PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   How to get house paint off my 20's? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/how-get-house-paint-off-my-20s-411833/)

fastrt 02-16-2008 02:29 PM

How to get house paint off my 20's?

Thats right, frickin house paint! I was driving MMOB and in the lane to the right of me was a ford POS construction truck. I looked over and seen a box about to fall off the back of a pile of crap in the back of the truck. I thought it would just fall into the lane next to me, but NOOO it had substance to it. It spun into my lane and I had to strattle it. Boom!, and It went out the side by the rear tire. I thought the box looked like a case of 4 paint cans but I did not know for sure. I got to my destination and looked at the damage. I found paint all over my right rear tire and my new 20" tahoe wheels that I had just put on 2 weeks ago. I got the paint off my bed and tire but it is a little stubborn on the wheel. Do you guys have any sugestions? Damn construction companys and there stupid drivers.
thanks

Mangled03gmc 02-16-2008 02:35 PM

Are they chrome rims??? If it is reg latex house paint water soap and a rag will take it off, try to use a good chrome cleaner on them...

John

fastrt 02-16-2008 03:48 PM

no they are aluminum with a clear coat. I used a pressure washer but it did not take it off that well. I can not get around to cleaning till tomorrow. its raining here. I will try soap and hot water tomorrow.

kbracing96 02-16-2008 03:57 PM

Get some "Goof Off" It will take dried latex paint off and shouldn't hurt your wheels. You can get it at Walmart, Lowes, HD, Ect.

BlackGMC 02-16-2008 04:18 PM

Damn man that sucks!! I hope you can get it off, how bad is it? Since they are clear coated you could treat it just like you would cleanin paint so you could try some wax or polishing compound, maybe even some clay bar....

fastrt 02-16-2008 06:49 PM

I will take it to work and pull it off and put it on a bench and use my plastic scraper and hot soapy water. I do not want to use chemicals. thanks for the tips

Mangled03gmc 02-16-2008 07:06 PM

Yes I would stay away from chemicals, they might hurt the clear thats on the wheels..

John

jkwalkercchs 02-16-2008 07:15 PM

use buffing compound no plastic scrapers itll scratch the clear

if there clear coated then the buffing compound will take car off it and any fine scratches u have on them

fatdog41 02-17-2008 07:13 AM

You could try a clay bar and some detail spray. It will take off some other amazing crap.

fastrt 02-17-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by fatdog41 (Post 3851411)
You could try a clay bar and some detail spray. It will take off some other amazing crap.

yeah I got a clay bar kit this weekend and I will try it first.