Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Joe Gibbs cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Gibbs cluster question

It's been a long time since I've been on here, but I picked up an 04 Joe Gibbs Tahoe a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if anyone else had one? The question I have about the cluster is that there is no shift indicator display. Is that normal? Or is it just an overlay that someone forgot to cut out? If its an over lay, is it likely just vinyl or something else. I'm thinking about pulling it out to inspect it a little closer, It doesn't really bother me, but it kinda does, lol. I'll see if I can post a picture, but it's just all solid silver where the display should be.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

In this article they show an indicator. Joe Gibbs 2005 Chevy Tahoe - Gen III Tuner Truck - Sport Truck Magazine
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I wonder if that's a replacement cluster out of a truck with a manual transmission??? That would explain the lack of an indicator.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

At 2:02 of this video is a view of a cluster from a manual truck.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I hadn't thought that it might be from a manual. I really question whether or not its a real Gibbs truck anyway, but I picked it up pretty cheap and I like it. If it's somebody's clone, they spent a good bit on it. It's got the right front bumper, the big brakes, it's been lowered and has the cluster, so it looks the part anyway. I may still pull it and investigate a little.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash_Mayday
Thanks, I hadn't thought that it might be from a manual. I really question whether or not its a real Gibbs truck anyway, but I picked it up pretty cheap and I like it. If it's somebody's clone, they spent a good bit on it. It's got the right front bumper, the big brakes, it's been lowered and has the cluster, so it looks the part anyway. I may still pull it and investigate a little.
any pics?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Does it have the other gibbs exterior ques? How about the interior?
Along with the bumper, The front grille and the rockers were unique to the Gibbs package. I believe the wheel flares are standard 4x4 flares and the rear bumper is a denali bumper.

If it was ordered it could have the RPO code PCX in the glove box.

This one of the nicer ones I have seen for sale.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Teching In

It has the grille's and rocker covers, and the correct rear bumper and flares. I assume it's the correct grills, they are basically expanded metal from a bbq grill, lol, but they fit and the brackets don't look hand made. You can see where the ovals were where the badges were removed from the doors and tailgate. The interior color (dash, door panels etc.) is the same as the video above. It does not have RPO PCX. The dash plaque was missing, and it has the wrong wheels. The story from the dude I bought it from was that he bought it with the seats, motor/trans, badges etc. stolen out of it. He had a stock 5.3/4l60 and some stock regular seats put back in it and was driving it. With all of the stuff that is on it, it's likely that it was a real Gibbs Tahoe, but I'll probably never know the whole story. VIN check doesn't say anything special, clear NC title, no theft recovery or anything, looks like its been in NC all it's life. I bought it just above Charlotte. It did show that it was listed on ebay at one point. Showing 82k miles. He said the motor he had put in it was from a burb with 125k. It runs pretty good and I liked it so I jumped in, lol.

I'll post a few pics later. It needs some work, clear peeling on the roof and hood bad, stereo is theft locked, factory amp is blowing fuses, couple windows don't work, and some other minor stuff. I plan on fixing it up pretty decent and driving it a while.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Could be a legit Vehicle then. the Gibbs specific grille and rockers are real hard to come by unless someone is parting one out.

Maybe they stole it to get the supercharged engine.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Maybe, it seems like it could be legit. With a few things I've already learned on here, the cost of those brake rotors and that Corsa catback and bumper cover, seems like it would be costly to build a clone. Oh it's got the Denali d post vent cover things too. I wonder if there are any VIN records from JGP anywhere to be found?

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs cluster question