Notices

New 6.4L PowerStroke TT '08 F-SuperDuty

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 6.4L PowerStroke TT '08 F-SuperDuty

Ford has put a link on its website, www.fordvehicles.com fairly well describing it's 2008 model F-Series Super Duty models. These include the F-2/3/450 trucks in all variations.

The link... <~ to Fords video summary. Or you could read on and get an idea...

From what I've seen and read there, earlier predictions of this engine are fairly close to what is now being advertised by Ford. The new diesel engine is rated at 350hp and 650 lb-ft torque. Ford says the 6.4L will reach peak torque at only 2,000rpm. They add, it will start in under 2 seconds at MINUS 20* F. The other engines appear unchanged. Ford has also gone with a massively different turbo setup, and the feared EGR system we all saw coming. They've changed the cooling and heating systems too, allowing a colder A/C and hotter(or more quickly heated) HVAC system. Plus, they've completely replaced the radiator with one apparently used on the F-550 and I think I read it would have a 7 radiator system within the 6.4L engine. Along with that is a seperate fuel cooling system. They say it will take fuel temps from 150-160* down to only 70* and that must help.

With the F-450 rated to haul over 6,000 lb, the F-350 at 5,800 and the F-250 around 4,000, they seem to be ready for work. The F-450 will also tow over 24,000 and it may be inccorrect, but I think it said "conventially" and that with a 5th wheel, tow capacity is "astounding." I'd expect 24K USING a 5th wheel, but conventionally?

Personally, I'm not sure I'll really want a truck bigger than a 1 tonner. If I do though, that one looks pretty good. After looking them over, there are some nice additions. The upgraded power is always nice, but one can only hope it's as underrated as the last engine, but holds up far better under extreme boost conditions.

The tailgate has that "simpleton lift" design, and that's cool. A guy like me hardly cares though... I'm used to the "old-fashioned" arm strength system. But what's neat is... A step comes from the lowered gate and drops to make it easier to climb aboard... Also added, a bar that they say is strong enough for a heavyweight for added stability while climbing in. Ingenious? Not really. About time is more like it. All pickups could use that. I just wonder why it never happened before... Like, 1950?

I don't dislike, but I don't care for the headlights myself. They look too spread out top to bottom and they say they're lower than before in order to help oncoming drivers see the road, as well as those just ahead. Well that's great and all, but the last model wasn't a big issue there.... The one before it...WAS! I don't care for the... "Look, another Dodge..." grille either.

Ford claims it's quiter than ever too, thanks in part to "QuietSteel"TM and other changes, like the body bushings. Something about being made of polyurethane or the like, but even more special ... Again, about time.

Seems to be about as wide and long and tall as before, but I didn't check on that. I did take note, it turns much easier, or at least in a much smaller area than before. The video shows a Ram-3500, then a GM 3500 and then the F-350.. All were duallies, so I think 3500's. The 1st two needed basically 5 lanes to complete a U-turn. The F-series needed about 4. These were all CREWCAB models.

They discuss the rear springs too, stating they're some 8" longer than the previous model. That's alot and maybe too much, but they like it. Of course, when you're in a duallie, it's going to be a bit rough regardless.

And remember the recent commercial showing a duallie helping to pull a big truck out of a small tunnel? Well they mention these front tow hooks being rated at up to 30,000 pounds. Dat'zalot.

Welp, that's a quick and incomplete summary. If you're interested, check the links. Btw, no pricing was available. Sucks too, because that's what I was looking for(along with diesel output numbers). I'm curious about the jump from current to next generation.

PS I'll bet this one will be a BEAST to work on!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope its better than the last PSD... that one was a POS!! atleast ours was. and the new look is just goofy!!

and they are always nice when they are running,,, wait till something goes wrong..
Old 10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

I suspect when something is wrong, you'll wanna kill people... Then again, I've been that way over nearly every repair when new to an engine. After seeing all the changes/uprades, this 6.4L will be a royal pain to work on I think. Even "small repairs" will suck.

The last PS wasn't bad really. It wasn't meant to be modified and whatever Ford was thinking, they dropped the ball on that part. Stock for stock, it outpowered both competitors until GM produced the latest version of the D-max. Ratings be dammed, it was quicker, pulled loads quicker on flats or uphill, and weighed hundreds more than either of the others all the while. That said, I'm not too crazy about the 6.0L either. But it is what it is. I certainly like the 7.3L PS more regardless. Not only that, I like the Cummins far more, and I like the current D-max more as well. I don't usually need "all that" power in a truck, though it's nice to believe it is available.

