New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New to performance scene

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to performance scene

Hey all pretty new to performance mods besides bolt ons so I figured I would join up here to expand my knowledge. Not new to GM trucks or forums just looking to gain some good insight on power bulding thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Hey bud I'm marc. I own a 06 GMC rst ext cab that I'm about to throw cam and turbocharge man.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. What mods we will recommend will depend on your goal. What are you wanting out of the truck?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

How fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend? (this is really the same question)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

cheap haha. Im not a huge speed demon, truck will never see track time but I do enjoy an occasional street romp with friends. I like a good running V8. Looking at picking up a used cam and some long tubes maybe an under drive crank pulley. But considering just saving about 2k and going front mount. Truck has high miles though 166k and its my DD
Old 02-13-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome! These guys will give you way more info than you need, so watch out haha.

As long as you properly change the oil and typical maintenance, 166K is nothing for these motors. The beauty also is if it blows you can just run down to the junk yard and get another one for $500 or less.

You will need more $$$$ for boost, transmission will have to be beefed up or swapped to an 80e, injectors, fuel pump.....and so on, but if you do plan to go front mount then don't bother with headers.

A cam choice is the hardest decision to make in life lol IMO but I feel like it is always better to go a little smaller than too large.

Good luck
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I'm down playing how much it would cost to run a front mount. I know i would need more fuel and a tune but was under the impression my trans would hold under a little boost as long as I don't mash through the gears. Maybe N/A is the way to go haha
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I would do a medium cam around 218/218 on a 114 with a 3000 stall converter and youll be all set.

Wouldnt recommend FI based on what you said.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atomic
I would do a medium cam around 218/218 on a 114 with a 3000 stall converter and youll be all set.

Wouldnt recommend FI based on what you said.
Wouldn't need to worry about stall cause of manual, yeah I'm on the lookout for a good used comp in that range with 112. May have a lead on some ls6 springs
Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Bringing this thread back with a bump. Not gonna go FI or even open up the 4.8. Plan is to do some bolt ons this summer. Already have the airaid MIT and a single mandrel bent 3" exhaust with an aeroturbine from the stock y back. Debating on who to use for my tune.

Blackbear will be in my area next month and could do an in person tune for a little less than 300. Or there are a few diablo intunes floating around and I could load a canned 93 and perfect the timing and fuel after some logging to make it a little more custom and to hold me over until I get headers then go custom with a diablew from lew. Either way I can have the fans turned on which is what I plan to do next after a tune.

Question: Underdrive pulley? Worth it or more trouble than its worth on the street? This truck is a part time DD. Regardless these are the power plans and the truck needs a kick in the butt after installing heavy Silverado SS chrome 20's and even heavier 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

After the bolt ons and a training school for the military in 2016, the plans are either an ATK Sp93 lq4 long block or a Thompson lq4 long block and swap the bolt ons over and see how I like that. Maybe a 4.30 gear swap too to get these tires rollin. Trans is happy, newer clutch and I don't powershift it or anything crazy so its just fine. Id like to upgrade the hydro line going from the master cylinder to the salve but theres little info on it.

Last edited by slick_sierra; 05-17-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: New to performance scene