STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

component install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default component install help

1st off, is the A pillar preferred for tweeter mounting versus the stock location? My tweeters have a depth a little less than 3/4". Is there enough room behind the pillar for this?

Secondly, would anyone know approximately the gap between the door panel where the mid would mount and the grill on the door panel? The speakers I got are large and, well, don't fit the regular mount. By my measurements I'm going to need a spacer around 3/4". Just wondering if this is going to leave enough room vs. hitting the speaker grill.
Attached Thumbnails component install help-img_1932.jpg  
Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

What year truck?

I always use a spacer ring on my door speakers, either 1/2" or 3/4", so you should be fine. Be careful where you drill for the tweeters, I put them in a spot they looked real good, but when I went to pop them in, they hit the a pillar metal. I had to get new pillars and cut them a little lower where the metal structure opens up

edit: I just looked at the picture better and realized you're trying to put the 6.5 in the stock mount, can I ask why? I wasuld get a set of spacer rings and securely mount those to the door, then screw the speakers into that ring
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

sorry, 02 tahoe.

I used 6.5s on my old cab, and I also replaced the front and rear door speakers in this tahoe with 6.5" polk coaxials.

The Focals have a cutout diameters of 5 9/16" which is huge. According to crutchfield's specs that's essentially the same size as the hole in the door. The depth of the speaker is also near 3" which is slightly over spec.

I came across these adapters on car speaker adapters.com. They are 1/4" thick and based on the crutchfield specs, should allow these to clear in all dimensions. The inner diameter of the adapters is 5.5", so I will probably be able to just dremel them down a bit to fit the speaker.
Attached Thumbnails component install help-adapter.png   component install help-fitment.png  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I had to clearance the openings in the door panels to keep the surrounds from touching on excursion with a set of Infinity 6.75s. IIRC the panels are resting on the speaker mount flange. There is probably another half inch or so from the door panel to the metal grill.
For the tweeters, I riveted a plate in place of the stock tweeter and mounted the aftermarket tweeter to it with an angled mount. Sound stage may be slightly better from the A-pillar but stock location is good enough for me and it was easy.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I got rid of the bracket/mount and screwed the speakers directly to the door panel. Seal off the edges of the speakers if there's a gap ( I had a small gap with 6.5") and put a foam ring on the front of the speaker to meet the door panel
Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I got rid of the bracket/mount and screwed the speakers directly to the door panel. Seal off the edges of the speakers if there's a gap ( I had a small gap with 6.5") and put a foam ring on the front of the speaker to meet the door panel
That's what I've done previously, but these Focals are so beefy, according to the Crutchfield specs the depth is borderline beyond the available space (requiring spacer).
Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That's what I've done previously, but these Focals are so beefy, according to the Crutchfield specs the depth is borderline beyond the available space (requiring spacer).
Hold it in the door and see if it clears the glass, then you'll know.

If I remember correctly there is 1/2" to 3/4" between the panel and door frame.

Random idea. Take a paper clip and straighten it out, stick it through the grill on the door panel all the way into the door until it touches the door frame and measure that distance. Do it all the way around the speaker. Then subtract about 1/8" for door panel thickness and the thickness of the speaker frame. Take off another 1/8" for foam roll on the front of the speaker and you should have a pretty good idea of the distance.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update to this.

I got the speakers installed with the mids in the doors and tweeters in the A pillars. Despite what the crutchfield site said and despite the massive size of the Focal mids, they fit rather easily. I did have to drill holes in the door for the speaker to secure it but it was no big deal. There was no issue with rear clearance and no issue with the window either.

I've currently got the setup powered with 100w RMS passive through the focal xovers. I'm probably going to get rid of the crossovers and use 4 channels to independently power each driver so I can tune everything properly. Obviously with the mids in the doors and tweets in the pillars each speaker needs individual time alignment as well as EQ per channel. I'm currently using a basic JL 5 channel amp (RD 900/5) but thinking about upgrading the to VXI 5 channel which has all the processing power built in. It will give my sub a little more oomph too.
Attached Thumbnails component install help-img_1991.jpg   component install help-img_1992-1-.jpg   component install help-img_1994.jpg  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice install. Does it sound like the time alignment is off with the tweeters up in the pillars?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not terribly noticeable to be honest. It does seem like the tweeters are more pronounced than the mids however. With that JL amp with the built in DSP I could time align and EQ each individual speaker. It will give me a lot more flexibility over my current 2 channel setup with the passive crossovers.

Quick Reply: component install help