New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Fresh meat from coastal NC

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I'm hoping to drop the Hoe during the holidays. Something always comes up when I'm preparing to do it. I've had the parts for about 2 years haha. Lookin forward it though.

Not too familiar with the guys either, I stick in the fab shop for the most part.
I'm with you, don't know anyone in the business.

Thanks, though I prefer automotive over boats haha. I cant believe the amount of builders around here. We're slammed, I can just imagine about all the other builders to. Crazy.
I'm trying. I was even offering people free exhausts, just so I could document it from start to finish. I lost all of my previous work in an old computer when we moved. Since I was new to the area and nobody really knew me, people thought I was a wackadoo for offering it.

Aint that the truth. The boy was by yesterday and dad came by today. I think the boy complained about the hardtop, they were all gathering around it today.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. My boss really makes it easy for me haha.

It really is funny how competitive it is. The money involved is ridiculous.

90 footer, holy crap, 50 knots, good g-d. Suckin down gas is an understatement, wowza.

Twin 2600hp motors and 4400 gallons of fuel. Holy crap, I can just imagine the bill for filling up.
Yup; New boat orders are up around here after a several year stretch of slow times. My bud at J - Bay told me last evening that they have recently signed two contracts for 60 + foot sport fishing boats. He told me that their whole shop is covered up in work and that with the completion dates for the jobs they've got, they need more workers. It's a good time to be a tradesman in the boat industry around here, anyway.

I hope that your car work gets up and running for you. It would be great to have a good custom fabricator around here. There are some guys working in shops who do some good work but it would be great to see a dedicated custom shop get going.

I talked to my bud again last night about the 90 foot boat. The fuel lines are 1 inch lines. She sucks down 200 gallons per hour at cruise speed and 250 GPH at WOT. Not sure what diesel is going for at the fuel dock these days but I figure that its likely $4.00 or better. Looks to me like it costs at least $800.00 an hour just in fuel to run her, (There's a full time captain on the payroll, too. Not sure about a mate. There is monthly if not weekly / daily upkeep to be paid for on a boat like that too).

Last edited by One eyed Jack; 12-07-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 401 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I'm hoping to drop the Hoe during the holidays. Something always comes up when I'm preparing to do it. I've had the parts for about 2 years haha. Lookin forward it though.

Not too familiar with the guys either, I stick in the fab shop for the most part.
I'm with you, don't know anyone in the business.

Thanks, though I prefer automotive over boats haha. I cant believe the amount of builders around here. We're slammed, I can just imagine about all the other builders to. Crazy.
I'm trying. I was even offering people free exhausts, just so I could document it from start to finish. I lost all of my previous work in an old computer when we moved. Since I was new to the area and nobody really knew me, people thought I was a wackadoo for offering it.

Aint that the truth. The boy was by yesterday and dad came by today. I think the boy complained about the hardtop, they were all gathering around it today.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. My boss really makes it easy for me haha.

It really is funny how competitive it is. The money involved is ridiculous.

90 footer, holy crap, 50 knots, good g-d. Suckin down gas is an understatement, wowza.
A
Twin 2600hp motors and 4400 gallons of fuel. Holy crap, I can just imagine the bill for filling up.
Welcome to the world of excess. Nothing surprises me anymore, careful what you put out there though, the people who buy and build these things are very sensitive about people talking about their boats. Especially, if they are still under construction...
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Welcome to the world of excess. Nothing surprises me anymore, careful what you put out there though, the people who buy and build these things are very sensitive about people talking about their boats. Especially, if they are still under construction...
Good point taken, and acted on.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by One eyed Jack
Yup; New boat orders are up around here after a several year stretch of slow times. My bud at J - Bay told me last evening that they have recently signed two contracts for 60 + foot sport fishing boats. He told me that their whole shop is covered up in work and that with the completion dates for the jobs they've got, they need more workers. It's a good time to be a tradesman in the boat industry around here, anyway.

I hope that your car work gets up and running for you. It would be great to have a good custom fabricator around here. There are some guys working in shops who do some good work but it would be great to see a dedicated custom shop get going.

I talked to my bud again last night about the 90 foot boat. The fuel lines are 1 inch lines. She sucks down 200 gallons per hour at cruise speed and 250 GPH at WOT. Not sure what diesel is going for at the fuel dock these days but I figure that its likely $4.00 or better. Looks to me like it costs at least $800.00 an hour just in fuel to run her, (There's a full time captain on the payroll, too. Not sure about a mate. There is monthly if not weekly / daily upkeep to be paid for on a boat like that too).
It's amazing how busy it is. I hear yah about work, we're in the same boat. We have work laying around everywhere, never mind what's coming in, it really is crazy. I agree, it's definitely a good time to be tradesman in the boating industry.

haha, thanks man. Slowly it will, I hope. There really is nothing out there. It surprises me because there seems to be a lot of gearheads around.

I'm shocked at some of the boats, I can just imagine the amenities a 90 footer would have. That's a huge boat.

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
I'm realizing this more as get familiar with this industry. I'm definitely green when it comes to boating or sport fishing world.
It's one big competiton