PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   eBay LED Tail Lights (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/ebay-led-tail-lights-501110/)

Ferocity02 05-13-2012 11:19 AM

So I ended up buying two pairs. The first pair is the same as the ones I posted, but from a different seller. But, somehow the ones I bought aren't DOT approved according to the seller. I guess they are the same lights made by different companies.

I then bought a pair of Spyder LED lights which the seller indicated that they are DOT approved. They say SAE... on them, but not DOT. I emailed Spyder to see if they are legal in CA. Both pairs seem to be of decent quality, Spyder more so than the other ones. I will post pics once I get things sorted.

1FastBrick 05-26-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ferocity02 (Post 4920894)
So I ended up buying two pairs. The first pair is the same as the ones I posted, but from a different seller. But, somehow the ones I bought aren't DOT approved according to the seller. I guess they are the same lights made by different companies.

I then bought a pair of Spyder LED lights which the seller indicated that they are DOT approved. They say SAE... on them, but not DOT. I emailed Spyder to see if they are legal in CA. Both pairs seem to be of decent quality, Spyder more so than the other ones. I will post pics once I get things sorted.

Any update on this???

Some one hit my truck recently and I have been considering getting LED's but I have noticed at least 3 different variations of the same light. The main difference I see is were the White reverse light is.

I saw X3 had SAE/DOT approved set.

Vortec350ss 06-11-2012 05:37 PM

I'm curious how this turned out too. I'd love to get some, but they look a little too red in person for my taste

Ferocity02 06-11-2012 06:45 PM

I called the dealer that I got the Spyder LED lights from to get test information from them to prove they are DOT/SAE legal. That was about 6 weeks ago and nothing. I'm not surprised. I ended up sending them back because they said that the lights had "DOT" stamped on them and they didn't. Still waiting for a refund...

The other set, these, I still have and am selling. I like them a lot but I went ahead and bought a set of stock '05 lights. I'm selling the LED lights here: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...s-sale-502953/

After talking with the local CHP, they basically said that tinted lights are illegal even if they are stamped with DOT/SAE. It all comes down to the officer though. I do believe that the LED lights I'm selling are fine. They are perfectly red in color, albeit darker than most OEM lights. I live in an area where the police and CHP are overfunded and underworked, so they are ticketing people left and right for petty mods. Since I am turbo'ing my truck soon, I don't want to give the local fuzz anymore reasons to pull me over. In an area like LA or San Diego, you can get away with a LOT more.

Long story short, I ended up with some OEM tail lights, and I'm selling my LED lights.

Vortec350ss 06-11-2012 09:45 PM

I'm interested in those LEd tails. They're much darker than I would have thought and look awesome. Did they come that dark or did you paint them?
PM sent

Ferocity02 06-11-2012 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss (Post 4937335)
I'm interested in those LEd tails. They're much darker than I would have thought and look awesome. Did they come that dark or did you paint them?
PM sent

That's how they came, they are tinted perfectly IMO, dark but still red. Not black like a lot of tinted tail lights out there.

1FastBrick 06-11-2012 11:58 PM

I wonder if they were not smoked if they would be legal???? like these
GMC Sierra 1500/2500/3500 04 05 06 LED Tail Lights - Red Clear | eBay

seller claims there SAE DOT approved

1FastBrick 06-12-2012 12:04 AM

here is a different variation also claiming SAE DOT approved

03-06 SILVERADO/SIERRA / 05-07 HYBRID RED CLEAR PHILIPS-LED PERFORM TAIL LIGHTS | eBay

Ferocity02 06-12-2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 4937428)
I wonder if they were not smoked if they would be legal???? like these
GMC Sierra 1500/2500/3500 04 05 06 LED Tail Lights - Red Clear | eBay

seller claims there SAE DOT approved

I'm sure those would be fine.

1FastBrick 06-12-2012 01:57 AM

My understanding is that Tinting the lights reduces visibility of any front or rear lamp. The reduced visibility is what makes tinted ones illegal at least here in CA. I know adding HID's to Non factory equipped vehicles is illegal here as well.