PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Rebel Yell"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Running a lot better that's forsure, bet your liking it more now lol.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

How's the truck doing?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad01z71
How's the truck doing?

Running great, just hit the 500 mile mark and did the first oil change. Going tomorrow to get some custom tailpipes installed or maybe rework the new Speed Engineering tails to fit. It sounds great as is with the dumps, but turning 61 last week... it's a little much for me Seems like every kid in a Honda or Toyota wants to race lol. I'm still scheduled for dyno tuning in Oct at PCM of NC. Just want to make sure the tune is on the safe side and maybe they can find some more power.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (09-22-2022)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal glad she's running and doing good for you. Was a pretty slick truck in person I'd expect nothing less than running good!
I hear ya I had to bolt up my manual cut out and I'm only 30 so now it's dumped at rearend with jones turbine muffler don't get me wrong it sounded mean but also was asking for a ticket as it sounded like I was giving it the beans with these hills and stall converter lol. Did my second oil change yesterday since the add ons finally got an interface so I've been logging while atomics been tuning, but she's coming around. Idle on this cam/setup is probably been the biggest wall to climb but the last file he sent seems to be on the money hopefully some WOT tunning soon! On the way to the hospital for wife's surgery I logged and did a 2nd gear pull all the way to 3rd but wife accidentally deleted it haha she got a pass she didn't mean to. Hopefully I can get some logs tomorrow if they release her.

Keep us updated on the truck bud, and enjoy her.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 PM
100% Redneck

Sounds like you're progressing well.!

Mine idled great but I'd have to come to a complete stop for the idle to drop down to (850) normal. This added to the noise factor in stop and go driving as the idle was around 1100 while creeping toward a red light. The factory ECM setting for the throttle "cracker" is set at 3 & 2 MPH, so below 3 it would idle down to 850 and above 2 mph it would crack the throttle's butterfly and idle back up to 1100. I set it at 27 & 25 MPH, so now it's idling at 850 when it drops below 27 mph. Now it's more comfortable to drive and I can roll through my neighborhood slower with less noise and without having to drag the brakes.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Mines issue was when I was at low speeds or on The brake and turning sharp it would surge up to 750ish and down to 200ish sometimes it would die, but pretty sure that issue is fixed gotta drive it a bit more and see. That was all on a mail order he was pretty close since then I've got the interface now he's been helping left and right getting better and better just gonna take time.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 PM
100% Redneck

My exhaust guy was able to re-work the Speed Engineering dual tailpipes to fit between the bed and the rear housing. The tips are off just a bit as one points inward. No big deal as the tips in their original configuration are nothing but hideous to say the least, plus I wasn't gonna complain when he only charged me $50 I just need to move one hanger to fix the tips... thinking about replacing them with some black ones anyway.

Here are the Speed Engineering tips in their original location. I don't care for how far they hang down and the separation between the tips.

(pic from the se exhaust thread, very nice truck BTW)

Project "Rebel Yell"-nwjlprt.jpg
Project "Rebel Yell"-egax9dc.jpg

Here they are re-worked closer together and tucked up higher.

Project "Rebel Yell"-rw3iode.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-laur1zz.jpg

If anyone in the Charlotte, NC metro area that needs a good muffler shop... these guys do a lot of hotrods, nice work at a very reasonable price.

$50
Project "Rebel Yell"-n86vv8t.jpg

Going to Walmart... the dump truck had traffic backed up and I thought I could get infront of him but the black car was turning. There was an opening just behind the truck, giving it about half throttle you can hear the converter spin up then break the tires lose when the trans shifts. I did not mean to do that but the Performabuilt transmission has such a firm shift It's hard not to bark the tires.

Idling you can hardly even hear the truck running... so much better than the obnoxious sound without the tails.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Coming around I like it a lot bud real nice work for $50! Still getting KR? What all did that fella do to wake her up?
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by Bad01z71
Coming around I like it a lot bud real nice work for $50! Still getting KR? What all did that fella do to wake her up?
I need to do some data logging to see. But with the noise pollution gone... I can't hear any pinging or detonation. I'll hook up the HPT tomorrow and hopefully It will show none. He changed both the spark and VE tables from what I could tell.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 PM
100% Redneck

I can't get over just how amazing the truck sounds now

But what I didn't like was how the blingy lopsided, asymmetrical stainless pipes looked from the rear. Took some long pieces of 180 emery cloth, roughed up the finish like you'd polish a shoe. Then shot some VHT high heat paint on the pipes. The blingy disappeared and now they look a lot better. I wish I would have bought the satin clear to top coat as the flat is just a little dull. At the time I wasn't sure how they'd come out and the VHT clear is $10 per can. I'll pick some up when they need some touching up.

Project "Rebel Yell"-xc0cqqs.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-u9tvscv.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-z7uzeuz.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-nxfs7np.jpg

Quick Reply: Project "Rebel Yell"