PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Fat Albert 04 Yukon XL 8.1L Tow Rig

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Albert 04 Yukon XL 8.1L Tow Rig

Starting a small thread on budget oriented things to make more power, tow better, get better mileage, and get control of oil consumption on my 8.1 Yukon XL daily.
Attached Thumbnails Fat Albert 04 Yukon XL 8.1L Tow Rig-image.jpeg  
Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Exterior: I had all the cladding taken off the body sides and debadged after I bought it and had the drivers door repainted, and a couple large debts pulled out. There is still a couple small dents that I still need to have taken out from the previous owner. All in all the truck is in great condition 140k miles on it rust free from Denver. Wheels are H2 with Nitto trerra grapplers. They aren't really my thing I'll admit but they have grown on me.

This is the normal trailer I pull, its an 18'+2 2014 H&H trailer and regularly 2-3 times a week I take builds to the Dyno, or personally pick up any thing and everything I can get on the trailer. Typical gross weight exceeds 15,000lbs combined. I used to do this with a Sierra denalli but it simply just didn't have Trans to do this. After I made the switch I'm much happier, it stops better, carries the weight better, and rides better loaded/ unloaded than my Sierra Denali classic 1500 did. I don't feel like I've given anything up. It's loaded SLT with 3rd row seating, captains chairs in the middle, tan leather xm, sunroof, and 6 disk.

Only things I regret is the 8.1 seems to be a sleepy giant that begs to be modded. Also the benefits of a pickup when I have to haul motors and transmissions. But it's not a terrible inconvenience.

I plan to get a baseline Dyno of the Yukon here soon.
The mods are fairly basic for now, eventually will likely snowball as usual
- Cold air intake
- Ported intake manifold by a private guy
- Efans
- Stainless Works long tube headers haven't decided on primary dia. 13/4, 17/8, 2''.. Open to suggestion leaning towards 17/8
- delete cats
- Custom tune

Also have considered freshening the transmission up but don't need to there isn't any need at this time.

Last edited by lsxperformance; 01-13-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the beginning of the Ported intake.. As for the specifics of what is removed during this process I have no idea.. I had it done by a guy that does this in his free time. This is done because the factory intakes are very restrictive, and the engine is limited on air.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a weird intake. Nice hauler!
Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
That is a weird intake. Nice hauler!
Ya that is the bottom of it, after the throttle body it necks down to a 50mm opening. Thanks ya it's decent.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool not alot of people mess with the 8.1 trucks.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Cool not alot of people mess with the 8.1 trucks.
Probly a reason for that.. Ima give it a whirl! Been kicking around the idea of ported stock heads and a cam as well. Yolo!!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:57 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxperformance
Here is the beginning of the Ported intake.. As for the specifics of what is removed during this process I have no idea.. I had it done by a guy that does this in his free time. This is done because the factory intakes are very restrictive, and the engine is limited on air.
The baffle in the front gets cut out.

Depending on how much work he puts into it, there are some other area's that can be modded as well as a little port clean up in the throttle opening area.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ilove my yukon xl,but mine came with the 6.0. I hooked it to our 32' bumper pull camper and I was sorely dissapointed so I did the next logical thing...bought a wrecked 05 duramax truck and made me a Durakon lol!! Now its a whole other animal!!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:30 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome project !

First off, Burbs rule !! V8 powah and tons of room, best most comfy vehichles ever !

I think this will be one if the best tow vehicles ever .

Does it have the 80e im thinking ( not sure if the Allison was put in a burb?)
Id rather have the 80e anyway .

As far as headers , its a big power/tq advantage thru the curve to go with 1-7/8 over 1-3/4 , so i def would go larger.

Youve prob heard of Raylar ? The only 8.1 guys i know .

But i guarantee, if it has stock gm tuning , there are def power gains to be had just with tuning , i wonder if PE mode actually is activated or when on the 8.1 ?

Bad *** project man !! Love it ! My choice for a tow rig!

Quick Reply: Fat Albert 04 Yukon XL 8.1L Tow Rig