PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Southern (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/southern-118/)
-   -   Help me cam swap (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/southern-118/help-me-cam-swap-425405/)

meatwad 09-22-2008 04:35 PM

Help me cam swap

I haven't decided when, but I am moving to North Carolina in 4 weeks so before then. It will depend on when I can get Charlie free to update my tune for the cam.

Parts I have:
  • LPE GT2-3
  • 7.4" pushrods
  • ls6 springs
  • cam swap gasket kit
  • new crank bolt

Tools I need to borrow:
  • spark plug attachement for compressor (from leak down kit)
  • spring compressor tool
  • 2 dowels for the lifters (if anyone has em laying around)
  • pulley puller
  • big ass screw driver etc to lock torque converter....

Post up if you might be interested in helping. FYI, I will provide beer as payment....

I will come to your place if you have the tools and would rather not cart 'em around and still bring beer.

00ChevyScott 09-22-2008 04:50 PM

Autozone or Oreilly rent out a tool for the pulley. It's actually the Chrystler harmonic balancer puller, but it works like a charm! (thanks to Zzebes for telling me about that)

Also, you should buy a longer crank bolt for installing the balancer back on, then take it out and install the correct length bolt. I didnt use one to put mine back on, and it wobbles now, so I will need to pull it back off and re do it

meatwad 09-22-2008 05:16 PM

Add that longer crank bolt to the list of things to borrow or buy... I plan on renting the puller if nobody has one.

95ImpSS 09-22-2008 06:05 PM

Dowels are cheap. When you get a puller, better make sure the bolts are high grade. Otherwise, they'll snap! :nod: Ask me how I know. ;)

Onyx 02 09-22-2008 07:10 PM

Nate - I got a big ass screwdriver!! LMK if you need a hand.

leochevy2001 09-23-2008 06:17 AM

i fyou don't already know, pick up some coolant and some motor oil.

meatwad 09-23-2008 09:08 AM

Check and check for the fluids. I know dowels are cheap but I am extremely lazy. Thanks for the advice on the puller.

The main hold up will be when I can get together with Charlie for a retune, he is a busy dude. He said he would help with a swap when the time came, but that was before this dumbass hurricane. Though with this cam I cuold probably run it with my current tune for a while without problem.

greyghost4x4 09-23-2008 11:00 AM

you can get the dowels at a lumber yard.... cheap ass little wood sticks for like .30 a piece... thats what i used... cant remember what size though

Colby 04 09-23-2008 11:58 AM

Spring tool - sold :(
Dowels - don't waste your 60 cents, they do not lock the lifters. You will be doing the russian roulette method with the false assurance that the dowels are going to save your ass. The JPR tool is designed as a semicircle for a reason - dowels do not do the same job. You don't have to take my word for it tho:)

FarmerBeau 09-23-2008 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4006118)
Autozone or Oreilly rent out a tool for the pulley. It's actually the Chrystler harmonic balancer puller, but it works like a charm! (thanks to Zzebes for telling me about that)

Also, you should buy a longer crank bolt for installing the balancer back on, then take it out and install the correct length bolt. I didnt use one to put mine back on, and it wobbles now, so I will need to pull it back off and re do it

Guess who told ZZebes about the chrystler puller. ;)

A stock bolt is perfectly ok. Use a propane torch to heat up your balancer and she slides right on. :D

Nate- Gimme a call if you need any help.