PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Rebel Yell"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_ek
How are you liking the sloppy stage 2 cam and the 3200 stall for the LQ9? Now that you have driven it a good bit would you choose something bigger, smaller, or is it just right for you?

I am getting ready to swap in an LQ9 in my truck, and I am trying to decide what cam to go with. The truck is my daily, so it will need to drive well. Not going to be a race truck only. Really the only towing I do is if I am hauling my RZR somewhere, so maybe 2500-3000lbs occasionally. I was thinking a 3000 Yank or Circle D converter for mine.

Thoughts? I love the way your truck is coming along.
Thanks... It idles great with a little chop. With the Circle D and PAC 1218's it pulls strong to 6500 in the little single cab. If the truck was a lot heavier I would probably want the torque coming in a bit sooner but for my truck it's spot on. The valvetrain is quiet with the mid .585 lift so no complaints there. Used the stock push rods and retainers and some new (bulk) LS7 lifters. Can't beat the price of the Elgin plus they offer IIRC three different grinds, two smaller and one larger.

I may have over done the assembly lube

Project "Rebel Yell"-edatuuh.jpg
Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shes beautiful and a beast.
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (09-10-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking truck. How's it running? im about 20 mins south of Charlotte i would love to come see it after this hurricane passes, hope all is well and your family stay safe
Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 AM
100% Redneck

Installed a Yukon DuraGrip with 4.10's to replace the open diff and 3.42's. Getting the proper carrier preload and backlash I pulled and reinstalled the carrier eight times. I was just within specs at .010 backlash (.006 to .010) but wanted it a bit tighter. The next try was a little tight at .004 then the last test fit came to .008 backlash exactly what I wanted.

The pattern looked good with a .034 pinion shim (oem shim was .033) so I didn't have to re-shim the pinion and start over. The crush sleeve eliminator kit took three tries .027 shim no pinion preload, .024 shim to much preload, and last the .025 shim came out to 18 in/lbs preload at the tight end of the 14 to 19 spec.

Hooked up HP Tuners and changed the settings in the Tire/Gear Wizard to adjust the speedo for the new gear ratio and to automatically scale the transmission parameters. During the test drive I heard no gear noise and noticed the truck pulled the hills on the road effortlessly where with the 3.42's I'd have to open the throttle more to keep the same highway speed. The camshaft is closer to the RPM range, you know the sound and feel where she wants to pull really hard! I wanted to get a little rowdy but I'm just starting the 500 mile gear break in and you're supposed to stay under 60 mph the first 100 miles.

Project "Rebel Yell"-rwfpnr3.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-rchxv98.jpg

Pressing on carrier bearings plus installing the ring gear and torquing the bolts

Project "Rebel Yell"-cv23bll.jpg

Backlash .008

Project "Rebel Yell"-mqsybtm.jpg

Drive side pattern

Project "Rebel Yell"-omoihlm.jpg

Coast side pattern

Project "Rebel Yell"-gican3f.jpg

The factory grease used to install the yoke had turned to glue after 19 years and was tough to drive off the pinion splines. I soaked it overnight in lacquer thinner to remove.

Project "Rebel Yell"-iirnepb.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-7147lfd.jpg

Last edited by RedXray; 11-20-2018 at 12:47 AM.
strutaeng (09-22-2022)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck is surgically clean, as usual. Nice to see another build escape The GMFS Troll Farm
RedXray (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:12 AM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by 262_NBS
Truck is surgically clean, as usual. Nice to see another build escape The GMFS Troll Farm
Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice build! You work clean, I like that.
RedXray (11-27-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:41 AM
100% Redneck

I've felt a little uncomfortable not doing the trunion upgrade during the build. Now I can sleep easier not having nightmares of needle bearings dancing around in the oil pan. I went with the brass bushings after researching and finding out the Comp, BTR and all of the caged needle kits have abnormal wear patterns on the bottom of the trunions.

Abnormal trunion wear.

Project "Rebel Yell"-mgusltu.jpg

I went with the Smith Brothers kit. It's packaged very well and came with two extra snap rings. Not a bad deal for $140 shipped (ebay). I ordered on a Wednesday and it was delivered the next day with standard shipping!

Project "Rebel Yell"-afxui6j.jpg

Tear down happy to see no stray needles

Project "Rebel Yell"-hrjzb4q.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-0uizq9f.jpg

The 20 Ton Harbor Freight easily dismantled the old trunions. I used just my thumb in the bottle jack to lessen the power and to have a better tactile feel.

Project "Rebel Yell"-w1sfjj1.jpg

Pressing the bushings in the rockers.

Project "Rebel Yell"-zzhvwun.jpg

I had to bust out my lighted magnifying glass to better see the clips and the tiny holes for the snap ring pliers. Getting old has a few draw backs... like seeing small objects... it's better than NOT getting old!

Project "Rebel Yell"-ktawizc.jpg

First two!

Project "Rebel Yell"-5xtnpdd.jpg

All pressed in ready to reassemble!

Project "Rebel Yell"-awy75tm.jpg

Installed and torqued to 22 ft/lbs

Project "Rebel Yell"-nl9fghx.jpg

Valve covers back on and plugs & wires back in.

Project "Rebel Yell"-foa2ijg.jpg

All finished

Project "Rebel Yell"-hjyphe2.jpg
Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice job on the Rockers and it's good to see you going the extra step setting up your gears, I always have some one ask me to look at their gear issues a few months after they didn't set theirs up right the first time.
RedXray (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:02 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by 3wide
Nice job on the Rockers and it's good to see you going the extra step setting up your gears, I always have some one ask me to look at their gear issues a few months after they didn't set theirs up right the first time.
Thanks!

I'm a paint, body, collision guy done some wrenching along the way but always ended back in the primer and bondo dust. I now have the utmost respect for guys that specialize in gears. Just driving the pinion yoke off was a job in itself. From knocking the races out/in to test fitting the carrier over half a dozen times is very physical work while using jack stands. Then the grease OMG when I was finished I was greasier than the underside of the truck! I didn't even think about washing the work jeans, just tossed um in the trash.

I think I'll stick to mangled sheet metal and deadly paint fumes

Quick Reply: Project "Rebel Yell"