BY THE WAY... I highly recommend people by these as soon as they come out. That way, if there ARE issues, I'll already know to pass on that truck!

The looks... Like I said, I don't care for the front end too much. Don't hate it, but I don't want a truck that looks so much like a Dodge. I think maybe that's why Ford added "SUPERDUTY" across the front and rear, so people would know the difference!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man you aint right.. haha.

Yea we just got a 06 LBZ Dmax with 6sp ally. i weighed it before we left monday, it totaled 14,800lbs with us in it. I cant believe how quick it still is with all that weight. I know if i were to buy a new truck... this would have to be it. I just dont like the fords interior and not comfortable to me. This new one might be wayyy better than the older ones, but i dont care to find out.

Looks kindof they are tryin to impress the higher ups with the interior? I have always like the interiors of GMs. not to metion how much more comfortable the seats are and the smooth ride.

We had a 05 F-350, it did ride just a little better than the 03 F350 we have. But the seats felt like you were sittin on plywood or somthing. No one would drive it either, we were scared we would get a few miles down the road and it would screw up on us.

We just got back from South Dakota in the 03 F-350 pulling a 16' Van Body Trailer. 1470miles one way!! I was super glad to get out of it.

We usually go in groups of 2 men, so at lunch we switch. I ride shotgun in the morning and drive after lunch. But on our way to Indiana this week i drove first shift, and drove the Duramax for 8 hours (thanks to the 95gal fuel tank in bed) pulling the trailer and never got tired. It just feels like im driving my truck. After 3 hours behind the F-350s my arms and shoulders are killin me and im ready to bail.

Not to mention it is easier to sleep in the Dmax.. haha Seats are way better.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Need More N2O Mod

the new fords look nice, the new interior is step up from the 06/07s. I am cruious to see how the 6.4 is going to do. my 06 is great. the seats are not that bad. not as soft as the gm's but i am 280ish so i can make the fords give a little. I think the new tail lights are a little small compaired to the rest of the truck.
I love taking my 6.0 on trips, it has plenty of room and gets decent milage. Last month i made a 3k mile round trip in it and i drove it 15 hours strait minus getting fuel. and it wasn't bad at all. just bought a trailer to tow my ss with so that will be the test on a long trip.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I just cant say Im crazy about a factory TT, They seem to have enough issues with one but its supposed to be the small to big style TT like a supra. Hope it works. I also agree, buy them as soon as they come out and post a report. Just hope they improved the Crank sensor.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mwalls54
the new interior is step up from the 06/07s.
I thought it was essentially the same interior altogether, aside from additional plugin ports. I hadn't noticed much as far as exterior diff. either, except the grill/headlights and the vented badging.

Last month i made a 3k mile round trip in it and i drove it 15 hours strait minus getting fuel.
Huh? At what, warp speed? I drove 15 hours to go from north central FL to NE Ohio last week, a trip I've made several times now. It's about 1,000 miles.

15hours non-stop in any vehicle just HURTS me anymore. I know I'm gettin' old and slow, but damn!

I think the TT setup will work fine, particularly if left to do it's job. The price, on the other hand... I ain't so sure I'll like that.

Does the crank sensor have problems in the 6.0L? I know the 7.3L had issues throughout the PS run, but didn't know the 6.0 followed suit at all.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Need More N2O Mod

no the 15 hours is about 1400 miles or so, texas state line to the east coast. i run 90 most of the way on the interstate. the dash has changed alot. looks like they use the some of the same buttons and switches but its all different. here is a pic of my dash

my neighbor has a 00 7.3 and he just had to change the crank sensor at 185k. and thats the only problem he has had and he treats it like crap.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I can't really see what's different in the dash, but I agree it is different. I guess I just don't think it's far off. Not that I care either way personally. I mean, I think the whole "looks" thing is overboard these days.

The 7.3L crank sensor issue... Oh, I remember that. I drove a 95 that turned over 200,000 and a 98 over 100,000 and the 98 did okay, but the 95 went through two of them. At about $140, they're not cheap. Of course, the 8 minutes it took me to replace it was a nice part. Took 1 minute to find it and 7 to replace it.

Btw, nice Captains chairs. Those look firmer than the 98's. The 95 got a set from a 95 van. WOW they were comfy, for a big ugly pickup anyway.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Need More N2O Mod

the dash actually looks like the f150s

Quick Reply: New 6.4L PowerStroke TT '08 F-SuperDuty