PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Budget built turbo silverado for $1600. Complete build inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 AM
JDC
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job man ! But you said to ask any questions. so were you wearing crocks with white socks in one of those pics? lol !
Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

why did you go from 3 to 3.5 inch for the dp? I have a 3 on my truck and i believe it flows plenty. Just wondering, the price and fitment would have been a little easier and lose with the 3.

Nice job man.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow!Nice job!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

your budget built looks better then some peoples full out bulit ive seen lol

now get some videos
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the props!! I'm a hardcore enthusiast at heart and love doing this kind of stuff!

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Lets see some in-cab vids of you rolling threw a few gears. I bet it spools fast after the gear changes.

How come you cut the bottom of your fuel bucket out?
I'll try to get video but I don't have a mount for my camera and grabbing gears and preparing for potential wheel spin while holding a camera will prove to be difficult. Also the junk NV3500 5speed doesn't let me grab 3rd gear if i'm above 5k rpm. It could be the 193k miles that are on the truck though.

The spool is good but not amazing and I still have a lot of adjustments to my timing table to do. It goes good now so I've been enjoying it more than messing with the tuning. So far the stock clutch is still holding, which blows my mind, I fear much more and it'll slip.

In the past I had an issue with a car that had an 044 in the fuel canister that would suck the canister dry before it could refill itself. While I was looking at this canister I couldn't see how it was going to even pull fuel into itself so this seemed to be my best bet. I've been down to 1/8 tank and had no starvation issues granted I don't get crazy when it's that low for fear of possibly starving for fuel. There may be better ways to go about it but it works.

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Damn good job sir!! Only thing I would change is relocate the coils...your wires will fail and soon. Now go get us some vids...please.
Thanks!! I did have a wire failure but I found they were cracked because of repositioning them, I did fear this as well though, so I got spark plug boots. We'll see how they hold up. If these ones have issues I'll look into changing the orientation.

Originally Posted by JDC
Good job man ! But you said to ask any questions. so were you wearing crocks with white socks in one of those pics? lol !
Thanks! I laughed like a fool when I read this! Nobody was supposed to see that, they're my easy to put on go out to the garage footwear. I originally got them for a halloween costume last year. LOL

Originally Posted by Choda
why did you go from 3 to 3.5 inch for the dp? I have a 3 on my truck and i believe it flows plenty. Just wondering, the price and fitment would have been a little easier and lose with the 3.

Nice job man.
Thanks!! I found the 3" bends were actually more expensive and trying to get them from that source in Iowa proved to be difficult due to the popularity of 3". I got a 4' piece of straight 3.5" from jegs for $22 shipped, the 10 bends were $60 shipped and the 3-3.5" reducers were $18 for both. I have exactly $100 into my exhaust if you don't include the muffler I already had... Oh wait I did get a 3.5" vband too. It wasn't anymore expensive than the 3" I had to get for my outlet. I think I did pretty good all considering and it fits great. The extra flow might be beneficial later on when I twist it up to its max, too.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job man. The kit looks good.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM
JDC
TECH Apprentice

Yea ok.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

very nice handy work to do it on a budget. glad its running good for ya
Old 08-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. I got more of my kinks worked out of the tune. It's coming along nice.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

nice build man. i love budget builds. stock motor? i didnt see any mods listed

Quick Reply: Budget built turbo silverado for $1600. Complete build inside.