PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/silverado-ss-joe-gibbs-editions-ssr-166/)
-   -   Just bought a JG (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/silverado-ss-joe-gibbs-editions-ssr-166/just-bought-jg-481558/)

N20zuki 04-24-2011 01:28 PM

Just bought a JG

Well while I was home in FL last week I traded my T/A in on a 2005 Joe Gibbs ECSB #0396 and im trying to learn more about these trucks. I do know the basic on these but some things I do not understand. One large item is why the brakes are still drum in the rear? I thought rear disc became a standard on trucks, but apparently not.

Is there a website that I can go to or someone know what performance options these truck have? Only thing I have noticed so far is the 3.73 rear, ele fans and Corsa cat back.

Other then that I am very happy with the truck altho I do want to put a set of headers and CAI on it and get the truck re-tuned to remove the 98mph speed limiter and Torque management. After that I feel it may get a little bit better mileage and help out performance.

Here are a few pics...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c..._8294630_n.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c..._2014214_n.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c..._1647166_n.jpg

1bad2k 04-24-2011 05:14 PM

Good lookin truck man, congrats! Only question I have is how many white jg trucks did they make? I've never seen one in white.

jadaven 04-24-2011 06:07 PM

It should have a supercharger under the hood. IRC.

N20zuki 04-24-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad2k (Post 4688036)
Good lookin truck man, congrats! Only question I have is how many white jg trucks did they make? I've never seen one in white.

Same here, also would like to find out what production numbers on these trucks are as well. SCSB and ECSB

Originally Posted by jadaven (Post 4688080)
It should have a supercharger under the hood. IRC.

Negative, this is a 5.3 truck...

fastnblu 04-24-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad2k (Post 4688036)

+1, cause this is this 1st I've seen. Most are black. Did the chrome wheel moldings & bezels come on it? I'm thinkin those were all added post JG.

jadaven, blowers were optional IIRC. Maybe std. on a JG Hoe, but not on trucks. Maybe someone can confirm if they were indeed std. on the JG Hoe, just thought I read that when they were intro'd.

OP, discs were std. for awhile, then in '05 GM reverted back to drums. Regressed IMO. Enjoy your new ride.

marovetsm 04-25-2011 12:46 PM

The supercharger was an option an all Joe Gibbs packages I believe. The only 'standard' gibbs package was appearance only (spoiler, gauge overlay, dash plaque, seat embroidery, wheels, front fascia) But in 05+ the bumper cover became an option, and some came with plastic badges instead of metal ones. Ive seen Gibbs trucks with only wheels and dash plaques before. They started offering them with less options (05-on) because I dont think they were selling very well with a fully optioned RCSB with an MSRP of 40k+ in 2004. I dont know that for a fact just my opinion.

White is rare, Ive only seen 2. I like them!

N20zuki 04-25-2011 06:16 PM

I havent seen any in white myself... But I do enjoy the truck quite a bit, So far I have found a few little querks that I need to work out. One is the left front sensor for the airbag is bad (from DTC read) so I will need to replace that but otherwise the truck runs great and drives fantastic. Also tow's my race car quite well too, combined weight of trailer and car is 5000lbs and the truck doesnt even notice the trailer back there untill you try to stop lol. I need to get the electronic brake controller and hook that up as well.

jadaven 04-25-2011 06:37 PM

Wow, I didn't know any of that. I've only heard about the ones with the charger under the hood. Learn something new every day.

Congrats:cheers:

MeanJoe 04-26-2011 07:52 AM

Nice truck. Looks good in white. I always believed the Gibbs was only available in black or red.

Good luck finding much out about these trucks. I bought mine 3 months ago and Haven't been able to find much info on total production. I've heard 700 total (I'm #340) But that's just hear say, although I've never seen one with a serial number over 700....

That's weird, my truck also has a bad airbag sensor, I think it has something to do with the bumper cover, it looks like they moved the sensors when they mounted it...

Also have rear drums, was wondering whats up with the front brakes. I was told they're baer brakes, but they just look like stock calipers on bigger rotors. Anybody know anything about them? where to get pads?

Gadgetized 04-26-2011 09:06 AM

The Baer brakes was an option like the supercharger. My truck came with neither. I bought a supercharger because that's what they came with. I am more of a turbo guy, but wanted to keep it fairly original looking. The Baer brakes were the Eradispeed brakes. The rotors were bigger, you use your original calipers, and there are calipers brackets to make it work that come with the kit (I was debating this upgrade). My truck (05) has the rear drums too. It I do the brake upgrade, I would swap the rears to disc to make it match. I think the rear drums were a GM thing for the 1/2 ton trucks in 05 because the calipers were sticking in areas of the country like here due to the salt on the roads. I have heard that they made 800/year that they made them. I have never seen high numbers either as mine is #444.

