PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   I'm getting my ass kicked, stupid GM.... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/im-getting-my-ass-kicked-stupid-gm-502319/)

AKlowriderZ71 05-24-2012 03:31 PM

I'm getting my ass kicked, stupid GM....

I removed the boring flat tailgate cap from my Duramax, and bought a new cap from the dealer. Also bought the nut inserts and the bolts at the same time. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sure somebody here has had the same problem.

When I put the insert into the tailgate, the insert rounds out(the hex) before I even get a 1/4 turn on the bolt. So now the entire insert just spins in the tailgate, the insert didn't expand at all so it still falls out of the gate, and the bolt isn't even tight!

If there was a way to get a wrench inside the tailgate, I could hold the nut insert in place. But I don't see a way to do that either. Who's done this before, and what did you end up doing?

Thanks!

89LS1FOXER 05-24-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 4927361)
I removed the boring flat tailgate cap from my Duramax, and bought a new cap from the dealer. Also bought the nut inserts and the bolts at the same time. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sure somebody here has had the same problem.

When I put the insert into the tailgate, the insert rounds out(the hex) before I even get a 1/4 turn on the bolt. So now the entire insert just spins in the tailgate, the insert didn't expand at all so it still falls out of the gate, and the bolt isn't even tight!

If there was a way to get a wrench inside the tailgate, I could hold the nut insert in place. But I don't see a way to do that either. Who's done this before, and what did you end up doing?

Thanks!

Those nut inserts have to be "crushed" in to the tail gate by a special crimping type tool or they will fall out/spin... :nod:

rj2 05-24-2012 03:52 PM

Can u tack it in there? The nut I mean

AKlowriderZ71 05-24-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 89LS1FOXER (Post 4927362)
Those nut inserts have to be "crushed" in to the tail gate by a special crimping type tool or they will fall out/spin... :nod:

Ah, I wondered if they had a tool like that at the dealer. So I spoke to their body shop manager, and apparently he's a moron. :eyes:

He suggested that I try to hold the insert with vise grips from the outside, and then tighten it. Ya, right.

Well, now I'm on the search for the tool. You have any pics of the tool, or part number, I'd really appreciate it. :angel:

AKlowriderZ71 05-24-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rj2 (Post 4927370)
Can u tack it in there? The nut I mean

Not without messing up the paint. Also, it's a much softer metal, so I don't know if it would work or not.

nonnieselman 05-24-2012 04:19 PM

JB Weld has done miracles.......

barley 05-24-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman (Post 4927378)
JB Weld has done miracles.......

Yeah that stuff is pretty bad ass. I used some to plug a hole in my dads jeeps exhaust manifold that was all rusted and cracked. It lasted 3 more deer seasons before we put a stainless header on it

TIM Z 05-24-2012 08:23 PM

Your not the only sad sack here Roger LOL

My bud wanted to do the same thing on his, i ordered him the kit with inserts, couldnt get them to expand either. Wish i know there was a tool for this also.

skinny chicken 05-24-2012 09:07 PM

I have the tool your looking for, in fact I have three. To bad your in AK

kbracing96 05-24-2012 09:43 PM

It's like a pop rivet puller, you screw the nutsert on the treads, put it in the hole and squeeze and it crimps it in there. Then you unscrew the tool out of the nutsert and walaa!

http://www.amazon.com/Nutsert-Settin...sim_sbs_auto_4