PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

03 Tan Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm stoked to get this cam in, im probably not at the level I need to be to tune for it but I'll figure it out in my 3 weeks off...hopefully. I was looking on here at some of the homemade CAIs and for 50 bucks or so I'll give it a shot...I already got an entire side of my airbox cut off
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk if that's how in depth you wanna go with it on a CAI but I figured that website can be helpful for the turbo kit also. That's where I'm getting all my random **** for my turbo build on the s10 this winter.

CLICK HERE
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AWESOME. thanks for the site, I'll see what the local shops have available and go from there
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got some work done on the truck this past weekend, but not as much as I had hoped. I wired and mocked up my F-body fans fans and painted the hardware for it so that itll look nice when they're installed.
-Anyone know if the fan type in HPTuners is Aux or 2 fans? I ask because I can turn the fans on through the vcm scanner with it set as '2 fans' but the low and high buttons on the scanner don't change the speeds, so I'm not sure if they're on high or low or what...

Also started taking the engine apart a little bit. Got the passenger side rockers off and will hopefully swap all the valve springs tomorrow. Also have my new comp cams hardened 3/8' pushrods soaking in a bucket of oil so they'll be ready to go.

Now, I'm confident in my mechanical abilities, but looking at everything that I have to pull off to do the cam swap...I'm a little intimidated. But I guess there's only one way to learn!
Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1189.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  121.1 KB
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a bunch more done on the truck today. Got it torn down to the timing chain and just have to remove the 4 bolts holding the cam plate in and the drivers side rockers and I can swap them out. Today I realized I ordered the wrong shims for my intake side springs, got .06 instead of .03 so I guess it'll be another day or so until I get them. I also made some lifter tools I'll use tomorrow out of a 4 foot piece of 3/8" steel stock.

I ended up spending about half the day trying to find a strap wrench big enough that would hold the harmonic balancer so I could get that HUGE bolt out. I never did find the strap wrench, so I just held the pri-bar on the bolt and against the frame as my buddy just barely engaged the starter. Worked like a charm
Name:  IMG_1193.jpg
Size:  112.1 KB
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I finally got everything back together last night and got a heat cycle on the cam and valve springs (kept the engine at 2500 rpm for 20 min as isky suggested). Today I worked on the idle and some did some VE Tuning. Right now I have the it idling at 675 rpm and its got a little lope to it, but its kind of rough so I still have some work to do still. Next on the list is gonna be a trucool and a 3000 stall. You can definitely tell that's where the cam starts making power, but with the stock converter its a dog below that. Right now I put the mechanical fan back on because I know it works, but tomorrow I'll probably put the e-fans on and get the tune right for them. Also threw a CAI on there. Lastly, this week I'm gonna get my magnaflow muffler put on as well as an O2 Bung welded in so I can install my wideband. I'll get an idle clip up tomorrow.
Name:  IMG_1202.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  83.5 KB
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its been a while since I posted due to the whole move and everything. But I did about 3 days of tuning after the cam swap and then loaded up the truck and drove the 500 miles down to NC. The whole rig was probably rolling close to 9 or 10k and I still got 13 mpg, I was surprised.
Name:  TowingDowntoNC.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  173.5 KB
So after getting settled in the new house I found out that there's a racetrack about 10 minutes from my house. I went down to watch one night and there was a guy with an extended cab 5.3l and he wanted to race, so I paid the entrance fee, and made a few runs. I never really intended to run it on the track because I just wanted a fast street truck, but I must admit, its pretty fun. Here is my best time on the track the first weekend I went out. It was tuned on 91 octane, shifting at 6000 rpm, and still had the mechanical fans on it which resulted in 16.45sec at 89mph.
Name:  1e11a484-d949-4bac-95c3-5f61ab9cebf2.jpg
Size:  33.6 KB
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I guess you could say that after the first time at the track, I got the bug and wanted to get better. Throughout the week I dropped the spare tire to save some weight (and will eventually drop the hitch too) and I installed the e-fans and figured out the tune for them. I could definitely feel a difference with the e-fans installed. I also did a little tuning on 91 octane, and increased the shift points to 6400 rpm. I headed back to the track on Friday and ran a best of 15.35sec at 94.5mph which was about a second better than the week prior.
Picture of the e-fans installed. Plenty of room for a cross over pipe
Name:  E-fansinstalled.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  104.0 KB
Time Slip
Name:  2ndTimeattheTrackBestTime.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  28.0 KB
So right now I'm looking to cross the line at 100mph. I'm going to remove the hitch to save a little weight, work on the 93 tune, increase shift points to 6600rpm, and hopefully install the vette servo this weekend. Then I have to wait all week to get to the track to see how she does lol
Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Get that 60ft down and it would be a solid 14.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking good!

Do you have a sound clip of the cam?

Quick Reply: 03 Tan Sierra