TurboGibbs 04-26-2011 10:50 AM

The JGP came optioned just about any way i've seen. White, black and red were the original options but I have seen one blue one for sale. Some have the ugly hockey stick stripes down the side. Most in 04 were fully loaded with supercharger, suede seats, front facia etc. Sales were slow and in 05 they offered a sport package for $5500 with wheels, badges, suspension and brake package, gauges and Corsa exhaust. There is the billet alum oval badges and soft plasic molded badges.
My 05's front brakes are just larger rotors off of a HD or Denali if I remember correctly.
They came 5.3 auto with or without supercharger and 4.8 5 speed with or without supercharger.

N20zuki 04-26-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MeanJoe (Post 4689073)
Nice truck. Looks good in white. I always believed the Gibbs was only available in black or red.

Good luck finding much out about these trucks. I bought mine 3 months ago and Haven't been able to find much info on total production. I've heard 700 total (I'm #340) But that's just hear say, although I've never seen one with a serial number over 700....

That's weird, my truck also has a bad airbag sensor, I think it has something to do with the bumper cover, it looks like they moved the sensors when they mounted it...

Also have rear drums, was wondering whats up with the front brakes. I was told they're baer brakes, but they just look like stock calipers on bigger rotors. Anybody know anything about them? where to get pads?

Looking on youtube at videos people are making claims of 800 in 2005 and 1200 in 2004... I hope someone can find out this as it would be nice to know, Hell my T/A I had was a NHRA special edition and I have never heard of that, After reasearch I found there was 5xx of them and they broke it down to color, interior color and transmission and I found I had one of 41.

I would like to do a brake upgrade to mine but dont even know where to start, Hell it would be nice to even be able to get a set of Regency RST brakes just to look sportier...

jadaven 04-27-2011 04:19 PM

You can still get the RST brake kit from Baer. Eradispeed Plus 1 or 2 I think. The front are two peice and they have different caliper brackets to account for the extra size.

sprayed99 04-27-2011 05:32 PM

Actually white was a dealer optioned truck that was sent to gibbs after it was sold to the JG licensed dealer. Black and red are the only 2 colors that were delivered by the factory to JG performance. Also every thing on the trucks was optional. they didn't even have a set in stone appearance package.

I had a gibbs trucks that was very oddly optioned. It had all the appearence things. the cloth was emboried just like the leather, had all the badging but nothing on the performance side other than the corsa.

I called Gibbs performance back when they acutally had more than one guy handling it all and he said that I had one of the oddest optioned trucks out there. We had a few good jokes about it because I paid nearly nothing for the truck with less than 4K on it and practically new.

All in all I would have loved to own a white version of the JG package trucks. They are hard to find and are better looking than the RST.

sprayed99 04-27-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by N20zuki (Post 4689270)
Looking on youtube at videos people are making claims of 800 in 2005 and 1200 in 2004... I hope someone can find out this as it would be nice to know, Hell my T/A I had was a NHRA special edition and I have never heard of that, After reasearch I found there was 5xx of them and they broke it down to color, interior color and transmission and I found I had one of 41.

I would like to do a brake upgrade to mine but dont even know where to start, Hell it would be nice to even be able to get a set of Regency RST brakes just to look sportier...

I was told 1200 and some change by the JG folks, but you have to remeber that anyone could buy a stock truck from a JG licensed dealer and send it there to get things added to it.... So it is not a "production truck" and the only value that the JG package adds is what we the buyers will pay for it.

Three6GMC 04-27-2011 07:14 PM

Truck looks good def the first white JGP truck I have seen... whats z85 tho?

pewterliftedz 04-27-2011 08:28 PM

nice looking truck,
but if it were mine I would delete all of the stickers and stick ons from that truck except the JG badges (especially all those lil chrome "touches").
and have door handles, tailgate handle, and mirror caps painted white.

N20zuki 04-27-2011 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Three6GMC (Post 4690142)

Originally Posted by sprayed99 (Post 4690075)
Actually white was a dealer optioned truck that was sent to gibbs after it was sold to the JG licensed dealer. Black and red are the only 2 colors that were delivered by the factory to JG performance. Also every thing on the trucks was optional. they didn't even have a set in stone appearance package.

I had a gibbs trucks that was very oddly optioned. It had all the appearence things. the cloth was emboried just like the leather, had all the badging but nothing on the performance side other than the corsa.

I called Gibbs performance back when they acutally had more than one guy handling it all and he said that I had one of the oddest optioned trucks out there. We had a few good jokes about it because I paid nearly nothing for the truck with less than 4K on it and practically new.

All in all I would have loved to own a white version of the JG package trucks. They are hard to find and are better looking than the RST.

Sounds just like my truck, no supercharger, no big brakes etc... But I do have the leather and suede interior.

Originally Posted by Three6GMC (Post 4690142)

Im assuming its the RPO code for the suspension package... Where these trucks usually have LS or LT badge behind the rear door it also says Z85 Silverado.

