PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up

I picked up this truck to replace my problematic PSD. Having such low miles, figured it will give me years of good service.

**This will not be the normal turbo 5.3 Silverado as seen here. Probably be the unPerformance Truck here compared to the badass stuff built. Yall are a bad influence, just trying to not let the bad influence that floats around weigh in here

It has some clean up work that needs to be done. The A Pillar on the drivers side has the clips all broken, so I am tracking one down (it has the Bose system in it, so it has the tweeter in the pillar, so it needs to be the same, at least to match so my OCD doesnt make me tweak out everytime I drive it). The tailgate handle is broken, the trim peice is off, and needing replacement. Searching for one of those as well.

Im not a huge fan of the radio, but it works and I can rock out Pandora, so it may be replaced, but it may not. we will see.

I have a 'in-the-bed' tool box, pulled it from the PSD but havent figured out the best way to mount it through the bedliner. But I havent really looked either, so thats on me.

Now, onto the fun stuff, making more power. Its going to be a mild, but want to have some more power to make it fun to drive.

With the bars cranked up as far as they are, its stiff. But I really like the stance of it. I am thinking of some longer shocks, had some 5100s on the PSD and it rode great, and have heard about some droop stops (never really looked for them under the trucks before) and hope that will help the ride. Maybe by the time I get to that point, I will be used to the ride some and it wont be a big deal.

I have a K&N drop in filter to go in it. It isnt going to be the end all solution, but my brother sold his Avalanche that it was in, and is in a pinch but too proud to take a hand out, so I am buying it, and a billet grille, from him. I have been reading and there seem to be some good options out there for a CAI, and I know that will help with the fuel economy as well.

Of course, a Vette Servo and TruCool 40K is going in. Probably do them at the same time, as I hate dealing with ATF, especially all over my hands. I dont think I am going to be making enough power to swap in an 80e, and with the cooler and the servo (possibly the 3-4 servo) hope to keep everything shifting nice.

There is a slight exhaust leak. I think I am going to order some LT headers and I like the SE true dual kits. I know there are some others, and I would like some input. ORY or ORX pipes are no problem.

Of course, with all of this, we need to let the computer in on the fun. I have never tuned before. I have plugged in an edge, and a superchips, but that is no where near the same league. I am debating on using a Mail Order Tune, like Nelson or BlackBear, or really digging in and reading up on tuning through HPTuners or EFILive.

Pictures are coming, depending on how fast yall are they should be the next post.

I am very interested in feedback, and I highly welcome it. If there are better components, things I have left out, that would be better suited with, by all means.

I havent ruled out cams, gears or converters, but want to get supporting mods taken care of to see where I need to go and what would work best as we go.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Pics, with the odometer for the non-believers lol.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171016_180003.jpg   04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171015_100147.jpg   04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171014_181059.jpg   04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171014_121515.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

And PT.net stickers are ordered now.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

What a gem. Do a cam and headers and a 3200ish converter. You'll be happy lol
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by settlemoore
What a gem. Do a cam and headers and a 3200ish converter. You'll be happy lol
To be honest, I don't know much about cams. I know what they do, and why changing them helps performance, but not to know why a lift of .600 does more than.500, and what durations are better, if that makes sense. I'm sure there are cams for exactly what I see out of the truck, hell there are guys running them here I'm sure, but I am hoping with the bolt ons here and spending time reading I can make a smarter buying decision when the cam time comes. Same with a converter.

I'm hoping that I can start with these supporting mods, and when I have a better idea then it will work a lot better.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Added PT.net stickers to the truck, need new tune to help with the extra power.

No clue where the period is on the 'Because Racetruck.' sticker went.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171021_160044.jpg   04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171021_160026.jpg  
Old 10-21-2017, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good looking truck!
The following users liked this post:
Cameronswmp9 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M60gov20
Good looking truck!
Thanks!

I did order the Corvette servo and reading the threads on the TruCool 40k and looking at the AN lines for them, just to be leak free and have room for the 80e if we go that direction.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Z71 Daily Driver Slow Build Up-20171021_191613.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean truck. You may not like what those cranked torsion bars will do to your suspension parts.

Good choice with the trans parts, keep us updated
The following users liked this post:
Cameronswmp9 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GM1697
Clean truck. You may not like what those cranked torsion bars will do to your suspension parts.

Good choice with the trans parts, keep us updated
I am debating on dropping them some, getting rid of some of the squat and gain some ride quality back as well. I'm looking at getting some Bilstein shocks all around, with some extra length as well.

I have been thinking about a cam recently, even doing some research on them. I know I will need rods and springs. I have not read much of the installs, I haven't replaced a cam on my own before, but have helped with a few on Ford 4.6, different setup completely, and a 347. Would it be smart to replace the knock sensors at the same time? Any adjustments in cam timing? At what point do I need to look at more internals, as in high lift and interference?

What do I need to look for in a cam? Lift durations, lift height? I do want to make it a bit spicy, but keeping it very drivable and fun. This way I can do some good looking and find everything I need.

There will be a converter coming as well. Was going to decide on a cam first, but thinking in the 2800-3000 range.

HPTuners is on the list next, just waiting for the next Bonus check, should be next couple weeks. This way I can tune as I go, adding power and keeping everything happy.