New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Hello and I need some guidance by those who know

Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am looking at a gear swap from the factory 4L60E with 3.23 to either a 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10 so I would like to hear from you guys what would be a good but not overkill gear,

I am thinking about getting that E1838P with 216/220 Cam RedXray The price is affordable, but I am in a quandary between that or a lower spec cam, now with the above cam my stock converter will work?

ZO6Ted mentioned a shift kit and servo and I have no clue what to get

I have read good things about the Y and H pipe and everyone says to go with long tube headers if you want to see any Hp boost (as I said I had a shop put on a catback dual exhaust with 2 Flowmaster 40 series (someone said Chokemasters? WHY are they) and it isn't crazy loud but it is damn sure noticeable) I am not all that fond of the old cherry bomb glass pack cracking sound, more of a low roar rumble guy myself but these flowmasters are pushing that boundary already

As always I appreciate everyone's guidance
Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Basically anything in the 212/218 or 216/220 range works with a stock stall converter. The slightly larger cam is on a very edge of usage with a stock stall, a trailblazer stall would be more ideal if you ask me because it stall slightly higher than a 1500 truck stall.

Pick the gear ratio based on your needs, we can't tell you what to run. This is where you need to put in the time to figure out what you want for your truck. Do you want alot more pep but high freeway revs and possibly less fuel mileage. Do you want minimal change or do want something in the middle like a 3.90 gear ratio.

Stick that kind of stuff into a online gear ratio/speedo calculator to give you all the details you will want. It can give you almost exact info based on transmission gearing, rear end gearing and your current tire size.
The following users liked this post:
CrewsControl (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

most people ain't a fan of flowmasters because of the chambered design, which is more restrictive than a straight-through style. i've got a dynomax ultraflo, and it still sounds great with the deep rumble, but it also flows a lot more air than my previous mellowtone chambered muffler