Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Joe Gibbs cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, it should turn out pretty good. I think it needs a subtle (1 or 2") cowl induction or ram air hood, and some darker lights. I mean I gotta paint the hood anyway right? This one is for highway cruising, my old truck beside it has the front diff, lol, and a 496/Allison.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Nice!!! Yes the dust was throwing me off.

8.1/allison trucks are a real beast. Hard to find too.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks, its on 01 extended cab long bed Sierra. Pretty serious truck for towing, lol
Old 10-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Teching In

what type of shocks does it have?
They came with ground force suspension packages.
I think all the 04 Tahoe’s had the leather and suede seats and third row too.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:53 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Cash_Mayday
Thanks, its on 01 extended cab long bed Sierra. Pretty serious truck for towing, lol
Yeah we did a serious road trip in my buddies 03 GMC with an 8.1. Out ran some diesels on the highway while towing too!
​​​​​​​
If you get a chance, I would like to see how the mesh inserts are attached to the Gibbs bumper on the back side
Old 10-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2004gibbstruck
what type of shocks does it have?
They came with ground force suspension packages.
I think all the 04 Tahoe’s had the leather and suede seats and third row too.
Not sure on the shocks yet, I haven't been under it much yet. I can see that the rear coil springs are blue. I assume they use torsion bar keys to lower the front, or spindles? On the seats, yea, but they were apparently stolen. I don't see any provisions for a third row seat, but I'm not sure what to look for. (first Tahoe, I once had an '84 Blazer)

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yeah we did a serious road trip in my buddies 03 GMC with an 8.1. Out ran some diesels on the highway while towing too!
​​​​​​​
If you get a chance, I would like to see how the mesh inserts are attached to the Gibbs bumper on the back side
Thanks, yea I met a dude in the parking lot at Copart in Atlanta with an f-250 diesel picking up few months ago. He was picking up a small SUV, I was picking up a '12 Malibu. We both had about 16' trailers. We got loaded at about the same time, and coming back up 85 North he kept wanting to play. The old 8100 Sierra would pull a half a truck length on him to 100, lol

Anyway, the top of that lower grill is bolted to the bottom of the original Tahoe bumper. Then the bottom of the lower grill, there are two support bars or braces that run from the bottom of it back to the trucks cross-member. It basically attaches to the truck, and not the bumper cover at all. I'll get some pic's this weekend.

On a side note, any audio guys in here? I've got decisions to make on this Tahoe. It looks like Rockford Fosgate made special amp's for these things. I don't know if I need to get the Bose stuff back in it or just do something else.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Cash_Mayday
Not sure on the shocks yet, I haven't been under it much yet. I can see that the rear coil springs are blue. I assume they use torsion bar keys to lower the front, or spindles? On the seats, yea, but they were apparently stolen. I don't see any provisions for a third row seat, but I'm not sure what to look for. (first Tahoe, I once had an '84 Blazer)

Thanks, yea I met a dude in the parking lot at Copart in Atlanta with an f-250 diesel picking up few months ago. He was picking up a small SUV, I was picking up a '12 Malibu. We both had about 16' trailers. We got loaded at about the same time, and coming back up 85 North he kept wanting to play. The old 8100 Sierra would pull a half a truck length on him to 100, lol

Anyway, the top of that lower grill is bolted to the bottom of the original Tahoe bumper. Then the bottom of the lower grill, there are two support bars or braces that run from the bottom of it back to the trucks cross-member. It basically attaches to the truck, and not the bumper cover at all. I'll get some pic's this weekend.

On a side note, any audio guys in here? I've got decisions to make on this Tahoe. It looks like Rockford Fosgate made special amp's for these things. I don't know if I need to get the Bose stuff back in it or just do something else.
We raced a few Dodges and a Fords. Even a semi Wanted some action. My buddy tuned his and has a flex fuel conversion on it.

Never knew the grill was bolted to the bumper. I was curious about the Grill inserts in the bumper though. That, I have never seen a picture of. I know its a cover that slips over the metal bumper. I still have an N.O.S. cover in my possession but we were never able to locate the inserts.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Teching In

The upper grill insert is actually fastened to the plastic grill, and the whole grill itself clips in normally. The lower insert is the one I was talking about, the one under the bumper. It's not directly fastened to the bumper cover, it attaches to the truck itself, kinda hovering behind the bumper cover. At the top of the lower insert, it has tabs that bolt to the bottom lip of the factory steel bumper, hanging from it. Then at the bottom of the insert, it has tabs for support bars that run back to the trucks cross member. It's kind of hard to explain, I'll get a couple of pictures this weekend.

It would be pretty easy to make that lower insert out of some expanded metal or something.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Thank you!!!
I figured I could Make something similar. I just wanted to see how they did it.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Here's some not so great pic's that I promised... Didn't really work on it much this weekend, never had it jacked up, busy playing with the grandbaby. Anyway, you can kinda see what I described above. The top is bolted to the bumper, and the bottom has support bars that bolt to the crossmember. I can get better pics when I jack it up if you want...

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs cluster question