PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   CHRGDUP Denali (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/chrgdup-denali-550749/)

CHRGDUP_Denali 10-30-2017 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5423028)
I think you'd be surprised how little the exhaust manifolds itself matter. It's more about getting the air into the supercharger and through the cylinder heads. There is a reason why CTS-V's, Corvettes and Camaro's made the power they do with cast steel manifolds.

so my stock air box and tb are a bigger set back?

smokinlmm 10-31-2017 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5423028)
I think you'd be surprised how little the exhaust manifolds itself matter. It's more about getting the air into the supercharger and through the cylinder heads. There is a reason why CTS-V's, Corvettes and Camaro's made the power they do with cast steel manifolds.

Those manifolds were designed to flow a lot more than a set of truck manifolds that were designed for torque. He has a blower, torque isn't a problem anymore. When I added my kooks it unlocked an instant 30 or so rwhp. You will make more power with less boost, if you can't get the air out that your shoving into the motor you will just make heat. Get a set of long tubes and a y pipe and you won't believe how responsive it becomes! It really woke my truck up, besides the blower it's by far the best mod so far...

CHRGDUP_Denali 10-31-2017 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by smokinlmm (Post 5423067)
Those manifolds were designed to flow a lot more than a set of truck manifolds that were designed for torque. He has a blower, torque isn't a problem anymore. When I added my kooks it unlocked an instant 30 or so rwhp. You will make more power with less boost, if you can't get the air out that your shoving into the motor you will just make heat. Get a set of long tubes and a y pipe and you won't believe how responsive it becomes! It really woke my truck up, besides the blower it's by far the best mod so far...

that is the plan, just wanted to hear his explanation. me and my dad are actually going to build an equal length exhaust for it but have to wait until I lower it and do 2 piece driveshaft swap to make sure the exhaust will clear everything.

FFDP 10-31-2017 11:21 AM

Super Chevy did a test with a 427 stroker with a 2.9 kenne bell blower on it, they did both tests stock manifolds and long tubes on a engine dyno. The end results between the two was like 20hp and 5-6 ft/lbs just from the header swap alone. Of course results vary with application.

If someone just adds headers to an already supercharged engine they shouldn't be expecting the world from them. The scavenging effect of long-tube headers does help but someone shouldn't expect to see 30-50whp everytime.

There is likely another cause if you did see such an increase, like clogged cats, restricted exhaust past the manifold.

It's just why I commented and said they aren't the biggest player in the horsepower race. There can be more gain in other parts in the engine like camshaft, cylinder heads, compression ratio and tuning.

CHRGDUP_Denali 10-31-2017 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5423079)
Super Chevy did a test with a 427 stroker with a 2.9 kenne bell blower on it, they did both tests stock manifolds and long tubes on a engine dyno. The end results between the two was like 20hp and 5-6 ft/lbs just from the header swap alone. Of course results vary with application.

If someone just adds headers to an already supercharged engine they shouldn't be expecting the world from them. The scavenging effect of long-tube headers does help but someone shouldn't expect to see 30-50whp everytime.

There is likely another cause if you did see such an increase, like clogged cats, restricted exhaust past the manifold.

It's just why I commented and said they aren't the biggest player in the horsepower race. There can be more gain in other parts in the engine like camshaft, cylinder heads, compression ratio and tuning.

that's interesting. 20hp is still 20hp though. did they run different exhaust behind headers compared to stock manifolds or kept same exhaust to strictly compare manifold vs headers? I'll be doing longtubes but will also be deleting cats and replacing stock muffler with straight through muffler at the same time. not sure exactly what the experiment entailed. on another subject, I'd like to know your opinion on vvt vs non-vvt cams for my application. already had a guy on here spec me a mild non-vvt cam that I haven't ordered yet but have really been considering keeping it lately.

dsmmace 10-31-2017 04:36 PM

Intake first, then headers. I put Kooks headers with performance cats on my stock truck. The stock airbox was definitely a restriction. Personally what I did was cut a hole in the factory lower airbox behind the headlight. I still have the factory catback exhaust.

smokinlmm 10-31-2017 08:15 PM

Intake isn't so easy with a Maggie...

dsmmace 10-31-2017 08:56 PM

You already have an intake tube, cut the lower box open or spend money. You’ll spend time and money on headers, but not do a free mod like I suggested? You’re funny! Lol

CHRGDUP_Denali 10-31-2017 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dsmmace (Post 5423125)
You already have an intake tube, cut the lower box open or spend money. You’ll spend time and money on headers, but not do a free mod like I suggested? You’re funny! Lol

I cut holes in the air box of my old truck. I can do that free mod you suggested for now if I wanted, but I will eventually be doing otherwise anyways. appreciate the suggestion.

smokinlmm 10-31-2017 09:18 PM

I hole sawed my stock air box already. My tuner wanted me to just replace the filter box and keep the Maggie tube. Fire up your 2.5" hole saw!