New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New Member from Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member from Kansas

Hi all. I signed up for this site after having some issues with my truck last week. She's drinking oil like crazy I thought since I had joined, I should pop over here and say hello to everyone.

My truck is a 2009 Silverado 1500 CC LTZ 4x4. I have owned it for about a year, and it currently has 98,5xx miles on it.

Originally when I bought it, it was pretty much 100% stock. I added some step rails immediately as my wife and kids couldn't get up into it! Other than that, I didn't have huge plans for it.

Sadly, the day after making the first payment on it, some high school girl failed to yield, and pulled out in front of me.. While I was mad at the time, it worked out in my favor. I was able to upgrade to a cowl hood and different headlights, as well as have the entire front end repained, at almost no cost to me. So, silver linings and all, at least it has gotten some visual upgrades.

I am hopeful that, at worst, I build a new non-afm motor for it, and that she can have a long and happy life in my garage.

Here is a picture from when I picked it back up after getting repaired

Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice looking truck!

Any other symptoms? DOD can have effects on these engines in more ways that failed lifters. I would venture a guess that is the root of your problem.

If it was me (and I have been there) I would put in a gen 4 iron block 6.0 from an HD. Its a nice upgrade and its actually less expensive than trying to keep the alum block 5.3. Do a small cam and whatever other mods you may want, if any, and never look back. It will add a lot of power.

Is it a 6 speed truck?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Nice looking truck!

Any other symptoms? DOD can have effects on these engines in more ways that failed lifters. I would venture a guess that is the root of your problem.

If it was me (and I have been there) I would put in a gen 4 iron block 6.0 from an HD. Its a nice upgrade and its actually less expensive than trying to keep the alum block 5.3.
Thanks man! Only other symptom was that when it got low enough (even though I had recently checked dipstick and it looked fine) that a lifter collapsed and was slapping around like crazy. I was 4200 miles into oil change, and it had drank ~4 quarts. No low-oil light on either.

I have actually decided a 6.0 is probably my best bet. Sounds like I could even find/build a shortblock and use my 5.3 top end? I was going to make a specific thread for this, as I need to know what all engines are possible for an almost direct swap (outside of tuning, of course). I am underenthused with the power of the 5.3 (my 6.2 camaro doesn't help this ), and seems like a 6.0 with a small cam would be a great increase in torque! And yes, 6 speed transmission. I am concerned about how that will hold up to the power, though.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The 6 speed will be completely fine. They are strong.

I will chime in on your other thread.