PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

"Project Twister" 06 GMC Sierra Denalli crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Project Twister" 06 GMC Sierra Denalli crew

Hey guys thanks for checkin out the build thread I have named "Project Twister". My goal is simple I want to push the limits of this truck to the max while still keeping functionality in mind. As the build has progressed it has kinda gotten out of hand slightly but is still the same goal. Basically I want to know where my limits are with stock parts so I can easily duplicate parts of the build for a quick turnaround at my shop, while keeping reliability in mind, as well as drivability. Once I feel that is accomplished I plan to turn it into a monster and push the combo to the max. It's been done before I'm sure but with so many different factors at play I decided to give it a shot as trucks were kind of written off around here as work horses and not much of toys/hotrodding.

My combo R&D..
Milled ls3 castings, stock w/ stock 1.7 rocker w/ trunions, ls9 head gaskets, arp bolts
Cam is a custom grind hyd. Roller by yours truely based on gentle lobes for endurance road racing/ extended high rpm stability. I drive it daily..
Intake is a Holley high rise 102, w nick Williams dbw and x link 60lb hr injector
Exhaust is kooks headers 17/8" with off road mid pipes. Factory muffler to start with..
4l60e w/ 3400 stall billet multi disk circle d stock awd t case np149 to start

Last edited by lsxperformance; 06-29-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

500horse ? At the wheels ? You serious ?

Hahahaha J/K , 500 is Easy !

Checkout 03sierraSLTs Denali , he's making big power with his AWD driveline.

These AWD ( nvg149) and 4x4 tcases are fine under big power. It's not going to be the limiting factor of your build.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxperfomance
Lq9 6.0, LS3 heads, Holley high rise, cam, exhaust.
I'm going to shoot for 500 hp with it at wheel. Probly a high goal for it being awd but hey, a guy has to have goals!

This is stage 1 of it, stage 2 the twins are goin on...
That will be no problem, you mean 500hp with a turbo right?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Nope 500 n/a is the goal if it dosent get there should be close. Well see and I don't think awd is a limiting factor, I just think there is a good chance it won't make it due to parasitic loss, then with the twins I'm goin for 6-700 on corn. 9-10psi max nothin crazy. Till I forge it lol then it's on! I think before the heads/ cam go on I'm gonna pull the engine and re-ring the engine and new bearings reseal it, new cam bearings with some quality bearings just to freshen it up. 130k on it at the moment it's not a ton of miles just wanna get my ring gap where I want it so I don't have to pull it later.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

500 NA is gonna be really hard through the AWD drivetrain NA.

I'm not gonna say its impossible, but I will say that it will be an absolute max effort build. And in a heavy crew cab it won't be fun to drive. It's gonna take a big *** converter, and at the end of the day it will be fast, but not THAT fast.

Get your cam and converter as though youre building it for the turbo's and just do it right the first time. Take it from someone who has the SAME truck, and went down almost the SAME exact path.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Ya if it's what's in your sig it's quite a bit larger cam( in the 230s), did some head work nothin crazy tho. Time will tell... Not trying to build the fastest just a fun, decent daily drivable set up. Raised compression a bit too when I milled heads not much tho. I'll CC them when I get back to see where compression will be after I reshaped the chamber. I would post some pics but I don't know how to resize pics in an I phone 4s?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Ya, 500rwhp with a NA 6.0 is not likely through AWD. Heck through a 2wd truck drivetrain would be hard enough. I am not trying to discourage you, I am just putting that out there.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Not discouraged lol it will make what it makes. It will be boosted eventually so that's what I'm shootin for. It def will be better than the blazing 270 It has now lol.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You had it on the dyno stock and it made 270? That's cool.

As far as the power you'll make... It takes a cam as big as you're talking with a top of the line AFR 230 head (or similar) to make 500 in a car. In a truck you're starting at least 30 in the hole.

Also, why bump the compression if boost is the end game?? And there is absolutely no need for a cam that big with a turbo. You're literally gonna do everything twice.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Will be on E85 for boost I've ran it many times and had great success. It likes some compression. I've done 500 wheel with several ls3 headed 6.0s just never tried on a 4X4, never thought to try it to be honest. I'll probly be about the same compression as stock I'm sure because the chamber changes I did. Like I say need to cc them when they get back from being milled.

The last 6.0L car I did with e85 made 809/725 wheel on 12psi. But not a truck so pretty much ya never know till ya try hell even if it does 450 I'll be happy. Lol

Quick Reply: "Project Twister" 06 GMC Sierra Denalli crew