PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Something Different, Something Fresh: My version of an AMA Outdoor National Race Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot damn version 1.0 looks good.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Shoot I gotz a little Honda 90cc with electric start and I be popping wheelies on it.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
This isn't my bike, but I did and am doing the majority of the work on it.

Here are some pics from the first build, we'll call it RM250 Version 1.0

Couple "in progress" engine pics:

Hahaha your in progress engine pics look remarkably similar to my dinning room table a few months ago after some dick cheese decided to steal my 250sx and ride it down the high way until it melted....

Name:  BBE32EE1-535A-41CD-BDCA-9AFDFBD2A383_zps44x4dbep.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  6A7BF373-73D4-47B8-B50C-3E24DA579ED0_zpssxlc2rcd.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  190.2 KB

Name:  A325CBC1-0F09-4126-94B6-16BBD0931B76_zps5lf3klnk.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  156.4 KB

Obviously you're doing it with a much higher attention detail. I always like spending other peoples money

Not sure if you yourself ride but its nice to see some moto talk happening. I've been pretty heavy into it myself since I was 12, it's my first crush, even before trucks! I used to race pretty a lot until a combination of school and broken bones forced me into being a professional practice rider... Worst decision ever.

Cant wait to see what you end up doing with this thing. Not many guys hold onto 2 strokes, let alone a suzuki!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:14 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

First off, thanks for the views and comments guys. Keep them coming.....I don't have to keep secret like I do on "Alcatraz". lol

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Now your thinking!

I have a customer that has a guy that does professional hill climbing.
It takes a special dude to compete on a professional level in hill climb. Bet that dude is a riot to hang with.

Originally Posted by wretched73
You tore apart the bottom end... again? After only 2 years of riding? Those two strokes don't care how hard you beat on them, they can take it.

I've got a 1988 Trx 250r and after 28 years the bottom end is still strong and all original. Just port the top end and you will make gobs of power. Get a bigger top end and you can wipe the floor with any 4 stroke out there.

Is he getting a new cylinder for it? Might as well go 310cc+, the torque would be plain nasty. I'd also look at getting a smart carb, I've read some real good reviews on them.

Anyway, thanks for posting, its a beautiful bike. I've got a real soft spot for anything 2 stroke, there just isnt anything else like that powerband
In version 1.0 the bottom end was assembled with the parts that came out of it plus new replacements for anything that was out of spec (output shaft, shifter forks, etc).

I split the cases for Version 2.0 for several reasons:

1. The crankshaft needed to get balanced for a heavier piston
2. All bearings where sent to Microblue for his "Jesus treatment".
3. All transmission components (gears, shafts, forks, fork shafts, cam, etc) was sent out for a REM polishing treatment and then to Microblue.
4. There where a couple of pieces that I wanted to replace on Version 1.0 but we didn't have the time to wait for back order parts such as the pawls and pins in the shifter linkage.

Originally Posted by dewrag
Hahaha your in progress engine pics look remarkably similar to my dinning room table a few months ago after some dick cheese decided to steal my 250sx and ride it down the high way until it melted....

Obviously you're doing it with a much higher attention detail. I always like spending other peoples money

Not sure if you yourself ride but its nice to see some moto talk happening. I've been pretty heavy into it myself since I was 12, it's my first crush, even before trucks! I used to race pretty a lot until a combination of school and broken bones forced me into being a professional practice rider... Worst decision ever.

Cant wait to see what you end up doing with this thing. Not many guys hold onto 2 strokes, let alone a suzuki!
Kick *** dude. What is the deal with the KTM main bearings I'm seeing in your pics? Looks like there is a press in race in the case halves, then you add the rollers and then there is a press on race on the crank shaft it self. In these jap bikes, the main bearing is a one piece deal that gets pressed into the case half.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Lectron? They're still in business? I always thought they were for guys who couldn't figure out Keihins.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There is nothing on this planet like a 2stroke.

And nothing compares to the rush you get going WOT with one.

Shattered my tibia and tore my ACL on one... good times...
Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I gotta disagree Graeme. A moto-x 450 is a gnarly steed. There is a reason they now let 250cc 2 strokes run with 250cc 4 strokes and STILL no one chooses to. The new 4 strokes are even more violent AND they have bottom end snap.

I had a both a a YZ250f and a YZ450f. Loved them.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not seeing it.

http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/p...ssRulebook.pdf

page 43 section 5.5

Last edited by Able2007; 12-13-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06

Kick *** dude. What is the deal with the KTM main bearings I'm seeing in your pics? Looks like there is a press in race in the case halves, then you add the rollers and then there is a press on race on the crank shaft it self. In these jap bikes, the main bearing is a one piece deal that gets pressed into the case half.
The case bearings were a pain in the *** to deal with, if a guy had the right puller it would be alright but it would be a highly specialized tool. I ended up grinding out the ignition side outer race. I was not a happy with myself hahah

It goes outer race/roller assembly into the case, and then the inner race on the crank. One of the thermotrons at work was hanging out at -40 so I left the bearings in there for an hour or so and hit the cases with the torch, gravity did the rest.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Interesting. I never looked at the AMA rule book but I thought they changed it years ago.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is a modern 450 truly is a large step ahead of a 250cc 2 stroke in the power department. I think most who have been out of the game think 4 stroke and immediately go to an XR250 or 400ex they rode one time. Hell even the 450cc 4 wheelers off the showroom floor are limp dick compared to the motocross bikes. Of course that can be changed.