NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Does Nitrous Require tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does Nitrous Require tuning?

so im new to the nitrous game. been trying to do my due diligence and research nitrous. i checked the FAQ and did a simple "tune" search but my question wasn't answered, so im sorry if this has been asked before. my build... 5.3 lm7 iron block with fully forged internals, prc heads, tbss intake with tbss fuel rails, aeromotive fpr, and 90mm ls3/ls6 fbw tb, and it supercharged. ive read from different nitrous kit manufacturers that additional tuning is not needed for a wet kit and a wet kit is what i wanna go with. so, is this tuning statement true? i only asked cuz i will be installed the engine and having it tuned within the next month, but i dont wanna do that if the nitrous kit needs to be installed also, as i need to get the nitrous kit. so am i safe tuning my new engine and adding nitrous later without an additional tune, or does everything need to be tuned at once? thx in advance gents.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Well if you like your motor, you should tune it, by all means

You might be able to fudge it with colder plugs (TR6s) and spraying nitrous AFTER the MAF to keep the IAT up (wont cold advance this way). Fueling will most likely be "ok", IE rich enough to not burn up, but not optimum power. Timing is what you worry about

Truth be told tho, youve invested in a built motor, I wouldnt be willing to risk 3-4k on a $600 dyno session, Id get it tuned.

To further clarify this: I would order the nitrous kit and do the tune session all at once, with everything installed. I read that you were supercharged and I am not sure where your IAT is, but it should be post boost, so it might be ok as it

Last edited by arthursc2; 04-01-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Well if you like your motor, you should tune it, by all means

You might be able to fudge it with colder plugs (TR6s) and spraying nitrous AFTER the MAF to keep the IAT up (wont cold advance this way). Fueling will most likely be "ok", IE rich enough to not burn up, but not optimum power. Timing is what you worry about

Truth be told tho, youve invested in a built motor, I wouldnt be willing to risk 3-4k on a $600 dyno session, Id get it tuned.
those were my thoughts also. ive always been under the impression that any significant change should require a retune, but seeing different claims of "no tuning needed" made me skeptical and ask. thx for your input.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

On a stockish engine you can get away with a small wet shot without tuning (but still recommended to use colder plugs), but for anything more than a 50 shot you should pull some timing. Especially you being supercharged you should definitely tune for it.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

or you could just let it ride & roll the bones
The following users liked this post:
foose04 (04-03-2019)