PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Ol RustTrucket

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ol RustTrucket

The old gal's name is very fitting she ain't no looker, but she's a good one. Here's a bit about the Ol RustTrucket....

Ive had it since 129k and now she's in the 165k'ish area. Anyhow it's a 01 Extended cab z71 3.73 5.3 truck with a bit of work and done nothing fancy seeing how we got three mouths to feed, a bit of a farm and we both work so she's pretty modest for now. All this that's done to her was because of a squealing I was getting which ended up being the alternator then I seen the water pump bearing was out so I ran the idea of a cam by the wife and she surprisingly said our son would love it and then one thing lead to another and seems to keep happening haha. So Here's a short an sweet list of what's done on her for the moment.

Cam dynamics's cam.
Upgraded valve springs.
Ls7 lifters.
Some clean up work to the stock heads nothing crazy.
Ported oil pump/timing chain.
Msd wires.
autolite 103 plugs.
3000-3200 stall.
Vette servo and rod.
Hayden trans coolers.
LSX intovation block offs.
Did have shorties but they leaked so now it's back to stock manifolds until I get some LT's. 3" exhaust ran into a jones turbine muffler, it does have a manual cut out but I hardly have it open.
4 or 4.5" pipe ran into factory air box with AFE drop in filter.
Tuning mostly done by atomic (Great fella and tuner by the way) but I'm trying to learn more here and there about such with the HP interface.

Other than catching it on fire the other week..... all has gone pretty good and it didn't even hurt the rust. Here's a few videos of her not the best quality from my phone but ya get the idea. Hope ya enjoy lord willing there will be more coming in the future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCLMp...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Bad01z71; 08-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

You're off to a great start... well except for the fire part

I had a friend drive me to Walmart so I could buy a fire extinguisher before I fired the new motor up. You just never know when stuff like that happens. Took an A/C accumulator bracket and mounted it using the jack tools stud and a distributor hold down... behind the seat so I'll have it with me... just in case.

Ol RustTrucket-hxqlddt.jpg
Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks she runs alright for what it is, gonna order some long tubes here in the next bit.
Yeah I also went an bought one for the truck and the rest of the vehicles the next day. A coke saved the truck, I've had nothing but issues with the shop that did the stall converter (Wish now I would have just done the stall myself just like everything else) First they didn't shim the stall right, next didn't replace a seal and poured fluid out, then the reason the fire started was the top trans cooler line popped off (didn't have the clip fully seated) coming up the driveway and trans fluid got all over the exhaust and took less than 100ft from leak to 3ft flames and smoke. Had we not got a coke beforehand she woulda burnt to the ground before I made it back from the house. All while bringing the wife back from her surgery, but has been fine after I fixed it for bout two weeks now give or take.

Investing in a fire extinguisher is a must folks ha.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

LT's suppose to be here by the 7th.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

One of my buddy's wants to help on and get his hands dirty on some go fast parts so they'll be going on next weekend sometime.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 PM
100% Redneck

Love my Speed Engineering exhaust. I've read the supplied clamps are not that good. Some just replace the soft chinese bolts with hardened grade 8 bolts. I bought the Accuseal Torca clamps and I have no leaks and they clamp down great. It's important to get a good seal near the 02's if not it effects the tune. I'd also use GM OEM exhaust gaskets instead of the bi-metal ones that come with the headers. I used the Mahle MS16124 manifold gaskets they are exactly the same as GM but cheaper around $15

Header Bolts Header Bolts

Torca Accuseal 3"

Mahle MS16124
Old 09-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've got Mr.gasket bolts and metal gaskets, but I was a bit concerned with the clamps may have to look into what you suggested. Appreciate the insight buddy!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered some of them clamps Red hopefully they work out pretty good. Did you use any copper/rtv to help seal or do the clamps do just fine on their on? I do use this truck for farm use, hauling an hunting, so it'll get some jarring.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 PM
100% Redneck

I saw in the SE tru-dual thread that some use the high temp rtv... I didn't and don't have any leaks. I thought about using some, couldn't hurt none and would guarantee a good seal.

Look at the slot locations 90 degrees to the clamp bolt.

Ol RustTrucket-as3ftxo.jpg

Ol RustTrucket-xg9aq87.jpg
Old 09-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal bud that helps a ton, appreciate ya red.

Hopefully these LT's are just what the doctor ordered and I'll be content for awhile after the results.

Last edited by Bad01z71; 09-07-2018 at 03:36 PM.