PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

05 5.3 80mm turbo v6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 5.3 80mm turbo v6 swap

I bought this truck in august of 17 as a daily for work. This project soon began to go severely off course. We started with a McGaughy's 4/6 drop 22" DUB wheels. Soon after driving the truck I just realized it had very little power and didnt like the V6. I began working on on of the spare 5.3 motors for another project here is were it went completely off the rails. Motor-04 tahoe 5.3 70k on it, Texas speed 228r cam, a set of 243 head off a corvette. LS9 head gaskets, ARP head studs. this is where I thought I would stop but my son shop works for a custom car shop said we should go with gen 4 pistons and rods and a turbo. I opened the check book and began to drain it fast. We now have a gen 4 motor, VS racing 80mm turbo, Huron speed manifold and all the turbo goodies, Turbosmart controller ETC, ETC, We completely took the truck apart down to the frame to begin our build.

Before

4/6 drop and new wheels

Gen 4 rods and pistons

243 heads

Boxing in the frame

Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! Nice!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Teching In

More pictures of the progress so far. Started the coil over conversion today.

used 1/2" aluminum hard line for fuel lines

Mounted new rear Ridetech shocks Drive shaft loop installed motor

test fit the new 3.5 aluminum driveshaft.

Mocked up the cross over pipe

Used 1/2" hard line for the fuel supply, 1/4" hard line for the steam ports,

Drive shaft loop
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool project!
I'm curious what you do for a fuel tank and where you put it. I too have similar frame bracing where the stock tank would be, so I have a cell in the bed. It was the easiest option to get me running many years back, but i hate leaving the truck in the hot sun, baking the fuel. I'm looking for ideas to place the tank/cell behind my axle, under the bed.
Good luck with the project, it looks very good.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice work
Old 03-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SCOTT_A
Cool project!
I'm curious what you do for a fuel tank and where you put it. I too have similar frame bracing where the stock tank would be, so I have a cell in the bed. It was the easiest option to get me running many years back, but i hate leaving the truck in the hot sun, baking the fuel. I'm looking for ideas to place the tank/cell behind my axle, under the bed.
Good luck with the project, it looks very good.
Scott, I am planning on installing a fuel cell in the bed of the truck as well. I will be making a aluminum bed cover to try and help with the boiling problem. The heat in Arizona is stupid hot in the summer.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Finished the coil over conversion this last week and finally painted the frame. For the frame I used the summit racing chassis satin black I was skeptical about using the summit brand of paint after I was done it looks great and I was amazed at how well it was it sprayed out even with a cheap HF gun. Items for this week so the cab can go back on. Finish engine oil pan install. Rear main gasket. Install torque converter and mate trans and final install in frame. And finish wiring harness

Coil over installed

Painted the frame with Summit Racing chassis satin black.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Man you weren't kidding. That spun out of control in the best possible way! Very nice work. When hard lines are done correctly they look so good. That is correct sir.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Teching In

This week I reinstalled the hard lines for the fuel, vapor purge and return fuel lines. Cant forget trans cooler lines also and the ABS control pump and brake lines for the front and back brakes. Today my son and I dropped the cab back on to the frame.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Quick update It has taken me a few weeks to clean the rear end and install new 3:73 gears and a tru trac . I have never installed gears before after many trials and errors I think I have it. If anyone has installed gears let me know your thought. Back lash is set at 7. And pattern looks good.

Quick Reply: 05 5.3 80mm turbo v6 swap