New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Newbie but OLDIE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie but OLDIE

Hello all out there. I used to be on here quite a bit about 10 years ago. I just recently bought a 2003 tahoe Z71. Its not the same as the 99 silverado I used to have. But im excited to tinker and improve this ride as well.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Welcome to the site Budd. I have an 02 Tahoe myself, good amount of goodies on it. I use it as a tow/camping/exploration rig. She is also a Z71 package SSV. Her first life was with the New Mexico State Police.

What plans you have in mind for your truck? any pics?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome 2wd 01 tahoe here
Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Welcome to the site Budd. I have an 02 Tahoe myself, good amount of goodies on it. I use it as a tow/camping/exploration rig. She is also a Z71 package SSV. Her first life was with the New Mexico State Police.

What plans you have in mind for your truck? any pics?
I'm wanting to do the SSV upgrades.
The stock brakes are s#!t especially when towing.
I'd like took get an HD hood to make the front look a bit larger. I've put a RC lift kit on it and some larger tired. Changed the headlights and front turn signals. There's lots in store for this truck.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Teching In

The following users liked this post:
Slowyota (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I've always liked barn door tahoes. Slap a HD hood on it and then start looking at power mods.

For brakes upgrades the best thing I did was a Hydroboost swap. The difference in pedal feel is incredible! You could also do a 05+ front brake swap. They use a 13in rotor instead of your 12in and its completely bolt on.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
I've always liked barn door tahoes. Slap a HD hood on it and then start looking at power mods.

For brakes upgrades the best thing I did was a Hydroboost swap. The difference in pedal feel is incredible! You could also do a 05+ front brake swap. They use a 13in rotor instead of your 12in and its completely bolt on.
I'm definitely going to upgrade the brakes, it hard to find a factory HD hood. Seems like everyone grabs them up immediately
Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

With photobucket being trash, and I dont another photo hosting service lined up, click this link to see my rig:
View this post on Instagram

Barn door SUVs are the absolute ****. When I bought my Tahoe, it HAD to be 4wd, 5.3 and barn doors. Damn I love my truck. As for the HD hood, I have 1 on the truck, 1 in storage. I hate aftermarket sheet metal, and I bought both my hoods lightly damaged. I have ~$300 + time and welding into the first one and ~$120 in the second one that needs some welding and PDR. If you find a clean OEM HD, jump on that **** ASAP.

Your other thread about the exhaust: yes truck exhausts fit. I used TSP long tubes, built my own Y and tied that into an OEM 6.2 muffler with a dynomax bullet and a Helmholtz resonator off the back of the muffler. You can use TSP/ Speed Engineering/ Pacesetter long tubes/y pipes without issue. You can use a duramax cat back for 4" if you wanted.

Good luck

Last edited by arthursc2; 08-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
With photobucket being trash, and I dont another photo hosting service lined up, click this link to see my rig: https://www.instagram.com/p/BigCKfpl...n-by=arthursx2

Barn door SUVs are the absolute ****. When I bought my Tahoe, it HAD to be 4wd, 5.3 and barn doors. Damn I love my truck. As for the HD hood, I have 1 on the truck, 1 in storage. I hate aftermarket sheet metal, and I bought both my hoods lightly damaged. I have ~$300 + time and welding into the first one and ~$120 in the second one that needs some welding and PDR. If you find a clean OEM HD, jump on that **** ASAP.

Your other thread about the exhaust: yes truck exhausts fit. I used TSP long tubes, built my own Y and tied that into an OEM 6.2 muffler with a dynomax bullet and a Helmholtz resonator off the back of the muffler. You can use TSP/ Speed Engineering/ Pacesetter long tubes/y pipes without issue. You can use a duramax cat back for 4" if you wanted.

Good luck
thanks a lot for the good info. I'm getting some towing mirrors like yours soon. The stock ones are just a little small when dragging a trailer.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I just broke my pass side mirror on my house yesterday. Talk about pissed. I got those mirrors about 5yrs ago for $60, they are OEM heated/power. Now I was looking for a used OEM one to replace the pass side with and match the faded driver side. No luck. Looking at new OEM for ~160/ea. Then I'll have a used RH mirror for when I bash that one too. Lame.

Quick Reply: Newbie but OLDIE