STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Best harness for electric fan retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I also did the 145A alt... my OE one died one day and I just bought that one instead of the 100A or whatever it was. Only cost acoupla pennies more in that moment. Bolted RIGHT ON and my existing belt even still fit. Just barely but that's all it takes.

Then when I went to the electric fan, I experienced no electrical issues whatsoever. Smooth as glass.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
I also did the 145A alt... my OE one died one day and I just bought that one instead of the 100A or whatever it was. Only cost acoupla pennies more in that moment. Bolted RIGHT ON and my existing belt even still fit. Just barely but that's all it takes.

Then when I went to the electric fan, I experienced no electrical issues whatsoever. Smooth as glass.
All gen III and I think gen IV engines, (even the 4.3 v6, up to the 6.6 diesel and 8.1), all use the same alternators. IIRC its the 04 and 05 that use a 4 pin plug, and the rest use a 2 pin plug, they all use the same alternator mount. Other than that ALL alternators are based off either the 105 amp small case design or the 130 amp large case design. The large case has a slightly larger pulley and uses a 3/4" longer belt. I would think you could get it to fit just fine, but I would expect you are putting extra pressure on the tensioner at least. Not sure if you could be causing extra drag
Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
All gen III and I think gen IV engines, (even the 4.3 v6, up to the 6.6 diesel and 8.1), all use the same alternators. IIRC its the 04 and 05 that use a 4 pin plug, and the rest use a 2 pin plug, they all use the same alternator mount. Other than that ALL alternators are based off either the 105 amp small case design or the 130 amp large case design. The large case has a slightly larger pulley and uses a 3/4" longer belt. I would think you could get it to fit just fine, but I would expect you are putting extra pressure on the tensioner at least. Not sure if you could be causing extra drag

Almost all of that is wrong.

From 99-05 ish they were 4 pin. Later they went to 2 pin when they added the amperage sensors to the battery cable and did more PWM control over the alt

The large case alternator does not have a larger pulley. They are the same. I've compared several of them. I've done 145 amp alt's on F bodies and trucks and the belt fits, it does pull on the tensioner a little more though, but on my F body that worked out great and helped keep it from tossing the belt on the 1-2 shift

The larger case is larger, so the center of the alternator is a little further out, that pulls on the belt a little more, it's not due to a larger pulley.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Almost all of that is wrong.

From 99-05 ish they were 4 pin. Later they went to 2 pin when they added the amperage sensors to the battery cable and did more PWM control over the alt

The large case alternator does not have a larger pulley. They are the same. I've compared several of them. I've done 145 amp alt's on F bodies and trucks and the belt fits, it does pull on the tensioner a little more though, but on my F body that worked out great and helped keep it from tossing the belt on the 1-2 shift

The larger case is larger, so the center of the alternator is a little further out, that pulls on the belt a little more, it's not due to a larger pulley.
So the only part that's different was the pulley is in a different location and not a different size but the end result is the same thing, and I got the plug count backwards, whoopdie doo, okay whatever dude.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I wanna **** in the wheaties!

Doesnt matter what year alt you buy because the regulator can be swapped/modified to fit any application!

*145amp, stock belt for me too. Swapped it in my work parking lot. My 105 lasted 5yrs or so with e fans, but I added the small stereo and some grounds/power cables and all of a sudden the 105 was done for. At work, luckily. 15mm box end, 10mm socket, 13mm socket. If it takes you more than 15mins to swap, you dont work on **** often enough rofl
Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by adriver
So the only part that's different was the pulley is in a different location and not a different size but the end result is the same thing, and I got the plug count backwards, whoopdie doo, okay whatever dude.

He mad

The following users liked this post:
ZO6Ted (08-25-2019)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I wanna **** in the wheaties!

Doesnt matter what year alt you buy because the regulator can be swapped/modified to fit any application!

*145amp, stock belt for me too. Swapped it in my work parking lot. My 105 lasted 5yrs or so with e fans, but I added the small stereo and some grounds/power cables and all of a sudden the 105 was done for. At work, luckily. 15mm box end, 10mm socket, 13mm socket. If it takes you more than 15mins to swap, you dont work on **** often enough rofl

Swapping the regulator is a big job, lots of soldering involved and the small case alternators use different regulators than the large case.

You can however swap connectors easily to make it easy.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

By all means not saying the reg swap is easy, but swapping the alt is. But the whole year argument only has merit for PnP compatibility. If you want to tinker, any year 145 is good enough.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have a guess as to what a dealer would charge to enable the fans?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by arthursc2
By all means not saying the reg swap is easy, but swapping the alt is. But the whole year argument only has merit for PnP compatibility. If you want to tinker, any year 145 is good enough.
I agree

Originally Posted by Nick99Chevy
Anyone have a guess as to what a dealer would charge to enable the fans?
They don't do that, it's custom tuning.