PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

02 silverado cam upgrade advice PLEASEEE!!!

Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

While we are kinda on the subject... what exactly is the differemce between the springs from an ls3 or even an ls6 and say an l92?? If anyone knows...
Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vista4.8
youre not gonna get a performance cam without having to upgrade valve springs. The BTR and Texas speed truck cam kits both come with valve springs.
ok im hearin ya. Thats a relatively minor upgrade considering the heads will be off anyway. But other than springs, what would be the best cam upgrade option without upgrading anything else? Like insaid way earlier i really only want to do this because my lifters are tapping and its getting worse. But while its apart i may as well gain a few ponys in the process.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 5.3litertornado
ok im hearin ya. Thats a relatively minor upgrade considering the heads will be off anyway. But other than springs, what would be the best cam upgrade option without upgrading anything else? Like insaid way earlier i really only want to do this because my lifters are tapping and its getting worse. But while its apart i may as well gain a few ponys in the process.
and also, is this a good set of springs to use with the tsp cam i picked??:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499224?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-chevrolet-performance&gclid=CLah5-_I9NICFQmewAodfRAFwA
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

and also, is this a good set of springs to use with the tsp cam i picked??:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499224?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-chevrolet-performance&gclid=CLah5-_I9NICFQmewAodfRAFwA

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1158-tsp-low-lift-cam-package-with-ls6-valve-springs.aspx

212/218 has been a proven cam since the very beginning, you won't NEED a stall converter but it's not a bad idea to get at least a trailblazer converter in there or a circle D, eventually. Get the gasket kit also. Ls7 lifters and trays along with new head bolts and gaskets. We have reused head gaskets and bolts and been fine but I can't say it's the right thing to do. So that's your call.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by vista4.8
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1158-tsp-low-lift-cam-package-with-ls6-valve-springs.aspx

212/218 has been a proven cam since the very beginning, you won't NEED a stall converter but it's not a bad idea to get at least a trailblazer converter in there or a circle D, eventually. Get the gasket kit also. Ls7 lifters and trays along with new head bolts and gaskets. We have reused head gaskets and bolts and been fine but I can't say it's the right thing to do. So that's your call.
shortly after my last reply i actually found that very kit and decided that was the way to go. I really dont feel like replacing the torque converter tho... ever. So is this deal gunna be harmful in the long run? Also, im getting a gasket kit and i may just stud the engine while im inside. The goal is ls7 lifters, the cam and springs, shorty headers with my flowmaster exhaust and a tune on e its all said n done. Anything im missing?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New oil pump while you're in there.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

shortly after my last reply i actually found that very kit and decided that was the way to go. I really dont feel like replacing the torque converter tho... ever. So is this deal gunna be harmful in the long run? Also, im getting a gasket kit and i may just stud the engine while im inside. The goal is ls7 lifters, the cam and springs, shorty headers with my flowmaster exhaust and a tune on e its all said n done. Anything im missing?
nah you'll be fine with that cam and a stock converter, a stall converter would be better and more fun but not needed in your case. You don't need head studs, buy some new head bolts and be done. You can get them at advance auto parts and they always have like 20% off your whole order deals.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM

Thank goodness. Im gunna save up for all the parts in one then take a day off and get er all done 1 fail swoop at the shop. Last question... lets say i get this whole setup complete... will it run alright until i can get the money for a tune? If not will i be able to drive it to the shop to get a tune? You guys are great help
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You should be able to drive it to the shop, may do some stupid stuff trying to idle or whatever but DO NOT by any means get on it any more than absolutely necessary to get you to the tuner...
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

I would have it tuned next day or day of. Might have to two foot it around town but it'll run. Do your research on heads and cam swap. It'll help ya a lot. And having the right tools too

Search this Thread