PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project Man-Van

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be awesome if you did some cray pinstriping on the van. At the chevy dealer I used to work at our parts van had (fake) gold leaf and pinstriping and looked BADASS!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badass. I wish i could get over my hatred of vans, they really are quite useful.

I just cant stand driving one, and seeing as thats what most of our service rigs are i cant avoid the damn things. Sitting over the front tires and feeling like youre going to roll is creepy at times.

Youre doing a damn good job building it up. Should be super comfortable. Also, Id just leave it white as nobody will notice it and try to get inside. Get too flashy looking and you need a good alarm.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice I'm gonna follow this, just make sure to put free candy on the side of the van
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This title is soooo gay Julien !!!!!!

But i like the van!! I rock mine every day to work !!

I dig the rhino lining , awesome !!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Badass project man
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I like the pre-runner idea over the lowering idea, if only to keep it from acting like a shovel in the desert, although I would stick with 16s or 17s as opposed to 20s. We have a few Quigley 4x4 Ford Express vans at work that are lifted on 33s and you can go anywhere you won't tip or run of power (4.6 junk); I drove a brand-new stock-height one with the Quigley 4x4 retrofit last year (2011 or 2012 Chevrolet Express 4.8/6L90E) and it drove great everywhere I went. I think leveled on some all-terrain 265/75-16s or 70-17s (285s if you can fit them and stay reasonably low) would really fit the get-around-without-getting-stuck-or-needing-a-4x4-conversion bill just remember that the vans have a ridiculously-high center of gravity vs the trucks, and you can certainly feel it
I don't plan to do any off-roading with it but I will need to drive a little ways into the desert in order to get the the camp-sites. So raising it up and 4x4 is not in the plans, because if I do that...**** I don't know where I would stop!
Reasons for lowering it is two fold:
1) Looks and handling, like you said the center of gravity is a bit high and I don't need the clearance.
2) Gas mileage. I think one of the most overlooked aspects to gaining fuel efficiency is sail area. Everyone talks about tune, converters, and weight (which they all have their place) but I think reducing the windage and sail are of the vehicle is the biggest thing you can do, and ****, if your trucks are commonly referred to as flying bricks, what the hell does this van resemble!
I gained over two points in mpg when I slammed my CCSB 6 years ago. The ride sucked and I didn't like the look but when it came to fuel economy I couldn't beat it. I raised it back up and lost a bit of mpg in the process.

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Something else to think about, If your gonna run a ceiling mounted A/C. Get a Honda generator and build a mount for the rear hitch. If your gonna camp in it then you can run the generator to power the AC or keep the battries charged. They are silly quiet and you wont ever know its running plus they sip fuel.
I thought about the roof mounted A/C but nixed that idea. I'm just installing a vent so that when I haul my bikes around and the gas cans the fumes don't overwhelme me. This van doesn't have those windows that pop open.

Originally Posted by chevyboy.520
I like the rhino lining! And I used to have those KMC Addicts, sweet wheels. The Lil lug looking things around the lip are a bitch to wash around, but still nice wheels. I'd do 17's or 18's, 17's would be cheaper and easier to get tires.
You should do dual exhaust 5" dP to a Y and 4" dual. Would sound beastly!
You should get a rack up top or a bar up top and mount some bright *** HID's up there. Couple spot lights!
Ok found some sweet ideas for you!
I like the roof rack and spot light and HID ideas!
I'll have to see how this all works out with it being lowered. Not sure what a Pre-runner van lowered would look like, but I'm sure it'd be a conflict of interest!
Sticking with the 17" wheels for comfort and unsprung weight reasons.
DP might just end up being 5", not sure...will determine it when I dig into the motor.

Originally Posted by Chevy_freak
Youre doing a damn good job building it up. Should be super comfortable. Also, Id just leave it white as nobody will notice it and try to get inside. Get too flashy looking and you need a good alarm.
I've thought of that as well...not sure how far I wanna go and/or how much attention I wanna garner.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
This title is soooo gay Julien !!!!!!
Change it!! Your a mod and I don't mind. Just be creative with it. Maybe all you Mods can mull it over and come up with a better one!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Project: FREE CANDY!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool project. I thnk you should paint it black with a red stripe like the A-Team van. lol
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just put "Rape Van" on the side. The word rape keeps the weirdos away.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Pedophilin' in style...

But I think you should do something futuristic...

Quick Reply: Project Man-Van