PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   Snugtop tonneau? ... also Gaylord, Undercover come in (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/snugtop-tonneau-also-gaylord-undercover-come-445228/)

fastnblu 07-28-2009 01:44 PM

Snugtop tonneau? ... also Gaylord, Undercover come in

Here's the deal. I've wanted a Sport Truck my whole life. Usually I cater to performance 1st. Looks later.

Well, I've always wanted a hard tonneau. Snugtop SL is on my list. I considered a Gaylord; & even Undercover.

The first 2 are top quality, & the finish is top notch. Downsides:$$$, weight.

Undercover is claimed to be lite, it costs less (at least $300 minimum). The biggest downside: doesn't take paint. They intro.'d a new SMOOTH one, that's supposed to be more paint friendly, but I was told by a truck accessories place it has to do w/. the composition, & even that isn't supposed to take paint well as manf. claims.

I want baby butt smooth surface, no peel problems, & as close to color match as possible.

So my real question: Has anyone weighed their Snugtop? Snugtop SL is the model I plan to get & it's for my 04 Silvy RCSB.

Originally, I was hearing ~100#. Now, I'm reading more like 150-200# from some website guy that installed trk. accessories for years. So unless it's changed, that's a lot.:eek2:

I'm slowin down by addin wtg. & 1 of my eventual mods will add even more.

budhayes3 07-28-2009 01:52 PM

Off topic, but I knew you'd be checking back here...did you get my PM, or is your PM box still at 100 :jest:

fastnblu 07-28-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by budhayes3 (Post 4255014)
Off topic, but I knew you'd be checking back here...did you get my PM, or is your PM box still at 100 :jest:

Checking back where?:huh:
Ya, I got PM, & believe it or not, I cleared out 69 PMs!!!:eek2:
I hate typing & that's why I called this past weekend. It's so much faster.:)

I wanted to talk w/. ya about another planned mod.:secret2:

fastnblu 07-28-2009 02:11 PM

On side note. Your Pt's slowest truck; I'm the multiquote maniac. That's new. I wonder who I can thank? Trever1t? I like it & it's true.

Anyway, back to thread at hand.

I know usabodyguard has a Snugtop & I'd grab it in a heartbeat if I lived near him. I just wanna know it's weight. His or anyone's Snugtop hard lid.

Rays B4U 07-28-2009 02:44 PM

I don't have any info about either of those covers, but I have been looking at the Gemtop GT Classic cover. On the website it says they weigh under 100#.

Wizard over on SSS.com has one and I have seen it in person and it is really nice. He wanted the "baby butt smooth surface" too and these are painted to your spec's at the factory. This will be the one I buy when I scrape together the dollars to get one.

Here is a pic of Wizard's SS.

Just another option.

charcoal03silvy 07-28-2009 02:57 PM

That's a damn nice bed cover!

budhayes3 07-28-2009 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by fastnblu (Post 4255019)
Checking back where?:huh:

Checking back in this thread duh :cheers:

KevinF56 07-28-2009 03:28 PM

i had a Gaylord's on my old truck. it took 2 people to take it off. if i had to guess it weighed at least 100lbs, probably more like 120 or so.

fastnblu 07-28-2009 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rays B4U (Post 4255038)
I don't have any info about either of those covers, but I have been looking at the Gemtop GT Classic cover. On the website it says they weigh under 100#.

Just another option.

I've checked on covers in the past from many manf., including the 1 you mentioned. I looked at link from you. If I read it right, manf. is out of biz.

I really wish the Undercover would take paint well, since it's lite. The Gaylord's, from what I keep hearing again & again, & AGAIN, are constantly coming in damaged. Many have stopped carrying Gaylord's for that reason, it's a headache.

Snugtop seems my best option.
Even then, I have to take a day off work to get 1; the place I found isn't local, but has a price that blows others selling the same lid out of the water.

If I have extra weight, it'll help plant the tires better. ;)
I'd prefer less weight to help handling. :( But, I have a cure to battle the extra wtg. a hard lid adds.:secret2:

Rays B4U 07-28-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by fastnblu (Post 4255416)
I've checked on covers in the past from many manf., including the 1 you mentioned. I looked at link from you. If I read it right, manf. is out of biz.

I really wish the Undercover would take paint well, since it's lite. The Gaylord's, from what I keep hearing again & again, & AGAIN, are constantly coming in damaged. Many have stopped carrying Gaylord's for that reason, it's a headache.

Snugtop seems my best option.
Even then, I have to take a day off work to get 1; the place I found isn't local, but has a price that blows others selling the same lid out of the water.

If I have extra weight, it'll help plant the tires better. ;)
I'd prefer less weight to help handling. :( But, I have a cure to battle the extra wtg. a hard lid adds.:secret2:

I think they were bought out, their website is still good.