PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   NITROUS OXIDE (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/nitrous-oxide-160/)
-   -   Putting a bottle in my toolbox. Too hot? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/nitrous-oxide-160/putting-bottle-my-toolbox-too-hot-392969/)

RandomHero 05-16-2007 06:40 PM

Putting a bottle in my toolbox. Too hot?

Well I just picked up my nitrous kit and I'm gonna run a 125 wet shot. I'm planning on having the nitrous setup hidden and I was going to put it in a small toolbox I have in the bed of my truck. I also have a tonneau cover as well. I mainly wanted to put the bottle in the toolbox so it doesn't get stolen or so it doesn't get hit with a baseball bat or other crap I keep in my truck.

So my question is: Do you think this setup is going to get the bottle too hot? I live in Austin Texas and it gets up to about 110* down here. The bottle will obviously be out of direct sunlight, but it gets pretty hot under the tonneau cover.

Does anybody have any suggestions to setting everything up? I don't want to have the bottle blow up underneath my tonneau cover

.T. 05-16-2007 07:19 PM

Just hook up a blowdown tube and aim it down thru the bottom of the bed.

RandomHero 05-16-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by .T.
Just hook up a blowdown tube and aim it down thru the bottom of the bed.

well that's not the thing that bothers me. I don't think if that happened and it dumped the nitrous in my tool box would bother me. Then again I don't really know what that's like.

I just want to know if what I'm doing is smart or if anybody else is running a nitrous bottle in a location that is prone to high temperatures.

nonnieselman 05-16-2007 07:36 PM

The bottles are designed to hold alot of pressure. We leave our Nitrogen, Oxygen, Asclyten bottles out side in the direct sunlight the pressure might rise an addition 100-500psi but thats it. Look at it on the bright side... atleast your bottle is goin to stay warm... :judge: I wouldnt worry about it, sounds like a good idea.. out of sight and locked down.

Go for it

RandomHero 05-16-2007 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
The bottles are designed to hold alot of pressure. We leave our Nitrogen, Oxygen, Asclyten bottles out side in the direct sunlight the pressure might rise an addition 100-500psi but thats it. Look at it on the bright side... atleast your bottle is goin to stay warm... :judge: I wouldnt worry about it, sounds like a good idea.. out of sight and locked down.

Go for it

Sweet, that's sounds good!

Now, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone....

What do y'all think about me doing a WOT switch and pushbutton setup so I can spray exactly when I want

I have a window switch but I like the idea of being able to spray when ever I want so I can adjust depending on traction issues and stuff.

.T. 05-16-2007 07:45 PM

The bottle won't blow until it hits 3000psi. Then, it'll bead blast everything in your tool box. The blowdown tube is a smart move.

The WOT switch is your spray button. If the system is activated, it just works. Dunno why you'd add a second switch?
The WOT switch from DynoTune can be trained to activate at any throttle position.

nonnieselman 05-16-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Sweet, that's sounds good!

Now, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone....

What do y'all think about me doing a WOT switch and pushbutton setup so I can spray exactly when I want

I have a window switch but I like the idea of being able to spray when ever I want so I can adjust depending on traction issues and stuff.

That what i was goin to do.. WOT switch and a Button..... WOT switch is to insure that your are actually at WOT. and the GO button to spray on command... pretty cheap way to do it.

.T. 05-16-2007 07:54 PM

I'm totally confused. If you're already running a window switch, why would you add a button after the WOT switch? Why use the WOT switch at all?

RandomHero 05-16-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by .T.
I'm totally confused. If you're already running a window switch, why would you add a button after the WOT switch? Why use the WOT switch at all?

no no, I haven't installed anything.

I picked up a nitrous express kit complete with everything plus a window switch, bottle heater.

I want to just run a micro switch and push button switch. It's my understanding that if I wire them together, the system won't spray unless both are engaged meaning I'm WOT and I'm pressing the button.

EDIT- The reason why I would add a button after that is because I don't want to spray through shifts, I can have control of when I spray out of the whole to maximize traction, and because I like the idea of having full command of the nitrous. The push button is like $10 so I figure if I don't like it, i'll just ditch it and run the micro switch

1slow01Z71 05-16-2007 08:27 PM

already told you what I thought and my experience it will be fine