PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Southern (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/southern-118/)
-   -   PCM flash, and possible dyno tune in FL (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/southern-118/pcm-flash-possible-dyno-tune-fl-498226/)

jbancs 03-04-2012 05:00 PM

PCM flash, and possible dyno tune in FL

I just bought a truck that's supercharged and it seems like it isn't performing that well. It has the whipple supercharger complete with the extra injectors and whipple electronics. I'd like to remove that junk and replace the injectors with #42 injectors and get a tune. Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done? I live in Bradenton 35ish miles south of tampa.

Thanks ahead of time.

jrmchevyman 03-04-2012 08:08 PM

Masport Speed Shop in Boca Raton FL, EFI Alchemy in Green Cove Springs, FL.

I have herd nothing but good things from EFI Alchemy. Both of those shops are about the same distance from you according to google maps, about 3 hr 45mins to 4hrs..

There are probably some guys that live closer to you that have EFI live or HP tuners and don't own a shop though.

CC05 03-04-2012 08:13 PM

X2 on EFI Alchemy. I've heard a few bad things about them, which is just about everywhere, but the two trucks that I've been in/around that have tunes from them have ran great.

jbancs 03-05-2012 05:46 AM

Awesome. Thanks, Guys.

I'm pretty new at the whole engine modding/performance thing. (I've always been a stereo/suspension guy). If I can changing over to 42 pound injectors on my truck from the whipple setup, will I actually need to have my PCM flashed or do I just need to get some tuning done? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

BigKID 03-05-2012 11:17 AM

Check out Dyno in Tampa? - LS1TECH for some recommendations in the Tampa area.

If you are ditching all the Whipple electronics for larger injectors, you definitely need a full tune not just a flash with the new injector size.

jbancs 03-05-2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by BigKID (Post 4881576)
Check out Dyno in Tampa? - LS1TECH for some recommendations in the Tampa area.

If you are ditching all the Whipple electronics for larger injectors, you definitely need a full tune not just a flash with the new injector size.

In that case, can I just get a tune or do I need a flash and tune?

jrmchevyman 03-05-2012 05:24 PM

Just a full tune like he said.

BigKID 03-06-2012 11:36 AM

I think the terminology is the communication barrier here. Flash is the process of loading the tune onto the PCM. You could get a mail order tune with generic changes (ie, injector size) and flash it in the truck if you had the appropriate hardware. A full tune would be a tuner working on your truck real time either on a dyno or on the street to fully optimize the operation of your specific truck. This can also be accomplished with a mail order tuner by emailing tunes and scans back and forth but it is a drawn out process.

jrmchevyman 03-07-2012 12:39 AM

phump