STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Adding amp to stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 AM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Adding amp to stock radio

I've been out of the stereo game since high school and with the Bose in my SS, it's got just enough thump to make me miss having a real sub/amp combo. I'm keeping the stock 6 disc head unit (if at all possible), is there a way to use the Bose subwoofer feed from the console to power an aftermarket amp and sub? I plan on running a single 10 with 300-400 watts if it makes a difference. If that's not possible, or there is a better way, what is the best way to run an aftermarket amp and subwoofer to the stock head unit? Explain it to me like I'm retarded.... because I am
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 AM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay so basically you want to wire tap the pos & neg stock wires for the sub? what is it that you want to use it for? to power the amp? i'm slightly confused sorry lol the best way to run an aftermarket amp & subwoofer to the stock radio is to go pick up a HI-LO converter & tap into the sub speaker wires...you're still going to have to run a power wire & a ground wire for your aftermarket amp but the RCA's will go to the HI-LO conv. they cost like 30 - 50$ varying with brand/remote triggers stuff like that
Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To simplify my question.... is the best way to add an amplifier to run a single subwoofer the Hi-Lo converter route? Or is there a better way utilizing what is there already?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
apple bottom jeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a LOC(line out converter) and tap into the rear speaker wires, the LOC converts from speaker wire to RCA jack's so you can plug an amp into it. The LOC will usually ramp the voltage up a bit so your amp gets a nice signal.

Just be careful about where you tap into, make sure you don't tap in after an amp or you might blow the LOC. Tap off the lines coming into the amp and you should be fine.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

just so that nobody gets confused is a LOC not the same as a high-lo converter? same thing just different names correct?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 PM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by 2004RST
just so that nobody gets confused is a LOC not the same as a high-lo converter? same thing just different names correct?

you'll get better results searching for LOC, i've never heard them referred to as hi-lo converters...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Where's the Beef?

Hi-Lo converter is a Crossover that splits the signal into High and Low for splitting the signal to the proper speakers.
you just need the LOC and tap into the rears so you can hook the RCA's up to the amp. then just run the Remote wire to the Fuse box.

Even if you used a crossover to split the signal, you would still need the LOC to use RCA's.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

use a pac-audio #C2A-GM24 or #AOEM-kit to interface with your stock bose unit it gives you outputs and remote turn on signal and is completely plug and play

The bose system is much more involved in its own crossover design and uses a separate amplifier system. So there is no amplified signal coming out the head unit. You would think that tapping on to the speaker wires to the doors would do the trick, combined with a line output converter, right? Well not exactly because the bose amp is a high pass amp to the door speakers. So what to do ... you could just pull the sub and tap the subwoofer wires to attach the line output converter to, that works, but the bose system also limits the amount of low frequency that it sends to that tiny 6 1/2 woofer that they call a sub. To help limit distortion the bose amp also has a low frequency cut off at about 30 hz, which is good for a 6 1/2 but for a 10 that can handle it, it will sound muddy and boomy, not deep, rumbly and defined. It will sound like its missing something.

If it sounds like i have done this its because I have, I did it in my 05 ss and I bought my pac converter locally and cant remember the part number, so visit their site and see which one you need.