PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   2/4 lower kit ? and 20" ?s (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/2-4-lower-kit-20%22-s-83502/)

Vortech5300 06-29-2003 12:32 AM

2/4 lower kit ? and 20" ?s

Whats the best 2/4 lowering kit with the least problems?? I hear the DJM kit with lower arms has bump steer problems, the Bell and McGaughy lower spindles kill the turn radius etc. What is the problem with regular old 2" drop springs and hangers/shackles? This is the cheapest method so I am assuming it is not preferred for a reason? I can get the 2/4 kit with drop springs, hangers, shackles and Nitro shocks for under $400, why should I not?

Also, is 275/45/20 the best all around size tire to use on a reg cab with a 2/4 drop? Gonna be buying this stuff this next week so any help is appreciated.

Anyone have any pics available with a reg cab with a 2/4 drop on 20s?

02gmc 06-29-2003 01:19 AM

Re: 2/4 lower kit ? and 20

i put belltech springs nitro drop shocks on the front as for the rear belltech 3' shackles my axle hangers i removed my stepside bed and torched off the frame rivets that held the hangers to the frame relocated the hangers with the bottom hole off the hanger to the top hole of the frame then i used frame bolts the i use at work to fasten the hanger to the frame i had to cut of the top of the hanger to clear the when i installed bed then i used 3 degree angle shims to get my drive shaft to be proply aligned

Chingon 06-29-2003 02:15 AM

Well, before anything, you have to ask yourself what you want out of the drop kit.

If you want it just for looks, from what I've read, the DJM is what most people go with because it rides like the stock suspension. Not too pricey either.
If you want the drop for performance reasons (handling) then go with Hotchkis. It is a little pricey though.

I will be putting a full 2/4 Hotchkis drop kit with the sway bars soon. I hear this allows you to handle like a sports car(what I want). Some said it was too stiff for them and they changed. I am guessing this stiffness was from people with regular cabs for the following reason.

MarineBlueGMC03 has this kit (without sways) and it rides very nice. I didn't even think he had a 2/4 drop on it because it is so smooth. So I am guessing there is a difference between ext cabs and reg cabs.

I have no personal experience with drop kits, just telling you this from researching all kits out there.

Here are a couple of pics of guys on another board with a 2/4 drop and 20s.
Not drastic, just nice and simple.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lalito/eddie/myshit.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~lalito/eddie/001.jpg

Vortech5300 06-29-2003 05:33 PM

Yeah I know about the alignment I am just wondering if there is enough range of adjustment using the stock control arms. I am sure I am going with the springs to. Lots of people around here using springs with no complaints other then a slightly stiffer ride which is fine with me. I would like it to handle a little better anyway.

JSmith 06-29-2003 08:48 PM

This is my truck by the way. I'm running a Hotchkis drop with 20's and have no rubbing problems at all. My wheels are 20X9.5.

Vortech5300 06-29-2003 08:56 PM

What does the Hotchkis kit use? Springs, hangers and shackles? Is it 2/4?

72firebird 06-29-2003 09:06 PM

Hotchkis is springs I believe. I know that they are one of the best spring manufactures around

OUT2WIN 06-30-2003 02:11 AM

Hey Vortech5300 I got a few homies down in Pasadena. I am sure you have seen a Limegreen Caddy clipped and bagged on 20s sierra in your area. Its tight! Anyway back to the question, I am running a 3/5 drop. I have an extended cab and I think the ride is pretty good. I put Belltech springs in the front and kept my stock shocks(not a good idea they are going out quick) and put a flip kit in da back. The flip kit gave me 6 inches of drop then I put some air shocks in da rear to lift it up an inch. It sits even at 3/5. I am running 20" Helo Beasts with a 265/50/20 toyo proxes and I AM having rubbing problems. I believe the 275/45/20 is slightly smaller than mine and with less drop you should be fine. I hope it makes sense.

Vortech5300 06-30-2003 03:25 AM

Thanks for the pics guys. Which drops are you guys using? Any drawbacks to just using springs as opposed to arms or spindles? Alignment issues? Gonna buy the parts this week so any help is appreciated! Keep the pics coming!

Chingon 06-30-2003 03:51 AM

I'm going to use springs. I've read that spindles decrease turning radius, and arms, I'm unsure of.
You'll have to get an alignment after you drop it no matter what. Unless you WANT to toast your tires.