PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Not a truck. Not a GM. Supercharged & Nitrous BMW V8 T-bucket build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not a truck. Not a GM. Supercharged & Nitrous BMW V8 T-bucket build.

Hey Guys, I want to share a few pics & details of my current project. After I sold my Carb'd Gen1 SBC swapped 2004 NBS RCSB I picked up a mid 90's BMW 5 series with a V8 & 6 spd manual trans. The BMW was my daily driver project for 4 years. I had really grown attached to the Euro DOHC V8 & manual platform but was never really sold on the boxy mid 90's sedan it came in. As far as 90's sedan it wasn't as bad as many, but still 90's nerdy.

I had started putting together the 5 series next heart transplant and then decided to go left at Albuquerque and build an entirely different car around the drivetrain. An old school inspired type hot rod that I've wanted since I was a kid. A T-Bucket.

In my defense T-bucket guys do put tiny truck beds on them, so it's kind of a truck...? These days my daily is a '09 Sierra 5.3L/4L60E, Tuned speed density converted GM E38 PCM, borla exhaust and minor appearance mods. Not going off the deep end on that truck...for now.

Back to the bucket, lets start with the engine:

Late 90's BMW 4.4L V8 short block, shown here with RaceWare head studs. This version of the 4.4L engine is called "non-vanos" it's a two year run just before BMW introduced variable cam timing in the V8's. The variable cam version of this engine has valve reliefs in the pistons.

Also, a dismantler take out early 90's 4.0L V8 from a 7 series. This engine will sacrifice it's heads, cams, timing set up, timing covers & OBD1 front mount crank sensor & damper 60-2 crank trigger wheel. It is claimed that the earlier 4.0L v8 have slightly bigger valves & bigger cams then the native 4.4L variants. I can not confirm this as I didn't get my hands on a set of 4.4L heads & cams

Measuring the 4.4L piston height above deck. I was getting a different reading depending where on the piston I measured and found that they were slightly dished

Earlier 4.0L heads back from the machine shop:

Measured roughly 52cc of volume in each chamber:

The readily available MLS head gasket for the application comes in a 1.74mm compressed thickness. By my calc this lands static compression at 9.6:1, in stock trim they are 10:1. Out of curiosity I measured the earlier 4.0L piston height @TDC and found a +.035" with a flat top (non dished) piston. I believe the 4.4L to be taller deck then the 4.0L allowing the 4.4L piston height to be .010" lower then the earlier 4.0L, this along with cylinder volume explains the static compression difference.

Heads on and adapters for the belt driven intake manifold.

The earlier 4.0L engine uses a double row timing chain and a gear idler in the center, the native 4.4L uses a single row chain and a plastic U-guide in the middle that always shatters causing engine failure. The earlier 4.0L double chain, idler & guides are a bolt on to the 4.4L block but it 's a tight fit due to deck height differences.

The belt driven intake manifold is an Eaton M112 from a late 90's Jaguar. The Jag 4.0L V8 and BMW V8 share no similarities except for cylinder spacing. The adapters on the BMW heads allow the Jaguar supercharger, water-to-air intercoolers and injection manifolds to bolt down.

Dialing in cam timing:

Using aftermarket cam alignment tools the valve timing events landed at:

@.1mm lift:
Intake opens 12° BTDC / Intake closes 48° ABDC
Exhaust opens 48° ABDC / Exhaust closes 12° ATDC

240°/240° duration -108° intake centerline / 108° lobe separation

@1mm lift:
Intake opens 2° ATDC / Intake closes 33° ABDC
Exhaust opens 33° BBDC / Exhaust closes 7° BTDC

211°/206° Duration - 107.5° Intake centerline / 108.75° lobe separation

When it was all said and done I set up the cams for a 112° ICL and a 110° LSA, retarding the intake cams a bit to lower dynamic compression and aid in keeping the charge in the cylinder by reducing overlap.

Modifying the supercharger to bolt down to it's new home:

Pullin off, flipping around and pressing back on the drive pulley allows for belt alignment to the BMW accessories

Last edited by Mykk; 12-15-2018 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gat0r (06-20-2020)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

looks cool man
Old 12-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Of course what franken-engine hot rod isn't complete without nitrous. Originally intended to aid in cooling IAT's for short blasts.

Pictured above is a single wet shot. The fuel solenoid has since been changed to a 2nd nitrous solenoid for a 2 stage shot, 60hp & 150hp. The nitrous is activated by the standalone EFI controller and it will increase injector for the added fuel while nitrous is active.

Piecing the car together:

Started with a fiberglass '23 T body and a repro '32 Ford grille:

Picked up a mid 70's jaguar independant rear end and a BMW getrag 420g 6 speed manual trans:

Mid 90's 5 series 265mm clutch & lightweight flywheel:

Front axle, split wishbones, brakes and front wheels & tires:

Frame arrives, Speedway Motors Nostalgia frame:

Old 12-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Went goofy on the headlight mounting, headlight buckets turn with the front wheels:

And that is where I'm currently at, a big pile of parts all in mock up with nothing bolted down. I wanted to get a general idea of layout, spacing and proportion and now I feel I can start making things permanent. Starting from the rear end and working my way forward tackling one piece of the puzzle at a time.

My goal is to have it running and driving by the end of 2019. Then have it inspected, registered, legal and tuned well enough to take it on a road trip from where I live in Arizona to Los Angeles, join the Hwy1 in Santa Monica and cruise the 1 (where it's possible to stay on Hwy 1) all the way north to where I grew up in San Francisco.

Thanks for checking out my project, be sure to look out for updates.
The following users liked this post:
gat0r (06-20-2020)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Thats super cool! I am all for mixing companies and parts! When do you expect to have it on the road?
Old 12-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Thats super cool! I am all for mixing companies and parts! When do you expect to have it on the road?
I'm aiming to have it running & driving by the end of 2019. I think I've got the majority of the expensive bits out of the way (except for steering) so it's a matter of time...which is a rare commodity

Last edited by Mykk; 12-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you plan on building your own harness?
Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bottledls6
Do you plan on building your own harness?
Wiring harness for the engine, lights & accesories? Yes, I'm going to piece it together. I've already got all the sensor, coil & injector connectors. Probably use a universal hot rod EZ-wire fuse block & leads

Last edited by Mykk; 12-14-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Very cool!

This thing will be a riot! The 112 is a good rotor pack for this combination. How are these engines with RPM? Retarding the intake cam was definitely a good idea... Hell, I would go even further! You could definitely get away with widening that LSA more to extend top end power and get a flatter torque curve if they can take a few more revs. I see peak horsepower of the 4.4 was only 5400 RPM.

Do they make larger exhaust cams for this platform? I think they would go a long way...
Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Very cool!

This thing will be a riot! The 112 is a good rotor pack for this combination. How are these engines with RPM? Retarding the intake cam was definitely a good idea... Hell, I would go even further! You could definitely get away with widening that LSA more to extend top end power and get a flatter torque curve if they can take a few more revs. I see peak horsepower of the 4.4 was only 5400 RPM.

Do they make larger exhaust cams for this platform? I think they would go a long way...
You're probably right. I really wasn't thinking of making it a high rpm screamer, this thing is being put together for street fun. The end goal weight will be around 1800lbs, if I can get it to throw you in your seat through every gear I'll be happy. However, once running and if it's having trouble not pinging I will retard intake cams some more. Aftermarket cams for this platform are prohibitively expensive

Last edited by Mykk; 12-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Not a truck. Not a GM. Supercharged & Nitrous BMW V8 T-bucket build.