PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Marshal's 2002 Silverado Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marshal's 2002 Silverado Build

the first thing I plan on doing is changing the front grill. the thing reminds me of a lincoln too much. the second thing will be the wheels and tires, as i'm going to replace them with some 16 inch wheels.

the third thing I plan on doing is buying tires for it. then after that I'm going to get it tuned. the truck has a custom cam and once it warms up, it doesn't like to idle. after that everything that happens will be on a slower time frame. I might change the spark plugs sooner than later, but i'm not sure which ones. I was thinking the NGK TR6ix because that is what I have in my Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and it has a 5.3.

The truck is a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab with a composite bed, not stepside. it has 220,000 miles on it but the engine, transmission and transfer case have been rebuilt. the truck has been upgraded with flex fuel fuel injectors. future mods might include caltracs, a return fuel system, a dual fuel pump system, a turbo, a coil over setup for the front end and a 12 bolt rear end.

Be prepared for a lot of questions as I am a total noob when it comes to V8's, RWD and Trucks.

Here is a link to the cam that was installed: http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... =1090&sb=2

Last edited by 'pacheMarshal; 10-14-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Truck already has 16s on it. Do 17s to facilitate better tire choices and future brake upgrades

2002 is return fuel system, upgrade the pump if anything, and get it tuned for the flex injectors

skip the 12bolt and do a "14b" 9.5" SF. Parts are cheaper, they are more readily available and because they are old you can find more of them in yards around the country.
The following users liked this post:
'pacheMarshal (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Teching In

I plan on drag racing the truck. I have to decide how fast I want to go, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to convert the truck to RWD only.

I will definitely get the truck tuned for the injectors and the cam.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Teching In

how much ground clearance is lost by installing caltracs? am I going to have issues driving up in the mountains?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Yes, because the Caltracs will limit rear suspension articulation. Thats part of their whole purpose. They sit below the spring 2.5-3", but only in the front.

I would suggest man that you sit down and think about what you want this truck to be. It cant be a drag truck and an off road truck at the same time

A ton of power of road is worthless, especially if it overheats and breaks drivetrain parts.

Think about what this truck will be used primarily for, then buy parts accordingly. I strong dount you are making enough power to need Caltracs. Money is better spent on tires/brakes/bushings/shocks etc
Old 10-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Teching In

I'm going to leave the truck 4 wheel drive and not install the caltracs. now I have to decide on what other mods to do.

Last edited by 'pacheMarshal; 10-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Those wheels and front end look much better. There are many guys here using 4x4 trucks to drag race on the weekend as it helps to get of the line harder without running a sticky drag tire. The being said you don’t want to lift the truck if you plan to use 4x4 on the street with big power.
Since you live where there’s snow I highly suggest keeping the 4x4 and doing mods that won’t make it explode.

First things I would do is figure out a budget and a list of priorities. Fixing things to the way they should be should be on top of the list. At 220k miles I’m sure some steering components and other general maintenance items may need to be addressed. While you’re doing such items there’s a ton of upgrades that can be done to beef stuff up for future power goals.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Teching In

putting these tires on tomorrow, hopefully. cooper discoverer at3.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I just put some new tires on and the Truck still has some vibration at about 70 mph. the tires should be balanced, but i'm not sure. is there anything else I should check to isolate the problem?

Quick Reply: Marshal's 2002 Silverado Build