Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad/Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offroad/Paint

Okay, so my brand-new truck is at about 1200 miles and I've already got some pretty decent scratches in the paint from running the trails through the desert out here. Other than staying on the road in my awesome truck I bought specifically to offroad in comfort with, what's he best thing I can do to the truck to help prevent finish damage in the future? I'd prefer to clean it after day-long expeditions, not touch up the paint on a monthly basis.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use some of that clear wrap and apply it to the lower body only. I dont know the name of it but I think 3M makes some good stuff.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't think you have a low cost option.

A few extra coats of clear might help but it won't solve your problem and probably not be worth it.

Where are you getting the scratches? Fendres, doors, top, bottom?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the 3m clear bra stuff, works pretty well
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Man Motor club

I'm getting the scratches below window level from the outer corners of the headlights back, depending on how the trail is oriented between the thorn bushes and brush. I tried to avoid the branches as much as possible but it's just not possible in some of the spots where the trail runs between large thorn bushes. I managed to slip through with only one significant scratch on the driver's side, but the passenger side has a few. I'm thinking about how best to fix the scratches but it's what to do next that is the real question.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the scratches go, are they on the surface or all the way through the clear coat and/or paint? If they are just on the surface you can hit it with some rubbing or polishing compound and then wax it. As far as what to do next, I have no idea on that one but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Man Motor club

A couple are on the surface, but I've also got a couple of pretty deep ones that don't look like they'll buff out. What is the best do-it-yourself paint touchup method/kit? I am an admitted novice in that regard, and don't want to mess up on my brand-new truck.