PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at the TSP220 Cam, and I know I would need a converter and springs with that cam.

With the springs, I am thinking of getting some heads so I can gasket match, build the heads slowly vs having to do them on the truck. I have done springs off the motor (head on the bench) several times on several different sets of heads. According to an Interwebz search, it looks like my truck would have 706 heads, what would be either an upgraded head (862 heads, car heads) or milling the heads for a small bump in compression, or the like?

Converter, I dont tow very often at all, its a daily driver and the off road that it sees will be to off the beaten path fishing and hunting spots, so I can go with a higher stall speed. Was thinking of an even 3K, but very open to suggestions.

Thinking I will go with the standard long tubes, going to an off road Y pipe. Run it back to a Borla or Magnaflow muffler.

Just thinking for a direction to go to, and if I see any parts I can grab them up for cheap, especially around the holidays.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

243 or 799 heads are what you should look for. Pretty much some of the best flowing stock cathedral heads you can find used.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Vette servo showed today, I'm going to see if I can get it put in this week.

Opted for a complete unit as I hate dealing with ATF, figured I could do a quick pull and install to eliminate time apart and dealing with the fluid.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171031_150003.jpg  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Vette Servo getting installed early next week, ended up doing some family stuff today, and work tomorrow.

Rob (Vortec350SS) spec'd a cam and recomended a converter with that cam, so I am on the look out for some heads.

Build up is looking like this:

Drivetrain:
Speed Eng LT with ORY pipe, run single 3 (I had thought about 3.5, but dont know if I am moving that much air to necessitate that)
Magnaflow, or the like, muffler
CAI, probably a Volant
EFans
Vette Servo
TRuCool 40K
799/243 heads, milled, mild port and polish, valve job
Cam 216/222 .587/.578 113 +3
3200 Stall
Tune, of course. HP Tuners will be ordered soon.

Suspension:
Nothing major at all.
Adjust bars to get it leveled out (LF is 1 inch higher than RF, RF is the same height as LR, RR is one inch lower than LR. RR 2 inches lower than LF) After adjusting bars and driving some, see how measurements come out. I am wondering if bringing down the LF will bring up the RR some, as a small lever if you will, which is probably wishful thinking.
Bilstein shocks, +2 inches in the front, 0-2 in the rear, just to keep it in a usable range

Exterior:
damn thing needs a good wash/clay/wax
Billet Grill
possibly some different headlight housings, just to clean up the look
Spray the tails, either a candy red or niteshade
I do need to install my toolbox still.

Need to decide on pulling mouldings and flares or keeping them.

I am wondering about fuel, if I need to upgrade the pump or injectors. of course that is something that isnt an immediate need, but if that is a good upgrade just to have in place then I can add it to the list.

Last edited by Cameronswmp9; 11-04-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Fuel pump should be okay with those mods but the stock 25lb/hr injectors will likely max out quicker than you think. Most find a cheap set of 31lb/hr 8.1 vortec injectors to get a little head room.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

This is exciting, gonna be interesting seeing this all come together. Definitely get some different injectors, my truck is a flex fuel with the 36lbers and im guessing im near like 380rwhp so those would do, can probably get them cheap
Old 11-07-2017, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a nice combination!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Vette Servo installed today, it was a bit rough, just because it wanted to come out in one unit and the very little room. And the snap ring was a bitch to get back in.

At first, it felt the 1-2 was a bit lazy, but it felt that it pulled a bit better (could be that I just did something so I was driving a bit harder to feel it). The 2-3 was solid.

Going to hold off on the HP Tuners and go for either the intake or exhaust, then the other. Then have it tuned.

With a tune, if we turn on the EFans without the fans in place, would it throw a CEL? I would assume so....

Also got the billet grill from my brother, quick paint and clean and installed. I think it needs some polish as well, may hit it with some NevrDull and see what happens.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

So that snap ring is still being a bitch. It popped out, still there but apparently it was not fully seated. Could explain the shift. Pulling the cover tomorrow, grabbed a different cover seal just in case.

Usually I have this finished before doing anything to a vehicle, but I kept changing my mind. Stock and tube be here Monday.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171110_190447.jpg  

Last edited by Cameronswmp9; 11-10-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Vette servo is done. I pulled everything apart and double checked it all. Spring was just sitting there, but I imagine it fell as I pulled it out.

Still passively looking for heads, but probably going to get a CAI next.