PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Not a truck. Not a GM. Supercharged & Nitrous BMW V8 T-bucket build.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You mean add E85, right?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
You mean add E85, right?

If only, no pumps near me.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

wow... ain't seen you around in forever. i used to follow your 04 build back in the day.
good luck on this one - looks to be a real sweet rig!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Sweet project. Love it!

Richard
Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Teching In

The other DIY part of this build is the engine management, I want to take a minute to talk about my EFI controller of choice..and the history of how how I ended up there.

I've always had a personal interest in tuning, may it be carb & dizzy tuning or HPtuners. So when I started learning the in's & out's of tuning the OBD1 Bosch Motronic M3.3 system on the mid 90's BMW I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Fished the 27c512 chip out of the BMW ecm, read the chip, saved the 64kb file of binary/hexcode.

It took a couple years of learning but eventually I was able to identify roughly 60 or 70 control tables of the 130 some odd maps hidden in the code. But alot of tables & controls were unknown and unidentifiable.

Last January I took the car to the Roadkill Zip-Tie drags in Tucson, had a ton of fun and met a ton of great people.

But the car was slooow, like high 14's low 15's, when I got home I decided to convert the original Motronic EFI over to a standalone EFI that I would have full control over without any unknown variables.

I was looking at Megasquirt, too expensive. Haltech, way to expensive. EcuMasters, also waaay too expensive... then I stumble upon a budget, open source, D-I-Y fuel injection controller called Speeduino. It uses a readily available Arduino Mega2560. I believe the entire project was started simply because one dude in Australia wanted to see if he could run his 4cyl Miata off of an Arduino. It worked, not only worked but the system took off and others began to follow suit. Speeduino uses TunerStudioMS software (Megasquirt) but on it's own firmware so it doesn't share the same control tables as MS. Did I mention it's super budget friendly, I was able to get an Arduino Mega2560 and assembled Speeduino board for sub-$200U.S.

The onboard MAP sensor is good up to 21psi of boost, it has 4 injector driver channels out and 4 5v ignition logic level out so it does need external coil drivers. In order to run a V8 the injectors are wired in pairs for semi-batch fire and ignition is run in waste spark.

Taking a look at my 4.4L short block before I bolted the heads on we see that (bank 1 left - cyls 1-4 / bank 2 right - cyls 5-8) the paired cylinders are 1 & 6, 2 & 8, 3 & 5, 4 & 7. While one cylinder is coming up on it's compression stroke the other is coming up on it's exhaust stroke. Having the spark plug fire every rotation simply means it'll spark while the exhaust valve is open and spent exhaust gases are leaving the cylinder, thus a wasted spark,

Speeduino fires it's 4 channels consecutively so it's up to the installer to match it to firing order. Firing order on this engine is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 so Channel 1 = Cyls 1 & 6, Channel 2 = Cyls 3 & 5, Channel 3 = Cyls 4 & 7 Chanel 4 = Cyls 2 & 8. Injectors are wired the same way.

On the mid 90's BMW I changed the "dummy" coil on plug ignition over to two waste spark 4 cyl coils driven by an MSD DIS-4 ignition box. The Speeduino triggers the MSD box.

Speeduino runs in Speed Density (RPM vs MAP), or Alpha-N (RPM vs TPS) or Imap/Emap...which monitors both intake manifold pressure and exhaust pressure and calculates load based on the pressure differences between intake and exhaust. I use Speed Density but want to experiment with Imap/Emap in the future.

Video of first fire up and test drive after install:

In the video you can also get a sense of the BMW V8's singing voice, to my ears it's a bit like a modular era mustang.

The system self tunes it's VE table based on wideband O2 input and has plenty of accessories & outputs like boost control, E-fan, 2step rev, 2 stage nitrous controls, flexfuel sensor & injector add tables for alcohol, variable valve solenoid controls...the list keeps going.

On my T-bucket project I am definitely sticking with the Speeduino but will maintain the coil on plug with two MSD dis-4 boxes to keep clutter & wiring down in the open engine compartment.
This is why it was important to me to use the early 4.0L OBD1 timing covers and front mount crank trigger, because I already knew how to wire up the variable resistance crank sensor and tune the Speeduino to run on that trigger & set up.

Last edited by Mykk; 12-15-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Just tackling little projects and coming up with ideas for little stuff this weekend. No major developments.

I will need to solve the transmission output to driveshaft problem. On the jag rear end side I've got a U-joint flange adapter, but the BMW trans output uses a flex-disc called a Guibo. The flex disc is designed to have no deflection, it can't have any driveshaft angle. The jag rear ends pinion is offset to one side and I'm not willing to offset the drivetrain to match. So I need to find a U-joint conversion for the BMW transmission.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Great job!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Teching In

When I started putting this thing together in my head I always imagined a chopped '32 grille behind the axle. I just mocked the full length '32 grille in front of the axle and leaned back. I'm beginning to feel this might be the way to go. Cleans up the look and gives room for the water-to-air heat exchanger in front of the radiator.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Incredible work! Surprised that you do not have your own shop doing this type of work for a living.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Incredible work! Surprised that you do not have your own shop doing this type of work for a living.
I've been told and asked the same thing. The short answer is that it takes a lot of time to complete a project like this, ppl aren't willing to pay for that time and if they don't have money for parts or whatever, the project sits there occupying space that's not making you money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not a truck. Not a GM. Supercharged & Nitrous BMW V8 T-bucket build.