Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99+ silverado seats in 73-87 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99+ silverado seats in 73-87 silverado

any one done this? i dont dig the bench seat feel, but kinda like my 87. i sold my 01 silverado that i like alot, but ... anyway i like the feel of those seats! i took the seat out of my dads 04 truck and looked at the bottom of the seat, and did some explorering.
i found that the seat almost looks "universal" with the exception of the recline mechinism. that looks like its gona cause problems. its integraded with the lower 1/2 of the seat track. by that im mean the back frame doesnt just connect to the bottom frame, it extends further down, then the recline mechinism connects to that extension...worst come to worst i will conjure up something slick.. maybe turning the mechinism sideways to reduce the height of the seat. im 6'6" so idont have ton of room like the shorter guys have. .. i dont really know at this moment... im gona score a set from my fav wrecking yard hopefully this comming weekend. im really really confident i will get'er done.

anyway.. in a worst case senerio, i just cant do it (due to seat height requirements that im needing) i will have to sell the seats.
the seats i have my mind set are the the 99-05 seats that are the nicer/soft cloth that has the fold down middle seat. anyone that would be interested in picking them up from me at a denominal fee, PM me and just let me know your interested. local-ish pickup only.

back to the matter at hand, if anyone has any 1st hand experience with this getup, or pictures of, post up, i'd like to take a look at it.
thanks,
clint
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been done, as I've seen pics, but I can't remember if it was here, or a magazine or what. I'm sure it will require a little ingenuity, but shouldn't bee too hard. Remember that the new seats will have the seat belts in them, so you can delete the originals.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Launching!

falure! the wrecking yard i went to had tons of suburban style seat (with armrests in the seat) and i dont want those... they only had 2 truck seats, but they wernt in good enough shape for me. i want the truck style with the jump seat.... drats... guess i will have to wait another week to see if they get any more in.
clint
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 87 silverado i went out and bought seats like the ones u are talking about and put them in mine. well once i got everthing in and started looking and sitting in them they sit way to high up in my truck so i took them out got the bench seat redone with custom uphostery so now those seats are just sitting in my garage
Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too have seen pics of it done, if you do figure it out post up the way you did it
Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any pics of the brackets? Did they line up, or did they need cutting/resizing?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

no pics on the brackets sorry man just showing that it was possible
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Launching!

man, its been a while since i posted up. i did the drivers side seat and it turned out OK. i finished up the weleding and drove it around for a week and didnt like the fact that it sat higher that i wanted.
originally i had the stock seat sliders botled to the truck (rear seat bracket removed) and laid 2 - 1.5" square tubing the lengh of the seat track, one for the front and one for the rear. the rear needed to be longer due to the seat back brackets.
thats the basic frame... il just have to take a picture so you can get a visual, but i then cut the rear seat mounts from the new frame and notched them so it would slid over the 1.5" tubing. like i said it worked out perfectly but im 6 foot 6 and thats pushing it. my head was about 1-2 inches from the top, on hard bumps i kissed the headliner, and my knee was fondeling the turn signal switch. also the seat belt extention on the seat back was hitting the glass, in addition to the headliner no bueno por caca.. i had a simple fix for it, but still too high for my picky ****.

my solution (in theory) was to recess the tubing inside the slider rails instead of being on top. i didnt have enough time to finish welding sunday so i had to leave it at my parents house till this sunday when i can tear into it. but i sat it in and all i can say is i definatly found the sweet spot. it feels like its in the exact same location as the bench seat, the seat line fits just right... just right!!! now i just wish i had a middle jump seat of my own. i will *borrow* my dads for measurement purposes and knock it out.
pictures will do more justice than words, but i dont have any right now, i will though.
clint
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, it seems like you have a good handle on it clint. Post those pics when you can.

Quick Reply: 99+ silverado seats in 73-87 silverado