PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Not your usual performance truck, my '87 V20 Squarebody

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking truck!

Glad to see another square body on here!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well I guess I've forgotten to update this thread recently, this is where I'm at now, I pulled the drivetrain out, and sold the 350 today for $400 so next is ordering the BTR Stage III Truck Cam, LS6 valve springs, LS7 lifters and Walbro 255 fuel pump. I've started cleaning up the engine bay as well, I'm going to start painting as much as I can gloss black.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome project, those trucks aren't easy to find in good shape here either. I would tho do a disc brake swap on the 14 bolt full floater you just put in a few posts ago. Here's a link to a good setup, this setup uses 74 3/4 ton front brakes.
14 Bolt Disc Brake Bracket for Single Rear Wheels (SRW) - RuffStuff Specialties
Old 12-18-2016, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flatblack83
Awesome project, those trucks aren't easy to find in good shape here either. I would tho do a disc brake swap on the 14 bolt full floater you just put in a few posts ago. Here's a link to a good setup, this setup uses 74 3/4 ton front brakes.
14 Bolt Disc Brake Bracket for Single Rear Wheels (SRW) - RuffStuff Specialties
Thanks for the link, that's something I'm definitely doing down the road, maybe sooner rather than later.

Well guys my plans have changed some...I traded my '97 Subaru for a '92 heavy-half because it has the one thing I've wanted since the beginning.... An NV4500. Tranny feels great and is coming out tomorrow. I'm super excited for it. I'll post pictures once it's out! Switching from 4L80e to NV4500 isn't exactly the most performance oriented idea but I've always preferred to drive a manual and the NV4500 is my holy grail The Subaru was a piece anyway haha

That's my buddies truck, his '79 half ton is getting the 3/4 ton front axle from the parts truck in the beginning of the thread, and the semi floater from my truck now that I've taken the full floater from that truck. I'll post pictures of his once we start working on it
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Forgot to update this, we got the transmission pulled last weekend!

​​​​
It was disgusting so I took my transmission to the self serve car wash and cleaned it off haha, looks much better now! Also cleaned my valve covers, going to get them powdercoated by a buddy of mine, I want to get them a deep candy purple like the last picture... Hopefully they turn out as nice!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Got my valve covers done!!!

In love!!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Damn, if that were a GMC, I would think it was the truck from "The Fall Guy" TV show, back in the day. Now I am just showing my age. Thats a sweet rig, and maybe I am old, but I like the wheels it came with too.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Damn, if that were a GMC, I would think it was the truck from "The Fall Guy" TV show, back in the day. Now I am just showing my age. Thats a sweet rig, and maybe I am old, but I like the wheels it came with too.
Thanks! I've always preferred the GMC grille actually. Had a '78 GMC Sierra Grande a couple years ago.

Got my headgaskets from summit....They came like this, box was beat up so I'm blaming USPS....Had them swap out the order with some GM gaskets as I was told they're better than Fel-Pro ones, they fixed the order and shipped em out same day! Summit is easily one of my favorite companies to deal with. Lifetime customer

But anyway the rest of the complete BTR gasket kit and cam should be coming next week or the week after, cam is out of stock at BTR at the moment so I have to wait until it's in stock to order it. Going with the Stage IV truck cam now.​​
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

It's been a while since I've updated this but I've done some work on the engine, got my cam, valve springs, valve seals, LS2 timing chain and installed all of that last night

And did a lotttttt of cleaning :S

I went to install my LS7 lifters only to realize I only had 12 of them... The site I ordered them off of didn't label it clearly at all that it was only 12 so now I have to wait to get four more before I can completely assemble the engine. I did notice I have an exhaust bolt broken off in one of my heads, what's the best way of removing it??
Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

The motor is together! Very excited!

Before and after haha

Had to get some shots of my buddies 350 going in his square with it

Next is a flywheel and clutch kit so I can bolt the bellhousing on and drop the motor in the truck, then I'll install the transmission after cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter