PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   silver-mod-'s KBracing96 front mount turbo project (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/silver-mod-s-kbracing96-front-mount-turbo-project-423929/)

silver-mod-o 08-27-2008 01:35 PM

silver-mod-'s KBracing96 front mount turbo project

That it is definitely time for my little ole 5.3 to have some boost in its life.

The kit will be a full kbracing96 intercooled front mount. I know in the past, he's made hot parts to sell but I guess I have talked him into fabbing a full kit for me. It will be using the MP-T70 turbo and his choice of BOV and wastegate, 60lb injectors and a fresh 255 pump will also go in. I'm guessing the intercooler will be pretty healthy since he asked if I had a problem notching my front frame rails... I'm sure he can give all the rest of the specifics of the kit.

Ill be changing a few other things in the truck as well to compliment the turbo and to make it work better. Things like gears, converter, cam and fuel system... I've been feeling the itch for a while now and after seeing and driving/riding in chracold-bowtie's trick turbo'd 4.8 truck, I couldn't help myself.

Kyle, be looking for that payment in the next day or two so you can get hoppin on the fab work. Thanks for your help so far and I'm sure help in the coming months as I get this thing dialed in... send/post pics as you can Kyle... I'll be eager to see how everything is coming along.

Oh, and Colton... Damn you lol... My wallet hates being around your truck :)

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o update on 9/11/08 (Post 3998691)
I'm sure a lot of you have already seen bits and pieces of this build scattered around the site. I figured I'd put it in one place and make it a little easier to follow.

Here's the basics:
Its going to be a custom fabbed complete front mount turbo kit using an MP T-70 turbo and one of Kyles proven heavy duty log manifolds. It will also utilize a sizeable air/air intercooler.

The truck its going on I'm sure a lot of you are probably familiar with. Its my 2000 2WD ECSB 5.3 truck. Raceweight of this truck even after the turbo kit should be between 4000 and 4100lbs. This truck was previously setup to run on nitrous and a Harris Speedworks wet kit which did well... But I'm ready for HP you don't have to fill up.

I've already started making changes to help the turbo work better. Went back to some 3.73 gears vs my old 4.10s and already had a custom turbo cam specd out for me. A new walbro 255 pump has also been ordered to replace my current one, which will feed 60# injectors. A bolt in C-notch and caltracs will be going out back to help with traction, I'm sure that's going to be a battle. I will be putting the power through the Finish Line Level 5 4L65E Transmission and Yank SS3600 torque converter that I have been running for a while now. The converter size and type is subject to change though... I'd rather not be hard in the boost leaving every redlight :jest:

There you have it, I'm looking for solid 11s out of this combo. The motor has almost 130K miles on it so I'm sure you'll be seeing another build thread from me soon lol. But who knows, sometimes these motors last freakishly long under some serious abuse.

Kyle, throw any info and/or pics you can in here.

Mods, can you link my other threads from the f/i and drivetrain/suspension sections in here if ya get a chance. I can't do that from my PDA.

thunder550 08-27-2008 01:48 PM

Congrats man! You'll be happy, Kyle does great work once he gets motivated to actually get out and do something! The motivation is the hard part :jest:

silver-mod-o 08-27-2008 01:56 PM

I have no doubts that ill be happy with the kit... I'm going to get the hot side coated here in tx and probaly powdercoat the cold side myself. If someone would cut me a deal on all the coating I'd be inclined to have it all done in one place though.

Install is still a while away so I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy and be patient... I still have to get a beater to drive around and take my truck off the road for a week or so to make all the changes... A rcsb 4cyl 5spd S-10 would do the trick I'm sure...

nonnieselman 08-27-2008 04:53 PM

Bout time Ben, Your goin to really love it.
Colton sent me a scan of his truck the other day.. his Trans Temps skyrocketed and he said he might have a problem... I know the feeling..

Go with some 3.42s.. the converter you have in there now would work. but my goodness it would flash to 5000.. :devil:
Cool thing is, its like nitrous that never turns off or runs out..

kbracing96 08-27-2008 06:00 PM

Thank you guys! Not a problem Ben ;)

FYI Guys, I'm going to be make a limited production run of full intercooled kits like this one, at a great price. :) Look for a thread in the sponsor product section shortly.

trever1t 08-27-2008 06:02 PM

Way to go! It sounds way cool and I'm sure Kyle will good care of you. :judge:

silver-mod-o 08-27-2008 06:16 PM

I've had a couple offers to swap for TT3000 converters. Ill most likely step back down to some 3.73 or 3.90 gears. The problem with the TT series is the fact that its not billet. I swore to myself I'd never run another converter that wasn't billet... I believe the front cover flexes too much... Causing input and pump failure. I have been considering just going with a brand new 3000 PI 5 disk and being done with it. I love my SS3600... But driving that converter on the street with boost would get annoying. Not to mention a ton of wear and tear on everything behind it...

I'm open to suggestions guys as far as the rest of the drivetrain... Like I told Kyle on the phone, I'm not even going to play like I know everything about setting up a turbo vehicle correctly. I know the basics which will put me headed in the right direction but all the specifics are up in the air. This will be quite a learning experience...

nonnieselman 08-27-2008 06:23 PM

I loved my TT3000... it was plenty tight to drive every day and it would have been super fun if i had nailed down my tune..

It depends on your tire size as to what gear ratio.. but you know that.. I like my 3.42s.. haha

silver-mod-o 08-27-2008 06:38 PM

I'm sure the characteristics of the TT3000 are what I'm looking for... But I don't know about the strength of that converter. And I wouldn't mind locking this one up at WOT unlike my Yank, which I never have done... The multi disk converter makes me feel a little more confident about that... Ask anyone who has seen my lockup settings in HPT. I baby the lockup in this thing...

nonnieselman 08-27-2008 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o (Post 3989119)
I'm sure the characteristics of the TT3000 are what I'm looking for... But I don't know about the strength of that converter. And I wouldn't mind locking this one up at WOT unlike my Yank, which I never have done... The multi disk converter makes me feel a little more confident about that... Ask anyone who has seen my lockup settings in HPT. I baby the lockup in this thing...

Screw it,, go 80E and be done with it... haha
If i had to do it all over again, i would start out with a 80E. Would have saved me alot of time and headache..

And if you have ever seen the 80E converter.. you could lock that monster up any time and it would laugh at you...