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz (Post 4690199)
nice looking truck,
but if it were mine I would delete all of the stickers and stick ons from that truck except the JG badges (especially all those lil chrome "touches").
and have door handles, tailgate handle, and mirror caps painted white.

I plan to do those things here soon enough...

fastnblu 05-01-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by marovetsm (Post 4688555)
The supercharger was an option an all Joe Gibbs packages I believe. The only 'standard' gibbs package was appearance only (spoiler, gauge overlay, dash plaque, seat embroidery, wheels, front fascia) But in 05+ the bumper cover became an option, and some came with plastic badges instead of metal ones. Ive seen Gibbs trucks with only wheels and dash plaques before. They started offering them with less options (05-on) because I dont think they were selling very well with a fully optioned RCSB with an MSRP of 40k+ in 2004. I dont know that for a fact just my opinion.

White is rare, Ive only seen 2. ...

IMO, I'd want the metal badges not the plastic if I could. And the JG bumper covers makes these trucks standout, that's why when those covers show up, they command a premium.

Originally Posted by Gadgetized (Post 4689091)
The Baer brakes were an option like the supercharger. My truck came with neither. I bought a supercharger because that's what they came with. I am more of a turbo guy, but wanted to keep it fairly original looking. The Baer brakes were the Eradispeed brakes. The rotors were bigger, you use your original calipers, and there are calipers brackets to make it work that come with the kit (I was debating this upgrade). My truck (05) has the rear drums too. It I do the brake upgrade, I would swap the rears to disc to make it match. I think the rear drums were a GM thing for the 1/2 ton trucks in 05 because the calipers were sticking in areas of the country like here due to the salt on the roads. I have heard that they made 800/year that they made them. I have never seen high numbers either as mine is #444.

I saw an Intimidator Silvy the other day, don't see a lot of then either.

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs (Post 4689127)
The JGP came optioned just about any way i've seen. White, black and red were the original options but I have seen one blue one for sale. Some have the ugly hockey stick stripes down the side. Most in 04 were fully loaded with supercharger, suede seats, front facia etc. Sales were slow and in 05 they offered a sport package for $5500 with wheels, badges, suspension and brake package, gauges and Corsa exhaust. There is the billet alum oval badges and soft plasic molded badges.
My 05's front brakes are just larger rotors off of a HD or Denali if I remember correctly.
They came 5.3 auto with or without supercharger and 4.8 5 speed with or without supercharger.

Blue huh? If I was spending $40K for a blue one, it'd most likely be a AWD SSS in Arrival Blue. :nod:

Originally Posted by N20zuki (Post 4689270)
Looking on youtube at videos people are making claims of 800 in 2005 and 1200 in 2004... I hope someone can find out this as it would be nice to know, Hell my T/A I had was a NHRA special edition and I have never heard of that, After reasearch I found there was 5xx of them and they broke it down to color, interior color and transmission and I found I had one of 41. ...

A rare Bird. :D

Originally Posted by sprayed99 (Post 4690075)

I called Gibbs performance back when they acutally had more than one guy handling it all and he said that I had one of the oddest optioned trucks out there.

I was told 1200 and some change by the JG folks, but you have to remember that anyone could buy a stock truck from a JG licensed dealer and send it there to get things added to it.... So it is not a "production truck" and the only value that the JG package adds is what we the buyers will pay for it.

Interesting. So say ~2000 trucks over 2 yrs.? Is that production just the trucks or JG Hoes too?

Three6GMC, Z85 is the handling & susp. pkg. RPO code. Altho I've a stock Silvy, I wanted that susp. pkg. even tho I upgraded it to my current susp. :D

Agree w/. pewterliftedz just keep JG badges & ditch all those lil chrome "touches" & have all handles & mirror caps painted white. :)

BadAssChevy327 05-01-2011 10:21 PM

please lose the wheel well chrome and chrome stick on door handles and the z85 stickers lol. we have a white JG around town. some young girl drives it i thought it was fake till i looked it had the bumpers/wheels/dash piece. nice looking truck

fastnblu 05-02-2011 02:53 PM

B.A.C.327, he already said he was gonna lose the "extra chrome touches". :D

N20zuki 05-03-2011 08:22 PM

Well I went ahead and removed one of the chrome wheel arches and im going to put it back on for right now. The paint has surface scratches under the wheel chrome so I need to reasearch on what will work well to remove the dirt and scratches from the clearcoat. Also need to buy new door handles in white but have removed the Z85 stickers tho...

BadAssChevy327 05-04-2011 01:50 AM

that sucks the chrome did that. try using some compound by hand. or get with adams polish on here. hes a sponsor and has some very nice items for detailing and such

ocelot729 09-22-2011 07:56 PM

Sweet Truck dude, White is the rarest of the three colors, also I was under the thought that the Baer Brake upgrade was the Aluma-Sports, new calipers, lines, rotors, and pads?

In worst case about the scratches left by the chrome, you could powdercoat them white?