you could order some more.