PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   how long does wax last for you (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/how-long-does-wax-last-you-177298/)

goshawk23 05-31-2004 08:56 AM

how long does wax last for you

I have been using meguires cleaner wax and mothers cleaner wax. i'll use each on one side of the truck to see which one last longer. so far, i have found that neither one last more than maybe two weeks. :bang: I am going by the beed effect and nothing else!

meguires is way easier to take off than mothers but both shine about the same. as good as it can be on a white truck anyway.

one03sierra 05-31-2004 11:39 AM

i finally broke down and bought the zaino bros wax and it has lasted more than two weeks and is bad ass. :devil: :drive:

goshawk23 05-31-2004 11:44 AM

i was told not to waste my time with zaino because of having a white truck. otherwise i would use it. i just wish my wax would last longer than two or three weeks before needing it again. maybe i need to polish it instead. dunno!

one03sierra 05-31-2004 11:47 AM

ha ha ha ha . well no matter what color it is it still needs protection.to me thats like saying you got silver so its going to fade no matter what you do to it. its your baby--well at least one of them-- :jest: and it needs to be taken care of no matter what color it is.

goshawk23 05-31-2004 11:51 AM

yea your right. i do wax it about once a month. i could at least try the zaino and see how it looks and how long it last. never know.

FILE 05-31-2004 01:30 PM

I also wax mine about once a month.

LS1csherm 06-01-2004 02:01 PM

Dont wax anything I own
Polish (3m & Griots Garage) and detailing spray.
If I did - I would use Meguir's (sic)- nice products.

bootleg 06-01-2004 06:07 PM

I use that Meguiar's NXT junk. Works pretty good.

hyper 06-01-2004 07:22 PM

just get the tripple-wax thing when u go through the carwash, unless u wash it urself

Last Call 06-01-2004 08:03 PM

my wax last at least a month or 2. its some wierd shit though. It is from Mexico and very hard to get around here, in san Fran. The name is La Cera Amarilla. I know the name sound funny, but I have used tons of waxes ( mothers, zymol, 3m, meguiars, etc), and nothing works this good. All the body shops and detailing shops have it my area. It has a whole bunch of carnuba and teflon and is a liquid. You can apply it in direct sunlight and will come off very easy. I can wax my ecsb at least 4 or 5 times with one bottle. after it is very smooth. It takes about an hour and a half to wax my whole truck.

PFDarkside 06-01-2004 09:00 PM

I use Meguiar's #26 High-Tech Yellow wax. It looks awesome, but I could care less about durability because I do it once a month. Now, if I cared about durability, I'd go with a sealant (Meguiars #20, NXT, Zaino, Poorboys, Wolfgang, etc...)

LS1csherm 06-02-2004 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by hyper
just get the tripple-wax thing when u go through the carwash,

:huh: :eyes:

F8L Z71 06-02-2004 09:12 AM

if your wax is not lasting more than a month you are either using a crappy wax/polish or you are using a soap that eats right through it. IE dishwashing soap etc.

I use Zaino on my cars. Prior to that I used Meguires. I just like the ease of application and removale with the Zaino product and since it's not a wax you dont get that waxy buildup.

I can put a couple coats of Zaino on and even if I dont polish for 6mo I still get decent beading.

2001 HD 06-02-2004 09:37 AM

6 months with Mequires

A lot of the polish/wax durability is in the preparation. I use the Mequires carwash before and in between wax jobs. It has a little wax in it to rejuvinate the wax job. I wax it using the mequires show car wax and polish. (tan bottle). It's a 2-step process. It takes all day and a six-pack, but it beads really good for about 6 months. The polish provides the shine and the wax protects the polish and helps it last. I usually hand-wash the truck every week or two. Followed by 100% cotton towell drying.

:cheers:

LS1csherm 06-02-2004 10:58 AM

I found the best prep - is a good name brand car wash - not dishwashing liquid - I also use a clay bar - often
Clay bar and detail spray - then re-spray again with detail spray
I clay bar'd my bed cover - got all the factory overspray off it - nice n smooth.
I also keep my bar in a ziplock between uses.
my .02

MacADaYear 06-02-2004 11:26 AM

If you use detergent its gonna get all the wax right off. I only use detergent when I wash the truck right before waxing it :D

niwtsol 06-02-2004 11:34 AM

ewww detergent, i will never wash my car with that. Quick question. i waxed my tahoe and then every two weeks i quick detail then quick wax.(plan to real wax once monthly) well when it rains or water gets on it i get beading but jesus once the water dries i get horrible water spots and horrible dirt especially on my doors. it pisses me off because my parents dont do crap on their cars and then after a rain they brag on how clean theirs looks compared to mine all dirty... who has a suggestion?(i use all megiuars gold class, and all done by hand)

MacADaYear 06-02-2004 12:41 PM

Use detergent :D

lol im joking... hmm sounds weird.. what color are your parents cars? Might be more noticable agianst your black. But check out Zano. Its really sweet stuff and pretty much everyone I have talked to about it says its top notch stuff. Not cheap, but then what good stuff is :D

Snafudilligad 06-02-2004 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
Use detergent :D

lol im joking... hmm sounds weird.. what color are your parents cars? Might be more noticable agianst your black. But check out Zano. Its really sweet stuff and pretty much everyone I have talked to about it says its top notch stuff. Not cheap, but then what good stuff is :D

Spot on, brother. Zaino rocks. Zaino waxes and detail spray - poorboys for interior and tire dressing. I Zaionoed my black chrysler last weekend and the paint, i kid you not, looks better than it did when I brought it home. Smooth as glass. Plus, there spray detail has excellent anti-static properties and will repel dust and keep it from sticking to the paint.

goshawk23 06-04-2004 03:58 PM

nope, i never use any dishwashing liquid. normally i use blue corral car wash or meguires car wash. i am gonna try polishing it then waxing it with a sealer. then again, my problems could be the amount of rain we get then the amount of sunlight. if you live in houston or know about houstons weather then it is the same here.

niwtsol 06-04-2004 04:32 PM

ya definatly hate parkin it in the sun when i go to work, think i might get a damn car cover and solve all my problems

Snafudilligad 06-04-2004 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by niwtsol
ya definatly hate parkin it in the sun when i go to work, think i might get a damn car cover and solve all my problems

Dont chince on it if you do get one. You have to let the paint breathe, not trap moisture, secure it good or on windy days it will effectively dry buff your paint.....I am NOT a fan of car covers. They can absolutley kill paint jobs. California car covers, maybe.....but not any local shop, you wont find one thats is worth using. ESPECIALLY on that black truck. Wind will cause it to move and all those dirt particles will stick to the cover and move with it causing scratching. Kind of like taking a dry rag and wiping down your dirty truck would do, CC will take a licking and you'll be in for twice the wax job to recover.

Just keep it clean.