PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Getting the most from 5.3L on GMC Savana

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the most from 5.3L on GMC Savana

I have seen a few post on here regarding what i am trying to do and still dont know if i really need anything at all. This is a GMC 1500 conversion van and the 5.3L/4spd auto tranny seem to be a little more ''sluggish' that i would have expected.
with 67K on the engine and everything appears to be in good shape, can anyone offer suggestions as to what might be the best and easiest way to improve the performance for a trip that will include a lot of high speed highway miles.
I dont know if the 6 spd trans that usually comes on the GMC 2500 would even fit, nor if using it wold help or hurt. I know there is a fair amount of weight involved and it might just be "me" not being used to the vehicle yet. ( I just got it).
But is anyone can suggest any specific mods that would improve my driving comfort for a fairly long trip that will last a couple of months, i would lobe to hear some options that others have found to work.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Make sure maintenance is up to par and if you wanted to do anything, maybe a computer tune could for sure make it less sluggish and overall better to drive.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

^ right! Youd be surprised how much a good Italian tune up will help. Plugs, wires, filters, good fuel inj clean, even O2s. When you do that, take the batt off to reset computer and youll have a fresh start.