PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

AWD LSA Denali aka Z-NaL1 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You don't have to be at TDC but helps. It's a little more difficult to break them loose and unbolt them when they are fully compressed.

Converter looks like a GM factory one but need the Code off it to see what it is. I am guessing they put it in the box after replacing it with a circle D

Cooler... There is a few ways to Skin a Cat.
good to know, I’ll go ahead and just do the TDC way then.
Also what’s the deal with having to keep the valves up in place? I’ve read guys just put a towel under the head when compressing the spring, but I’m not sure how big of a deal it is.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Little update:

Got the rest of my parts in, i ended up tearing the motor apart, and dropping the tranny over the weekend.
I got lucky and picked up a CTSV converter for a good price, since ive heard good things about those converters.

Only issue is i cant get the tranny to slip back in. Anyone have any tips? Ive got two jacks, and a friend, but we just cant seem to find the hole im assuming on the front of the converter.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I feel like I saw your truck on the beltway last week. Super clean.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze_v8
Little update:

Got the rest of my parts in, i ended up tearing the motor apart, and dropping the tranny over the weekend.
I got lucky and picked up a CTSV converter for a good price, since ive heard good things about those converters.

Only issue is i cant get the tranny to slip back in. Anyone have any tips? Ive got two jacks, and a friend, but we just cant seem to find the hole im assuming on the front of the converter.
There are 2 dowel pins on the engine that have to line up with holes on either side of the trans, the converter bolts to the flexplate after you install the trans, converter should be installed in the trans and then bolted to the flexplate
Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoshC.
Man I feel like I saw your truck on the beltway last week. Super clean.
Haha, thank you boss.

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
There are 2 dowel pins on the engine that have to line up with holes on either side of the trans, the converter bolts to the flexplate after you install the trans, converter should be installed in the trans and then bolted to the flexplate
I ended up buying a fancy trans jack from harbor freight, and was able to get it all in by myself within 30 minutes, well worth the investment.

Any of you guys have any tips for cleaning the block, pistons, and heads?
I removed all my springs and got the head somewhat clean with carb cleaner, but i dont know if i should do something about the valves.
Also how can i clean the top of the pistons without getting junk into the water coolant journals?

I assumed i can spray down the pistons with carb cleaner, and make sure to flush out with new oil? Not to sure.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran the 2.0 fox shocks with a 2'' drop spindle. It rode reallly nice. If I was going as low as you are, I'd just put a stiffer spring or bump the compression/rebound up.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mconcha
I ran the 2.0 fox shocks with a 2'' drop spindle. It rode reallly nice. If I was going as low as you are, I'd just put a stiffer spring or bump the compression/rebound up.
Thats the plan but i want to replace the spring with an air bag.
Not sure if those springs on the fox shocks are longer than the stock ones.

The bag i want expands to 9" so i have to be able to fill the coilovers in.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Update:
Being busy with school, work,and being a dad, i finally made time to make real progress on this thing.

After struggling with the transmission and installing the ZL1 Torque Converter, i started tearing the motor and cleaning it out as much as possible.

Heres how she looked prior:

After that took the heads off, and started the tear down, and probably went a litle overkill on how much i cleaned them, needless to say, they wasnt a speckle of grim on them after i was done lol.

Installed these beautiful Dual springs from BTR.

Afterwards I probably went **** again, and got to cleaning the surface of the block and the tops of the pistons.
Also went ahead and cleaned out all my bolt holes of any debri or water.

Got them as perfect as possible.

Today ill hopefully pull the cam out and install all the new stuff, including BTR PD stage 3 cam, morell lifters, trays, and sit the heads on with new ARP studs.

Here are some pics, just because i had them and look cool

Struggle of a 4 door truck and a mediocre size garage lol
Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 753 Likes on 529 Posts

That's awesome. By the way, the exhaust worked out great. Thank you again!!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
That's awesome. By the way, the exhaust worked out great. Thank you again!!
Good to hear it worked out boss!

Little Update:

DROPPED A LIFTER... DONT ASK HOW BECAUSE IM NOT PROUD OF IT.

Removed all the oil pan bolts, but it didnt seem to budge, might need to remove front diff, since i see it has to come completely straight down.

Quick Reply: AWD LSA Denali aka Z-NaL1 Build Thread