PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Rebel Yell"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah he won't have time to do it for along while Vs my schedule so I may have to go with a MO or I have found a close place called Carolina performance and dyno but they are pretty new.

Stall has worked out so far, I haven't really beat on it to much yet got some things to work out plus tuning. That being said it likes to spin ha.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Ever get the miss fire figured? Asked frost about it?

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad01z71
Ever get the miss fire figured? Asked frost about it?

I don't believe it's a misfire. The AEM wideband drops rich into the 9's when it hits the stumble. I'm also having issues with a VIN/OS mismatch trying to license HPTuners. Frost put my V6 VIN back on the 0411 ECM and I lost two credits. Just sent it back to frost to straighten out the VIN issue along with a .hpl data log. Hopefully he can tweak his original base tune to eliminate the stumble. I was told on another forum it's a power enrichment issue and to drop the numbers then reflash.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A misfire will make the A/F go rich due to the unburnt fuel, from the misfire.

Also, that tube/fin trans cooler isn't going to do much for you, those things don't allow enough residence time in the cooler for a good exchange of temp with the air. You need a plate/fin type like OEM, or the tru-cool. I've been down the road. Also, consider bypassing the factory radiator trans cooler. Just run your lines directly to the front of the truck, to a good cooler, and back. I know a couple trucks running around using A/C condensers from small cars as a trans fluid cooler. They work well and have a ton of cooling capacity. I've personally used Ford Powerstroke trans coolers. They work very well and are easy to mount. I had a 6.0 Ford cooler on my 01 GMC.

super clean build, kudos.
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
A misfire will make the A/F go rich due to the unburnt fuel, from the misfire.

Also, that tube/fin trans cooler isn't going to do much for you, those things don't allow enough residence time in the cooler for a good exchange of temp with the air. You need a plate/fin type like OEM, or the tru-cool. I've been down the road. Also, consider bypassing the factory radiator trans cooler. Just run your lines directly to the front of the truck, to a good cooler, and back. I know a couple trucks running around using A/C condensers from small cars as a trans fluid cooler. They work well and have a ton of cooling capacity. I've personally used Ford Powerstroke trans coolers. They work very well and are easy to mount. I had a 6.0 Ford cooler on my 01 GMC.

super clean build, kudos.
Thanks
Got the ECM back from frost... he didn't bother himself to touch the tune even with the recent .hpl file I sent. After installing I lowered the PE to 1.15 across the table. That took care of the mid throttle stumble. It was still running rich a/f at wot in the 10's. A member over at tech edited my tune file and it really awoke the truck. I'm now around 11.5 a/f at wot so there's more power out there... but it's a good start. A tru-cool 40K is definitely on the to-do list and the small cooler that came with the trans is bypassed from the radiator.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I felt off about Frost like he couldn't be bothered with my setup or questions/concerns.
That being said I went with Atomic fab and performance and he's done a dang good job so far we have a bit of things to work on with it, but the man's customer service is top notch and he has answered every question I had even ones not based on tuning.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 PM
100% Redneck

Yep I taped a thumb drive to the ECM when I sent it back for the VIN change... frost didn't even touch it. If he wouldn't have monkeyed with the VIN in the first place I would be weeks ahead and zero drama trying to get my HPTuners to interface with the ECM. I guess a tuners business can get to big he forgets about the little guy. If you can't tweak your own mail order tunes, when you have the ECM in your hands, plugged into your tuning bench harness... you need to quit selling mail order tunes IMO.

On his www it says: Mail order Tuning includes free updates for 90 days from the time of original purchase with the customer covering shipping and handling both ways" It doesn't tell you that is only for speedo, tire size, electric fans etc. and not fixing a bad tune. That is kinda misleading at best
Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
Thanks
Got the ECM back from frost... he didn't bother himself to touch the tune even with the recent .hpl file I sent. After installing I lowered the PE to 1.15 across the table. That took care of the mid throttle stumble. It was still running rich a/f at wot in the 10's. A member over at tech edited my tune file and it really awoke the truck. I'm now around 11.5 a/f at wot so there's more power out there... but it's a good start. A tru-cool 40K is definitely on the to-do list and the small cooler that came with the trans is bypassed from the radiator.
good deal, looks like you've got it handled
Old 07-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedXray
Yep I taped a thumb drive to the ECM when I sent it back for the VIN change... frost didn't even touch it. If he wouldn't have monkeyed with the VIN in the first place I would be weeks ahead and zero drama trying to get my HPTuners to interface with the ECM. I guess a tuners business can get to big he forgets about the little guy. If you can't tweak your own mail order tunes, when you have the ECM in your hands, plugged into your tuning bench harness... you need to quit selling mail order tunes IMO.

On his www it says: Mail order Tuning includes free updates for 90 days from the time of original purchase with the customer covering shipping and handling both ways" It doesn't tell you that is only for speedo, tire size, electric fans etc. and not fixing a bad tune. That is kinda misleading at best
Thats a dang shame, I'd be pretty upset about the way he's done ya.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM
100% Redneck

Member "subeone" over at tech did another edit on my tune file. Now It's running good for a NA cam/headers only truck. The wideband is showing 12.54 @ wot (6500). Did a quick hit at 40 mph to 6500 and it broke the tire lose when it shifted at 60 mph. Showing a little KR in high gear under very lite throttle. I only have one exhaust hanger holding the heavy Speed Engineering tru-dual mufflers and system.

I'm thinking the KR may be from the exhaust plus it's vibrating and rattling the interior plastics from resonance and drone, buzzing like crazy when in high gear. Needs a muffler shop to tweak the SE tailpipes to fit the 4/6 drop as there very little clearance between the rear housing and the underside of the bed. That should get the exhaust system rigid then I'll know if it's really a false KR.

Short hit to 6500

Quick Reply: Project "Rebel Yell"