PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Racing and Kills Forum (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/racing-kills-forum-128/)
-   -   Mustang Vs the 5.9 Limited (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/racing-kills-forum-128/mustang-vs-5-9-limited-459083/)

cttandy 03-18-2010 08:43 PM

Mustang Vs the 5.9 Limited

My wife just had to tell me.

A kid in a "older, loud" mustang wouldn't leave my her alone today. He kept revving his motor and doing ricer fly-by's. Once she got to the end of town she raced him from a roll.

She said it was pretty sad. At what she thought was half throttle, she was walking away from him like he was broke.

She said she was scared to take him from a dig because she hadn't tried that yet. I know it will lay a solid 25ft of rubber before it hooks.

My wife is so awesome!

DAYTONA81 03-23-2010 10:32 AM

haha sweet

GMCtrk 03-23-2010 10:33 AM

Is your 89 suburban still getting 31 mpg?

THE-HOE 03-23-2010 10:40 AM

ha good kill, you better buy her a video camera so she can start filming some races

00ChevyScott 03-23-2010 11:27 AM

Why the fuck would someone try to race a jeep grand cherokee....

cttandy 03-23-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by DAYTONA81 (Post 4422075)
haha sweet

Hot Rodding Momma

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4422076)
Is your 89 suburban still getting 31 mpg?

87 suburban and 32 MPG, it was right up till I sold it this weekend. The new owner has sent me a few texts, he is quite dumb founded how well it does. My wife got tired of fighting people on these small back roads. The truck was as wide as the road at several points. I am going to miss the 26 MPG pulling a loaded trailer. I am not going to miss being just about the slowest vehicle around though.

Originally Posted by THE-HOE (Post 4422080)
ha good kill, you better buy her a video camera so she can start filming some races

I am going to try to get a video with it pretty soon.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4422115)
Why the fuck would someone try to race a jeep grand cherokee....

A lot of people know what a 5.9 Limited is around here. The truck also has a very healthy sounding exhaust even though it is completely stock. We have people try to race us pretty often, but normally just ignore them. Whats the point in taking a chance on getting in trouble when you know full well that the other vehicle doesn't have a prayer against you. 5.7 hemi's need not even bother, they don't have a remote prayer stock.

Stock these would run 0-60 in sub 7 second runs, spinning the back tires until the 4x4 kicked in. Now, with a standard transfer case in it, if you put it in 4x4 then launch it, it is actually quite painful, no spin just a hard launch. Like I said, I need to try to record a video of it so I can get an idea of just how fast it is.

Do a youtube search for 5.9 Grand Cherokee, you will understand why someone wants to race it.

00ChevyScott 03-23-2010 12:51 PM

I watched some videos, I'm still not seeing how fast you claim this thing to be.

I know the 5.9 is a torquey motor, I've driven an R/T dakota, but they have shit for top end.

cttandy 03-23-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4422189)
I watched some videos, I'm still not seeing how fast you claim this thing to be.

I know the 5.9 is a torquey motor, I've driven an R/T dakota, but they have shit for top end.

the 5.9 r/t trucks are crap compared to the jeep. Look up the old magazine articles on it, the Grand Cherokee was like 3 seconds faster 0-60 then the r/t trucks.

They performed several special tweaks to the 5.9 Limited, that they never did on the r/t trucks. One was a beefed tranny, another was electric cooling fan, and some 25 degrees additional timing, specail high flow exhaust, all of which the r/t's didn't get, among other things. Not to mention, the Jeep is supposed to be lighter, however, I have seen no number to back that up.

I will agree, the r/t trucks are absolute junk on top end. The additional timing was supposed to boost the top end performance, according to jeep. I haven't had it past 100MPH, and it was still pulling really hard at that point.

Granted there are a lot of much faster modified trucks on this website, but for a stock truck, this thing rocks. It was the fastest production SUV right until the SRT8 Grand Cherokee came out. They claim the GMC Typhoon isn't a production vehicle as it was shipped out to an 3rd party for all the turbo equipment to be installed.

I believe they ran high 13's - low 14's bone stock in the 1/4. Once again, not nearly as fast as some of the modified trucks on here, but it will clean up a Mustang.

00ChevyScott 03-23-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cttandy (Post 4422212)
but for a stock truck, this thing rocks.

I agree with you there, I bet it is fun to drive. I just don't see how anyone would try to race that thing as much as you claim. I guess people just don't race as much around here or something.

cttandy 03-23-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4422215)
I agree with you there, I bet it is fun to drive. I just don't see how anyone would try to race that thing as much as you claim. I guess people just don't race as much around here or something.

Yeah, if you drive up and down the main drag, the kids always want to race if you have something loud and sounds good. They constantly want to race the suburban, it was loud and had a hard lope to it (N/A Diesels do that), but you were guaranteed to loose against even a moped in it, LOL. It is a pretty big problem around here.

For a joke, Dad and I will pull up to a red light and rev our motors, play with the shifters and when the light turns green we just sit there. Watch the kids go blasting off through town. We get a big kick out of it, especially if there is a cop sitting near by. Thanks to the computer shop, we know most of the cops, they think it is funny. They let the kids off with a warning.

Also, look at a pic of a 5.9 Limited. It has lower ground effects, sporty looking wheels, chrome exhaust top out the back, has big heat louvers in the hood, real dark tinted windows. It has about a racy looking appearance as you would see out of a vehicle in 98.