PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

86 c10 lsx build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have a friend that has been doing all my tuning at his shop but eventually I want to pick up HP Tuners so I can start learning how to tune and start tweaking it while at the track

Looking forward to videos once you get it up and running
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well she runs! Got a few little problems I have to sort out. For one thing im worried it is getting to hot in some places so I havn't let it run long. It has just a factory 190 thermostat in it and the coolant temp gauge in the truck doesn't read over 170. So I thought the gauge wasn't reading right so I checked it with my temp gun. It is reading right under 170 on the head around the temp gauge so apparently the gauge is reading correctly. But most other places I can get a reading on on the head are around 190-220 and that is as hot as it gets. But there is one spot on the engine block right under the head on the number one cyl that gets up to 300! That had me pretty worried. Is these normal because its right at the combustion chamber or is something wrong? The thermostat is opening like its supposed to after running for a bit. When I first start it up cold it runs great but after running for a few minutes the idle will start to surge and if I let it run long enough it will die. After it dies if I hit the key it will fire right back up and run fine for just a bit then do the same thing. Also if I go to drive it it will drive fine for about 20-30 seconds then just die out and if I hit the key it will fire up and run fine again for about another 20-30 seconds. Its weird and it isn't throwing any codes for any of this. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well the running problem was my fault....out of gas! Glad it was something simple. Got the exhaust put on to. I think it sounds good! Praise Jesus! I think the magnaflow glasspacks kinda keep the magnaflow sound and sound nice. I drove it hope from the shop today and took a quick vid. Still needs some tlc and tidying up.

Here ya go:

1986 c10 lsx swap - YouTube
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good, nice throaty sound!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

lets race
Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a badass build something I've always wanted to do sounds good too
Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job man, nice build. Sounds pretty sleeper.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys! I have exhaust the budget that I had set up for this so I gotta save up some more to finish the rest. Want to get it cleaned up and looking much nicer under the hood there with some better rail and fuel lines and get rid of those red hoses! That was all I had at the time. And Dalton lets do it! I will lose but will still be fun.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Well looks like I have to tear her back down a bit. After about 120 miles of great running with no problems the trans decided to take a dump! The rear planetary gears are making some really terrible sounds. When I first heard it I thought it was the rear end gears and it didn't bother me that much because they are 2.72 anyways and I have a 9" I would like to get under here. But the trans is a downer. I deff want to go back with a stronger build because I plan to turbo later down the road and dont want to have to go through this again! Never have built an auto tranny but have some friends that have with success so Im considering building one myself because I just dont have the funds right now for a built 60 unit that can handle about 600hp. What do you guys think? Know of any good kits that come with everything I would need? Been doing lots of research but the parts in the kits and prices are so different and I have yet to find a good kit that comes with everything for a 600hp capable trans.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well still working on lining up a trans. I plan to turbo in the future and get to probably about 600hp. I would hate to just put a close to stock 60 back in it because it deff wont last. The best thing may be to do an 80 swap but I have done that before and it cost me .8 in the 1/4 and about 4 mpg! I prefer the gearing on the 60e and the drivetrain loss is much less. But the cost of a built 60 to handle that much power from somewhere like performabuilt is so high! It will be an everyday driver so I deff need something that will hold up and be reliable and the economy side of it is important so that 4mpg loss throught he 80 isnt very inviting. I have considered rebuilding my 60 with the right parts to handle the job. Been doing a lot of research and searching for info on building my 60e up and looks like most of the places that offer a good complete kit arn't much less a grand! What do you guys think? Any input? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 86 c10 lsx build